The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

So, referee is wrong and there is in fact team control during a FT while the shooter is holding the ball. Thank you. I just expected a little more than that from a magazine like referee.
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpfive
I just expected a little more than that from a magazine like referee.
Why did you?
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 05:16pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
4-12-1
A player is in control of the ball when he/she is holding or dribbling a live ball inbounds. There is no player control when, during a jump ball, a jumper catches the ball prior to the ball touching the floor or a non-jumper, or during an interrupted dribble.

During a FT, is a player holding a live ball inbounds? You tell me, ctp5.
Yabut, if the free thrower isn't holding a live ball, has never held a live ball, his teammates haven't held a live ball, but that live ball is at his disposal ,is theer or is there not team control?

You tell me, anybody.
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Yabut, if the free thrower isn't holding a live ball, has never held a live ball, his teammates haven't held a live ball, but that live ball is at his disposal ,is theer or is there not team control?

You tell me, anybody.
Does the word disposal appear in the rule?

4-12-1
A player is in control of the ball when he/she is holding or dribbling a live ball inbounds. There is no player control when, during a jump ball, a jumper catches the ball prior to the ball touching the floor or a non-jumper, or during an interrupted dribble.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 05:28pm
PYRef

A player is in control when he/she is holding or dribbling a live ball inbounds.

A team is in control when a player of the team is in control.

Therefore, if the ball is merely ay the disposal of the freethrower and not held or dribbled by him/her.........no team control.
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 05:29pm
PYRef

You beat me to it BBR
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Soooooooo....is there team control if you put the ball at the disposal of the free-throw shooter but he hasn't picked it up yet?

If a teammate of the FT shooter commits a foul before the FT shooter picks up the ball that is at his disposal, is it a team control foul and the FT is cancelled?

If a teammate of the the FT shooter commits a foul after the FT shooter picks up the ball, is it a team control foul and the FT is cancelled?

Inquiring minds need to know!
1) No

2) Common foul because the ball is live. Blow whistle, report foul, shoot free throws with no one in the spaces, give ball to other team for throw-in at closest spot to the foul. (If last free throw is made then they can move along the end line). (If the other team is in the bonus then shoot those free throws with players on the line)

3)Team Control Foul, FT is cancelled. If ball is in the air when foul is committed then it counts if it is made.

Am I right? Am I, Am I
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYRef
A team is in control when a player of the team is in control.
Except a team is still in control, even though a player isn't, during passing activity, an interrupted dribble, or a loose ball.
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 05:37pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
Except a team is still in control, even though a player isn't, during passing activity, an interrupted dribble, or a loose ball.
You can't establish team control until you establish player control though, can you?
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You can't establish team control until you establish player control though, can you?
Not as far as I know. I was simply pointing out that you don't have to have player control to have team control. My post was really not germane to this thread at all.
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 05:40pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Heart
1) No

2) Common foul because the ball is live. Blow whistle, report foul, shoot free throws with no one in the spaces, give ball to other team for throw-in at closest spot to the foul. (If last free throw is made then they can move along the end line). (If the other team is in the bonus then shoot those free throws with players on the line)

3)Team Control Foul, FT is cancelled. If ball is in the air when foul is committed then it counts if it is made.

Am I right? Am I, Am I
Well, #3 isn't.

I ain't saying on the others.
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 05:41pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
Not as far as I know. I was simply pointing out that you don't have to have player control to have team control. My post was really not germane to this thread at all.
Thanks for the help.
Old Sat Dec 02, 2006, 02:27am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:

This question was left open in the thread about rolling the ball. Is it stated anywhere that team control starts only with player control? Team A inbounds the ball, and immediately, without any player catching the ball, advances up the court with a series of touch passes. By definition passing includes players batting or rolling the ball to each other. Also by definition, as stated here earlier, team control includes passing activity. So why would a foul in this situation not be a team control foul?

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Dec 02, 2006, 03:01am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref
Is it stated anywhere that team control starts only with player control? Team A inbounds the ball, and immediately, without any player catching the ball, advances up the court with a series of touch passes. By definition passing includes players batting or rolling the ball to each other. Also by definition, as stated here earlier, team control includes passing activity. So why would a foul in this situation not be a team control foul?
case book play 4-12-6 referencing throw-ins says "The throw-in ends when A2 touches the ball, but the backcourt count does not start until A3 gains control. That means that neither player or team control has been established because either is needed to have a backcourt violation as per 9-8.
Old Sat Dec 02, 2006, 12:58pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
case book play 4-12-6 referencing throw-ins says "The throw-in ends when A2 touches the ball, but the backcourt count does not start until A3 gains control. That means that neither player or team control has been established because either is needed to have a backcourt violation as per 9-8.
But this doesn't answer the original question. In this particular situation, the point is that the count doesn't start until team control is gained. The point is not how team control is gained. This is a situation that one might never see, but the series of batted passes would seem to constitute team control, whether an individual player ever caught the ball first or not.

Lonesome Dove