Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 09, 2006, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Appedendix V (page 187 of the NCAA rulebook)

MAJOR RULES DIFFERENCES

Item: Airborne shooter

NFHS: In air after release of try or tap

NCAA: Men--No Rule
Women---Same as NFHS

Says it all for me.

Peace

So you're saying this does not apply to ncaa-m? It's a women's only interp? On the men's side this player is no longer in the act of shooting & doesn't get his FT?

A.R. 67. A1 is in the air on a jump shot in the lane. A1 releases the ball on a try and is fouled by B1, who has jumped in an unsuccessful attempt to block the shot. A1’s try is: (a) successful; or (b) unsuccessful. RULING: A1 shall be an airborne shooter when the ball is released until he or she returns with one foot touching the floor. An airborne shooter shall be in the act of shooting. B1 has fouled A1 in the act of shooting. A1 shall be awarded one free throw in (a), and two in (b).
Old Thu Nov 09, 2006, 10:08am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
A.R. 67. A1 is in the air on a jump shot in the lane. A1 releases the ball on a try and is fouled by B1, who has jumped in an unsuccessful attempt to block the shot. A1’s try is: (a) successful; or (b) unsuccessful. RULING: A1 shall be an airborne shooter when the ball is released until he or she returns with one foot touching the floor. An airborne shooter shall be in the act of shooting. B1 has fouled A1 in the act of shooting. A1 shall be awarded one free throw in (a), and two in (b).
Also, from the NCAA rulebook: Rule 4, Section 1, Airborne shooter:

Quote:
Art. 1. An airborne shooter is in the act of shooting.

Art 2. An airborne shooter is a player who has released the ball on a try for goal until one foot has returned to the floor.
The part that is "women only" is that for women, the definition of a player control foul includes a foul by an airborne shooter; while for the men, the definition of player control foul does NOT include a foul by an airborne shooter. Rule 4, Section 26 Foul

Quote:
Art 8. Player control foul. A player-control foul is a common foul committed:
  1. (Men) By a player when he is in control of the ball.
  2. (Women) By a player when she is in control of the ball or by an airborne shooter.
So there is an airborne shooter rule and definition. It is part of the player control foul rule for women, not for men. The little chart says "no rule" for brevity, but shouldn't be taken literally.
Old Thu Nov 09, 2006, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
So there is an airborne shooter rule and definition. It is part of the player control foul rule for women, not for men. The little chart says "no rule" for brevity, but shouldn't be taken literally.
Exactly.
Old Thu Nov 09, 2006, 10:36am
Do not give a damn!!

The reason I say and will continue to say there is no airborne shooter rule in NCAA Men's basketball is because all the parts of the rule do not apply. The airborne shooter rule is about all aspects of the rule, not just one part. Now we are talking about total semantics and it does not matter what you I say the rule is or what the rule is not or what you say the rule is or what the rule is not. I say this because I would not want people to think who mostly work NF ball that the rule applies the same way.

Peace
Old Thu Nov 09, 2006, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The reason I say and will continue to say there is no airborne shooter rule in NCAA Men's basketball is because all the parts of the rule do not apply. The airborne shooter rule is about all aspects of the rule, not just one part. Now we are talking about total semantics and it does not matter what you I say the rule is or what the rule is not or what you say the rule is or what the rule is not. I say this because I would not want people to think who mostly work NF ball that the rule applies the same way.

Peace
Yeah well that's why i'm being such a pain on this issue. I understand what you're saying, but...

The airborne player rule applies exactly the same way under nfhs, ncaa-m and ncaa-w.

What is different is the PC foul rule.
Old Thu Nov 09, 2006, 12:35pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
The reason I say and will continue to say there is no airborne shooter rule in NCAA Men's basketball
I don't know how you can say that when I just posted the Airborne Shooter rule. There is an airborne shooter rule. It's undeniable. It's right there in 1000000 pixels. It's like you're denying that the sky is blue because it's nighttime in India.
Old Thu Nov 09, 2006, 03:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Yeah well that's why i'm being such a pain on this issue. I understand what you're saying, but...

The airborne player rule applies exactly the same way under nfhs, ncaa-m and ncaa-w.

What is different is the PC foul rule.
If the shooter releases the ball and then crashes into a defender that (airborne shooter in NF and NCAA Women's code) has established LGP, then you cannot have a PC foul. The basket would count if it goes. And the defender would shoot FTs if the team was in the bonus.

The only part that is the same is if the shooter is fouled before they hit the ground you could have a shooting foul on the defense.

That sounds different to me.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Thu Nov 09, 2006 at 03:18pm.
Old Thu Nov 09, 2006, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If the shooter releases the ball and then crashes into a defender that (airborne shooter in NF and NCAA Women's code) has established LGP, then you cannot have a PC foul. The basket would count if it goes. And the defender would shoot FTs if the team was in the bonus.

The only part that is the same is if the shooter is fouled before they hit the ground you could have a shooting foul on the defense.

That sounds different to me.

Peace
Sure it's different. That's what I keep saying. It's different exactly because the foul is penalized differently.

What is the same is under fed, ncaa-m and ncaa-w is that an airborne shooter committed the foul under each set of rules. See? Airborne shooter applies to all 3 rule sets. ncaa-m handles the foul on the airborne shooter differently.

(I dont know how many more times I can say the same thing, so I'll bail out here.)
Old Thu Nov 09, 2006, 04:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

Dan,

Whatever helps you understand the rule is fine with me. I just do not agree with that there is a rule when two parts of the rule do not apply.

(I also do not know how many times I can say the same thing)

Peace
Old Sun Jan 14, 2007, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

I've never understood why the NCAA says they don't have an airborne shooter rule--as JRut says correctly, but then listed a rule for airborne shooters under 4.1.

After reading this thread I understand it for the first time-and how to apply it when a shooter, in the air charges into a defender under NCAA rules, Thanks.