The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 22, 2005, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

I hate to ask this question because I ought to know the answer but here goes: A1 goes up for a jump shot. As A1 returns to the floor (is clearly back on the ground) B1 fouls A1. Since A1 is back on the floor before contact is made I do not think A1 is an airborne shooter. However, the try is still in the air so is A1 considered to be in a continuous motion action? If the shot goes in it seems unfair to me that Team A gets two points and the ball (or a bonus if the team is in the bonus). What is the actual ruling in this case and how do you normally handle this in games?

By the way, I had my first association meeting of the season last weekend so I am starting to get excited for the upcoming high school season. I just got my new rule book and case book in the mail so it's right around the corner.

Old Thu Sep 22, 2005, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref

A1 is not fouled in the act of shooting.

However the ball is live until it goes in or misses. If it goes in count it, A gets the ball at the spot, unless the bonus applies. If it misses A1 gets the ball at the spot, unless the bonus applies.

In any event make sure A1 is absolutely hammered before making this call.
Old Thu Sep 22, 2005, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by johnnyrao
If the shot goes in it seems unfair to me that Team A gets two points and the ball (or a bonus if the team is in the bonus).
Why is it unfair? If the same thing happened but A2 was fouled while positioning for a possible rebound but the ball went in, would it still be unfair? There's no difference in the two plays.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Sep 24, 2005, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by johnnyrao
However, the try is still in the air so is A1 considered to be in a continuous motion action?
Nope. Another good example of why it's important to know those definitions in Rule 4.

Rule 4 Definitions

SECTION 11 CONTINUOUS MOTION
ART. 1 . . . Continuous motion applies to a try or tap for field goals and free throws, but it has no significance unless there is a foul by any defensive player during the interval which begins when the habitual throwing movement starts a try or with the touching on a tap and ends when the ball is clearly in flight.

SECTION 40 SHOOTING, TRY, TAP
ART. 1 . . . The act of shooting begins simultaneously with the start of the try or tap and ends when the ball is clearly in flight, and includes the airborne shooter.

SECTION 1 AIRBORNE SHOOTER
ART. 1 . . . An airborne shooter is a player who has released the ball on a try for a goal or has tapped the ball and has not returned to the floor.
ART. 2 . . . The airborne shooter is considered to be in the act of shooting.