The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

View Poll Results: Are you required to retake the NFHS test yearly?
Yes, by state rule 24 48.98%
Yes, by association rule 2 4.08%
Yes, by both 11 22.45%
No 12 24.49%
Not required, but strongly suggested 0 0%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 06:30am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 329
Send a message via Yahoo to drinkeii
States/Associations requiring retest

I have noticed over the years people referring to the current year's version of the NFHS tests. In PA, in my area (Erie), none of the chapters I know of require anyone to retest regularly. We pass the test the first time, and as long as you stay an active official according to PIAA rules (Attend a yearly rules meeting and 6 chapter meetings, pay dues), you never have to retest.

How many places require people to retake the test, by state rule or by association rule? I think it would be very beneficial, as the number of officials I worked with in other sports this year that messed up simple rules this year stood out in comparison to my last 7 years of officiating. I do Soccer, Swimming, and Basketball.

Also, I'm not looking for "Do you use questions from tests during meetings?" - everyone does this, as far as I know, during teh rules review/interpretation portion of meetings. I am asking more about actual testing.

Comments?
__________________
David A. Rinke II

Last edited by drinkeii; Tue Nov 07, 2006 at 06:33am.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: In the offseason.
Posts: 11,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkeii
I have noticed over the years people referring to the current year's version of the NFHS tests. In PA, in my area (Erie), none of the chapters I know of require anyone to retest regularly. We pass the test the first time, and as long as you stay an active official according to PIAA rules (Attend a yearly rules meeting and 6 chapter meetings, pay dues), you never have to retest.

How many places require people to retake the test, by state rule or by association rule? I think it would be very beneficial, as the number of officials I worked with in other sports this year that messed up simple rules this year stood out in comparison to my last 7 years of officiating. I do Soccer, Swimming, and Basketball.

Also, I'm not looking for "Do you use questions from tests during meetings?" - everyone does this, as far as I know, during teh rules review/interpretation portion of meetings. I am asking more about actual testing.

Comments?
Oregon requires every official working JV or higher to pass the test every year. If you don't pass, you don't work those games. Of course, most associations work with officials that are struggling to get them to a passing level.
__________________
Owner/Developer of RefTown.com
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 03:50pm
Jerry Blum
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
No we don't have to retake the part one test yearly. However, in order to be eligible to officiate in the tournaments we must take the Part II exam every year.

This is in Indiana.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 04:10pm
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 28,276
I guess I do not completely understand what you mean by "retake" the test yearly. In my state we have to take the Part 1 for the current year. We take it once and if you pass it or not will be based on if you keep your license or go on probation (or suspension). We do not retake that test in the same year. The only test we will never have to take again if we get to the top promotion level is the Part 2 Exam.

Peace
__________________
"When the phone does not ring, the assignor is calling."
--Black

Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 329
Send a message via Yahoo to drinkeii
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I guess I do not completely understand what you mean by "retake" the test yearly. In my state we have to take the Part 1 for the current year. We take it once and if you pass it or not will be based on if you keep your license or go on probation (or suspension). We do not retake that test in the same year. The only test we will never have to take again if we get to the top promotion level is the Part 2 Exam.

Peace
Considering our state only requires us to take it once, pass, and then we don't have to ever take it again, take another exam again, regardless of what year it is in our officiating career. So the last basketball test I took was 6 years ago. The last swimming and soccer tests were 8 years ago. We have no requirement to take any test on a yearly basis. Attend a rules meeting (no testing involved) and 6 chapter meetings, pay state and association dues, and that's it.
__________________
David A. Rinke II
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 05:26pm
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 28,276
Either way it goes, when you say "retake" it is suggestive that you have to take the same exact test over and over again. We have to take a test every year, but it is not the same test from the previous year. What you should have asked (I hate to tell you what you should have done), “Do you take a rules test every year?” That would have made more since in reality.

I have made it very public that I am not for taking tests to prove to anyone you know the rules. I would think that at least taking the test gets you into a discussion with other officials to go over the rules and debate what they are asking. I just think you can do this outside of having to take a test as well, which is very common where I live.

Peace
__________________
"When the phone does not ring, the assignor is calling."
--Black

Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 329
Send a message via Yahoo to drinkeii
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Either way it goes, when you say "retake" it is suggestive that you have to take the same exact test over and over again. We have to take a test every year, but it is not the same test from the previous year. What you should have asked (I hate to tell you what you should have done), “Do you take a rules test every year?” That would have made more since in reality.

I have made it very public that I am not for taking tests to prove to anyone you know the rules. I would think that at least taking the test gets you into a discussion with other officials to go over the rules and debate what they are asking. I just think you can do this outside of having to take a test as well, which is very common where I live.

Peace
Sorry - it is just to me that since we only take it once and are "certified" for the rest of our lives, as long as we meet the other requirements, taking any test again for the same sport to me is being retested.

I do agree with the other points.
__________________
David A. Rinke II
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 05:59pm
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 28,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkeii
Sorry - it is just to me that since we only take it once and are "certified" for the rest of our lives, as long as we meet the other requirements, taking any test again for the same sport to me is being retested.
I guess you have to the right to call it what you like. But when you "retake" something you are doing it over again. In my state we take a different test every single year.

Oh well.

Peace
__________________
"When the phone does not ring, the assignor is calling."
--Black

Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 329
Send a message via Yahoo to drinkeii
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I guess you have to the right to call it what you like. But when you "retake" something you are doing it over again. In my state we take a different test every single year.

Oh well.

Peace
As I recall, from year to year, a large number of the NFHS questions are recycled. So it isn't a completely different test.

Oh well...
__________________
David A. Rinke II
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,847
It's like watching a game of Pong.

Mr. Rinke sure seems to need to get the last word in....
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 07:52am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 1,342
Part 2 yearly
__________________
truerookie
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 08:36am
M.A.S.H.
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkeii
As I recall, from year to year, a large number of the NFHS questions are recycled. So it isn't a completely different test.

Oh well...
There are a few that are recycled. I believe the NFHS sees the testing results. Therefore, the NFHS recycles based on the number that were commonly missed. Also, I noticed a few questions appear on this years Part I from the previous years Part II. Then again, you can only write so many questions year in and year out.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 08:52am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 1,453
Regarding re-test, VA used to play A & AA girls BB in the fall (AAA was in the winter). You took Part I in August to be qualified for fall ball, and did not have to take it again for the remainder of the year. If you took Part I and failed, you could not do fall ball and had to wait to take Part II in early November. If you took Part I and passed, but did not like your score, you could take Part II and "hope" for a higher score. However, if you took Part II and got a lower score, you were stuck with that score.
__________________
Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 08:53am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 515
Georgia requires you to get an 85 or higher in order to officiate Varsity. This is a new requirement this year and it will be interesting to see how many varsity officials don't get an 85 and if GHSA inforces it.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 08:56am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 1,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Heart
Georgia requires you to get an 85 or higher in order to officiate Varsity. This is a new requirement this year and it will be interesting to see how many varsity officials don't get an 85 and if GHSA inforces it.
My association requires 70 to pass, 85 to do varsity, and 90 to do playoffs. Truth be known, we have, on occassions, had officials do these levels without the necessary score.
__________________
Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How many associations ChrisSportsFan Basketball 11 Thu Nov 09, 2006 09:09am
An Unusual Situation -- Requiring rule 2.3 rainmaker Basketball 9 Wed Nov 08, 2006 09:36am
Associations brandan89 Basketball 6 Fri Jul 02, 2004 04:39pm
associations official88 Baseball 0 Wed Apr 14, 2004 05:44pm
associations official88 General / Off-Topic 0 Sun Apr 04, 2004 02:53pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:23pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1