The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

View Poll Results: Are you required to retake the NFHS test yearly?
Yes, by state rule 24 48.98%
Yes, by association rule 2 4.08%
Yes, by both 11 22.45%
No 12 24.49%
Not required, but strongly suggested 0 0%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 06:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to drinkeii
States/Associations requiring retest

I have noticed over the years people referring to the current year's version of the NFHS tests. In PA, in my area (Erie), none of the chapters I know of require anyone to retest regularly. We pass the test the first time, and as long as you stay an active official according to PIAA rules (Attend a yearly rules meeting and 6 chapter meetings, pay dues), you never have to retest.

How many places require people to retake the test, by state rule or by association rule? I think it would be very beneficial, as the number of officials I worked with in other sports this year that messed up simple rules this year stood out in comparison to my last 7 years of officiating. I do Soccer, Swimming, and Basketball.

Also, I'm not looking for "Do you use questions from tests during meetings?" - everyone does this, as far as I know, during teh rules review/interpretation portion of meetings. I am asking more about actual testing.

Comments?

Last edited by drinkeii; Tue Nov 07, 2006 at 06:33am.
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkeii
I have noticed over the years people referring to the current year's version of the NFHS tests. In PA, in my area (Erie), none of the chapters I know of require anyone to retest regularly. We pass the test the first time, and as long as you stay an active official according to PIAA rules (Attend a yearly rules meeting and 6 chapter meetings, pay dues), you never have to retest.

How many places require people to retake the test, by state rule or by association rule? I think it would be very beneficial, as the number of officials I worked with in other sports this year that messed up simple rules this year stood out in comparison to my last 7 years of officiating. I do Soccer, Swimming, and Basketball.

Also, I'm not looking for "Do you use questions from tests during meetings?" - everyone does this, as far as I know, during teh rules review/interpretation portion of meetings. I am asking more about actual testing.

Comments?
Oregon requires every official working JV or higher to pass the test every year. If you don't pass, you don't work those games. Of course, most associations work with officials that are struggling to get them to a passing level.
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 03:50pm
Jerry Blum

No we don't have to retake the part one test yearly. However, in order to be eligible to officiate in the tournaments we must take the Part II exam every year.

This is in Indiana.
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 04:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

I guess I do not completely understand what you mean by "retake" the test yearly. In my state we have to take the Part 1 for the current year. We take it once and if you pass it or not will be based on if you keep your license or go on probation (or suspension). We do not retake that test in the same year. The only test we will never have to take again if we get to the top promotion level is the Part 2 Exam.

Peace
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I guess I do not completely understand what you mean by "retake" the test yearly. In my state we have to take the Part 1 for the current year. We take it once and if you pass it or not will be based on if you keep your license or go on probation (or suspension). We do not retake that test in the same year. The only test we will never have to take again if we get to the top promotion level is the Part 2 Exam.

Peace
Considering our state only requires us to take it once, pass, and then we don't have to ever take it again, take another exam again, regardless of what year it is in our officiating career. So the last basketball test I took was 6 years ago. The last swimming and soccer tests were 8 years ago. We have no requirement to take any test on a yearly basis. Attend a rules meeting (no testing involved) and 6 chapter meetings, pay state and association dues, and that's it.
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 05:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

Either way it goes, when you say "retake" it is suggestive that you have to take the same exact test over and over again. We have to take a test every year, but it is not the same test from the previous year. What you should have asked (I hate to tell you what you should have done), “Do you take a rules test every year?” That would have made more since in reality.

I have made it very public that I am not for taking tests to prove to anyone you know the rules. I would think that at least taking the test gets you into a discussion with other officials to go over the rules and debate what they are asking. I just think you can do this outside of having to take a test as well, which is very common where I live.

Peace
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Either way it goes, when you say "retake" it is suggestive that you have to take the same exact test over and over again. We have to take a test every year, but it is not the same test from the previous year. What you should have asked (I hate to tell you what you should have done), “Do you take a rules test every year?” That would have made more since in reality.

I have made it very public that I am not for taking tests to prove to anyone you know the rules. I would think that at least taking the test gets you into a discussion with other officials to go over the rules and debate what they are asking. I just think you can do this outside of having to take a test as well, which is very common where I live.

Peace
Sorry - it is just to me that since we only take it once and are "certified" for the rest of our lives, as long as we meet the other requirements, taking any test again for the same sport to me is being retested.

I do agree with the other points.
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 05:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Sorry - it is just to me that since we only take it once and are "certified" for the rest of our lives, as long as we meet the other requirements, taking any test again for the same sport to me is being retested.
I guess you have to the right to call it what you like. But when you "retake" something you are doing it over again. In my state we take a different test every single year.

Oh well.

Peace
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I guess you have to the right to call it what you like. But when you "retake" something you are doing it over again. In my state we take a different test every single year.

Oh well.

Peace
As I recall, from year to year, a large number of the NFHS questions are recycled. So it isn't a completely different test.

Oh well...
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

It's like watching a game of Pong.

Mr. Rinke sure seems to need to get the last word in....
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 07:52am
Official Forum Member

Part 2 yearly
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 08:36am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
As I recall, from year to year, a large number of the NFHS questions are recycled. So it isn't a completely different test.

Oh well...
There are a few that are recycled. I believe the NFHS sees the testing results. Therefore, the NFHS recycles based on the number that were commonly missed. Also, I noticed a few questions appear on this years Part I from the previous years Part II. Then again, you can only write so many questions year in and year out.
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Regarding re-test, VA used to play A & AA girls BB in the fall (AAA was in the winter). You took Part I in August to be qualified for fall ball, and did not have to take it again for the remainder of the year. If you took Part I and failed, you could not do fall ball and had to wait to take Part II in early November. If you took Part I and passed, but did not like your score, you could take Part II and "hope" for a higher score. However, if you took Part II and got a lower score, you were stuck with that score.
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Georgia requires you to get an 85 or higher in order to officiate Varsity. This is a new requirement this year and it will be interesting to see how many varsity officials don't get an 85 and if GHSA inforces it.
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Heart
Georgia requires you to get an 85 or higher in order to officiate Varsity. This is a new requirement this year and it will be interesting to see how many varsity officials don't get an 85 and if GHSA inforces it.
My association requires 70 to pass, 85 to do varsity, and 90 to do playoffs. Truth be known, we have, on occassions, had officials do these levels without the necessary score.