View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkeii
I have noticed over the years people referring to the current year's version of the NFHS tests. In PA, in my area (Erie), none of the chapters I know of require anyone to retest regularly. We pass the test the first time, and as long as you stay an active official according to PIAA rules (Attend a yearly rules meeting and 6 chapter meetings, pay dues), you never have to retest.

How many places require people to retake the test, by state rule or by association rule? I think it would be very beneficial, as the number of officials I worked with in other sports this year that messed up simple rules this year stood out in comparison to my last 7 years of officiating. I do Soccer, Swimming, and Basketball.

Also, I'm not looking for "Do you use questions from tests during meetings?" - everyone does this, as far as I know, during teh rules review/interpretation portion of meetings. I am asking more about actual testing.

Comments?
Oregon requires every official working JV or higher to pass the test every year. If you don't pass, you don't work those games. Of course, most associations work with officials that are struggling to get them to a passing level.