Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 26, 2006, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
I dont remember if this question has been answered and I assume its the same as with a jump ball -- on a double foul (any of them) where we go to the POI and the offense retains possession do we reset the shot clock?
If there is team control at the time of the double foul, no reset. NCAA 2-14-7f.
Old Thu Oct 26, 2006, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
I think the women's side has this right. Ideally at any level, an official should have his or her fist in the air on all fouls before coming with a mechanic. I know we all slip and get excited to sell a call from time to time, but if officials slow down the way they do things, the blarge should not happen in my opinion.
The women's side still has a hole in the approch....uncommon, but still a hole. What if the play occurs right on the boundary between the two primaries (both the defender and the dribbler have one foot in each primary) and the palyers are moving along that line...moving along it as if it is a balance beam. How is the decision made? It is not in any one officials primary. It it not going towards one official more than the other. One official must still chose to defer to the other in this case.

I agree that slowing down would mostly prevent blarges but it would not eliminate them. On more than one occassion, I've had a double whistle such that neither of us knew the other had even blown the whistle....the timing and duration of the whistle were identical and the acoustics of the gym conspired such that it wasn't discernable. We both raised our fists but never realized the other had....then made our calls....once or twice being opposite. It is rare, but I think it's happened to me twice in 13 years.
Old Fri Oct 27, 2006, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Well said Cameron. I've had a couple of close calls, but luckily mechanics were drilled into my head enough that when I was going to call the opposite of my partner I only had my fist in the air so we just went with their call. We did, however, discuss the play in the locker room afterwards.
Old Fri Oct 27, 2006, 01:21pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
The women's side still has a hole in the approch....uncommon, but still a hole. What if the play occurs right on the boundary between the two primaries (both the defender and the dribbler have one foot in each primary) and the palyers are moving along that line...moving along it as if it is a balance beam. How is the decision made? It is not in any one officials primary. It it not going towards one official more than the other. One official must still chose to defer to the other in this case.
I sincerely hope that you are being facetious here...but just in case you aren't - the rule of thumb is the ball is in "my" primary until I release it...so this balancing act you're talking about had to start somewhere - we'll say the backcourt where the T has the play - and then progress into the perfect balancing act along the imaginary line separating our primary areas - so the T would still have primary call on it...the NCAA-W method really is the best way to handle this situation. I detest the fact that you can have two polar opposite calls on the same play and have to report both.
Old Fri Oct 27, 2006, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
I sincerely hope that you are being facetious here...but just in case you aren't - the rule of thumb is the ball is in "my" primary until I release it...so this balancing act you're talking about had to start somewhere - we'll say the backcourt where the T has the play - and then progress into the perfect balancing act along the imaginary line separating our primary areas - so the T would still have primary call on it...the NCAA-W method really is the best way to handle this situation. I detest the fact that you can have two polar opposite calls on the same play and have to report both.
No, I was not being facetious at all. The rule of thumb you just stated still puts the ultimate call, not up to a subjective determination, but on the egos of the officials involved....some (not all, but some, maybe only a few) will "expand" their primaries just to keep the call even when they may be completely wrong.
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to QuinnVT Send a message via Yahoo to QuinnVT
That why you have a patient whistle

Let the primary make the call, and if s/he doesn't then blow your whistle. Avoid the blarge in the first place.
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 01:33pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuinnVT
Let the primary make the call, and if s/he doesn't then blow your whistle. Avoid the blarge in the first place.
That's nice.

However, in the immortal words of Sister Theresa "Sh!t Happens!"

Even to the NCAA big dawgs.
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuinnVT
We all know there are transition areas/times when the play is moving from one official's primary to the another. That is the point of risk...not the fishing expeditions deep into your partner's primary. Unless you like to leave the play uncovered for a second or two as the play moves around, there will amost always be double primaries for a brief moment when the new official picks it up before the old one drops it.
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 05:46pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
We all know there are transition areas/times when the play is moving from one official's primary to the another. That is the point of risk...not the fishing expeditions deep into your partner's primary. Unless you like to leave the play uncovered for a second or two as the play moves around, there will amost always be double primaries for a brief moment when the new official picks it up before the old one drops it.
Translation- "Sh!t Happens!"