Thread: Dreaded BLARGE!
View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 26, 2006, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
I think the women's side has this right. Ideally at any level, an official should have his or her fist in the air on all fouls before coming with a mechanic. I know we all slip and get excited to sell a call from time to time, but if officials slow down the way they do things, the blarge should not happen in my opinion.
The women's side still has a hole in the approch....uncommon, but still a hole. What if the play occurs right on the boundary between the two primaries (both the defender and the dribbler have one foot in each primary) and the palyers are moving along that line...moving along it as if it is a balance beam. How is the decision made? It is not in any one officials primary. It it not going towards one official more than the other. One official must still chose to defer to the other in this case.

I agree that slowing down would mostly prevent blarges but it would not eliminate them. On more than one occassion, I've had a double whistle such that neither of us knew the other had even blown the whistle....the timing and duration of the whistle were identical and the acoustics of the gym conspired such that it wasn't discernable. We both raised our fists but never realized the other had....then made our calls....once or twice being opposite. It is rare, but I think it's happened to me twice in 13 years.