Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 10, 2006, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I am disagreeing with your position that it would be wrong to use the NCAA Mechanic when with all the information that has been given the NCAA Women's Mechanic and the NF mechanic are basically the same.

You might not be aware, but that is the NCAA Women's Mechanic. What does not seemed to be clear to me and to many others, is do we completely eliminate the other signals (block, push, illegal use of hands) and use only the TC signal when calling a TC foul. The book in my opinion talks more about the using of this signal to eliminate confusion with a PC foul.

Peace
I think the tail is wagging the dog here and an official will look crazy trying to do a ton of signaling when all is needed is the punch, whistle and voice. Then when you get to the table, signal what is was a push, block etc.
Old Tue Oct 10, 2006, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

deecee and IREFU2 - here's where I find myself becoming old fuddy-duddy. In my younger days I would've agreed whole-heartedly with you. What the hell difference does it make what signal you use, as long as everyone knows what the call is. Getting the call right is the most important thing, right? Well, as I've gone through the ranks, I've found that doing the proper mechanics says as much about you as knowing the rules. And, more often than not, people will judge you on your appearance, including mechanics. They may not get to judge you as often on rule knowledge, because there may be plenty of games where nothing unusual happens where you can show off your knowledge. But you do get to show off your mechanics every game. Do you come to a game with mud on your shoes? How about those wrinkles in your shirt? If you're careful about those aspects, why do you want to be sloppy in your mechanics? Why not "do it by the book"?

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Oct 10, 2006, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Trust me, mechanics is the one thing that I am strong in and I have never had a problem in that area. I was just stating what I do in regards to the TC Foul. I really appreciate your input though. I guess we should just wait until the Fed's come out with the proper procedures.
Old Tue Oct 10, 2006, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You might be right, but when I did Women's basketball, the mechanic was to raise the hand. Many people did not follow the mechanic (surprise, surprise) and would go to the punch signal. That has been about 5 years ago so I would not be surprised if that has changed.
I don't remember whether or not we were to raise the fist first. But in the last couple of years it has been just to punch the fist in the direction the ball is to go next.

Quote:
It is not much different in the Men's game where you are supposed to use the stop clock for out of bounds plays, but people do not use that signal and just point.
That's also a NCAA-W's mechanic, and has been for several years. I have heard a men's supervisor say they don't like that, and he wants his officials to "use the men's mechanic, not the women's mechanic". That may not be true for all. I have also heard from our good buddies Kurt and Beth that we are to specifically "stop the clock" (raise the hand) when we blow our whistle in HS, and to not just point.

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Oct 10, 2006, 03:45pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
1) Would you care to point out exactly where I took that position in this thread? Or where I took any position in this thread?
JR, stop being so defensive. If that is not what you meant by your comments, it is OK. I likely misunderstood you. This is why I made the statement in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
2) You might not be aware either, but the complete foul reporting procedure is on P36 & 37 of the current NFHS Officials Manual. #231(d) on p.37 states that you only use a single signal for PC fouls. It doesn't mention using a single signal for TC fouls also, and there's nothing on the FED website that says anything different either. The FED couldn't be any clearer on what they want done imo.
Well the signal came from the college ranks. According to the Men's CCA Book, you are supposed to give the type of foul you have and indicate that you have a TC foul. Only when you have a PC, intentional, excessive contact foul and double foul are you not supposed to give an indication of the specific type of foul.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 10, 2006, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
I don't remember whether or not we were to raise the fist first. But in the last couple of years it has been just to punch the fist in the direction the ball is to go next.

That's also a NCAA-W's mechanic, and has been for several years. I have heard a men's supervisor say they don't like that, and he wants his officials to "use the men's mechanic, not the women's mechanic". That may not be true for all. I have also heard from our good buddies Kurt and Beth that we are to specifically "stop the clock" (raise the hand) when we blow our whistle in HS, and to not just point.
We need to go to precision time so when the whistle blows, the clock stops automatically and then we can just punch or point!!!!!!!
Old Tue Oct 10, 2006, 03:54pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Well a lot of things changed without explanation when Referee Magazine started publishing the CCA Books. The same thing happens on the Men's side with out of bounds plays. All of a sudden they took out the comment "You do not need to use the stop clock signal on out of bounds calls." Then it was made clear that you had to use the stop clock signal. It makes me wonder if CCA consciously knew what was in their previous books.

Quote:
That is true depending on whom you work for and who you are as an official. Remember some officials can do a lot of things that a lowly official like myself cannot do.

I also heard the same thing from Harry B. when I attended his camp this summer. I still see how things will be confusing to those that either did not attend the right meeting in their association or attend the right camp.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 10, 2006, 03:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2
We need to go to precision time so when the whistle blows, the clock stops automatically and then we can just punch or point!!!!!!!
The precision timing system is not going to avoid a possible double whistle situation.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 10, 2006, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
The precision timing system is not going to avoid a possible double whistle situation.

Peace
Very true.
Old Tue Oct 10, 2006, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Peace
I don't understand what you mean by this? What has a double whistle got to do with this sitch?
Old Tue Oct 10, 2006, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajun Ref N Texas
I don't understand what you mean by this? What has a double whistle got to do with this sitch?
We call the hand/fist in the air the "stop clock" signal. But that's really a misnomer. No timer that I've ever worked with has ever looked for an official's raised arm. They stop the clock on the whistle.

But there's another reason we raise our hand on the whistle: double whistles. On a double whistle you need to know both that your partner has a whistle (and we've all had double whistles that were so completely simultaneous that we were surprised to see our partner's arm in the air) and then what call your partner has. And you need to know it before either of you signals anything. The hand/fist in the air is our safety net in this situation. You see your partner's arm go up, you confer before you signal.

If you're using precision time, and you've decided to dispense with the arm in the air because you don't need it to stop the clock, you've eliminated your safety net and increased the odds of having a blarge.

Sure, you are less likely to have a double whistle in a TC situation than say on a drive to the basket, but it's not impossible.
Old Tue Oct 10, 2006, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
We call the hand/fist in the air the "stop clock" signal. But that's really a misnomer. No timer that I've ever worked with has ever looked for an official's raised arm. They stop the clock on the whistle.

But there's another reason we raise our hand on the whistle: double whistles. On a double whistle you need to know both that your partner has a whistle (and we've all had double whistles that were so completely simultaneous that we were surprised to see our partner's arm in the air) and then what call your partner has. And you need to know it before either of you signals anything. The hand/fist in the air is our safety net in this situation. You see your partner's arm go up, you confer before you signal.

If you're using precision time, and you've decided to dispense with the arm in the air because you don't need it to stop the clock, you've eliminated your safety net and increased the odds of having a blarge.

Sure, you are less likely to have a double whistle in a TC situation than say on a drive to the basket, but it's not impossible.

Thank youl. I completely missed your point. I thought you were trying to say that the precision timing system didn't work well with double whistles...hello
Old Tue Oct 10, 2006, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2
I guess we should just wait until the Fed's come out with the proper procedures.
Maybe you haven't been reading all the posts in this thread, but JR has already pointed out that the FED has already come out with the approved mechanic procedure for the team control foul. It's posted on the FED website. The mechanic is:

1) Stop clock (fist over head).
2) TC signal (fist straight out in front of body).
3) Preliminary signal (block, push, etc.).
4) Designate spot for throw-in.

So you can stop waiting.
Old Wed Oct 11, 2006, 09:51am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Do you come to a game with mud on your shoes? How about those wrinkles in your shirt?
That's nothing you've have to worry about with IREFU2. I think he even irons his socks.