Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBall_Junkie
why do I have a sudden desire to eat popcorn?
Nah, he'll figure it out.
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
I feel a quiz coming on....maybe even a new one.
I actually searched and reviewed your quiz before posting this question. After taking, failing, reviewing, studying your quiz a few years back I thought I knew this rule pretty well. But this is a new angle to the issue I couldn't find in your quiz.
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Does it matter where A1 touches the ball after it went into the back court, as per R9-1?

If A1, who was completely in the front-court, dribbled on the center line, and the dribble then hit A1 who was still completely in the front court, is that legal also?
No, but in my situation the ball clearly gets frontcourt status before being touched. Although it appeared to meet the standards for backcourt according to the letter of the rule-that answer didn't feel right to me. I am not going to argue though. If you, Chuck, and BktBallRef all think it is a violation I will just sit back eat some popcorn and let someone else hash out a losing battle.
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 07:24pm
Official Forum Member

In reply to JR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by oc
No, but in my situation the ball clearly gets frontcourt status before being touched. Although it appeared to meet the standards for backcourt according to the letter of the rule-that answer didn't feel right to me. I am not going to argue though. If you, Chuck, and BktBallRef all think it is a violation I will just sit back eat some popcorn and let someone else hash out a losing battle.
Sure, fine, just forget about the guy who gave the original answer!
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
In reply to JR:

Sure, fine, just forget about the guy who gave the original answer!
humble apologies. I should add nevadaref, rainmaker,...

If I give you some of my popcorn will you forgive me?
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 03:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc
humble apologies. I should add nevadaref, rainmaker,...

If I give you some of my popcorn will you forgive me?
Good thing I like popcorn.
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 07:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc
I actually searched and reviewed your quiz before posting this question. After taking, failing, reviewing, studying your quiz a few years back I thought I knew this rule pretty well. But this is a new angle to the issue I couldn't find in your quiz.
9-9-1
A player shall not be the first to touch a ball after it has been in team control in the frontcourt, if he/she or a teammate last touched or was touched by the ball in the frontcourt before it went to the backcourt.

This passage tells us what we need to know. It makes no difference whether the ball is touched in the backcourt, only that A1 is the first to touch AFTER it's been in the backcourt.

Example:
I'm standing in the FC, holding the ball. I bounce pass to you, the ball hits the division line, you catch the ball while completely standing in the FC. Is this a BC violation? Look at the rule above. Darn tootin' it is.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

You guys are going to tell me that if you have a player standing in frontcourt picking up a ball that has frontcourt position you are going to call a backcourt violation????? You guys are insane and the coach will eat your lunch! If nothing and no one is in the backcourt, how can you possibly call backcourt?????
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kycat1
You guys are going to tell me that if you have a player standing in frontcourt picking up a ball that has frontcourt position you are going to call a backcourt violation????? You guys are insane and the coach will eat your lunch!
And then after he looks up the rule, she'll eat crow.

Quote:
If nothing and no one is in the backcourt, how can you possibly call backcourt?????
Because that's the rule. The rule isn't "being in the backcourt illegally" or "touching in the backcourt illegally."
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Backcourt is backcourt

Quote:
You guys are going to tell me that if you have a player standing in frontcourt picking up a ball that has frontcourt position you are going to call a backcourt violation????? You guys are insane and the coach will eat your lunch! If nothing and no one is in the backcourt, how can you possibly call backcourt?????
And if the player steps on the backcourt line with his foot after being in FC you won't call that backcourt either?

As long as its the rule, it doesn't matter what the coach thinks.

Thanks
David
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You guys are insane and the coach will eat your lunch!
Hey kycat1,

Most of the officials here know the rules and will call the appropriately. Most of them here also know how to handle a game and a coach. The coach might eat your lunch, but it wouldn't be allowed by a strong official. Maybe your are the insane one.
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
So you make your calls based on what the coach is going to say after you blow your whistle?

Partner, with all due respect, please learn the rules or get out of officiating. You make it more difficult for every official who tries to call the game correctly.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 08:49am
Courageous When Prudent

Maybe this will help...

Quote:
KY, this is from the 2006-07 NCAA Rulebook, take it for what it is worth. I already admitted I was wrong and needed to read, maybe you should do the same.

Rule 9.12-1
A.R. 190. A1 is in possession of the ball in the front court and throws a pass to A2 , who is located near the division line. A1’s pass is errant. A2 leaves the playing court with both feet in an attempt to prevent the ball from going into the back court. While in the air, A2 gains possession of the ball and throws it into the playing court, where it strikes the division line. The ball returns to the front court, where A3 recovers the ball before it is touched by an opponent. RULING: Team A has committed a back-court violation. The official shall blow the whistle for the back-court violation when the ball is touched by A3 in the front court after it touched the division line. Team A had control of the ball in its front court and the ball was last touched by Team A before going into the back court. Rule 9-12 says nothing about where the ball goes after it goes into the back court.

The bold sentence at the end is directly from the NCAA rulebook, I did not add that in.
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 09:40am
In Memoriam

Quote:
So....if a player dribbling in the front court retreats close to the center line, bounces the ball on the center line, and then touches the ball on the rebound while still standing completely in the front court....that also isn't a backcourt violation, kycat? That would be insane also if one of us called that?

Lah me......
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

This is one area where I think FIBA actually has a better rule. As I understand it from what has been posted here before, when the ball touches in the backcourt after last being touched in the frontcourt by an offensive player, it is a backcourt violation. There is no need for an offensive player to be the first to touch it.

It is treated almost the same as if the division line were a sideline. When you think of it like this, the call is obvious.