The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 02:07pm
(Something hilarious)

Rant on - Veteran Partner rule/mechanic misapplications

Rant on - My last two games - both boys' varsity, have been two-person; both involving me being paired with "veteran" officials who have 16 and 15 years (one included some supposed juco experience and NBA camps in his resume) experience, according to them. Just a few, minor (sarcasm on) rule and mechanic issues of complete and utter nonsense and incorrectness occurred that I feel compelled to share with someone.

Partner "Juco" issue #1 - Insisted that on a throw-in (this first occurred following a time-out request while the ball was in the paint following a throw-in after a made basket), if the ball is going the other way (long way down the court), that the throw-in location rules (and pretty easy to understand diagram) do not apply, since the team in the frontcourt is not throwing the ball in. (Ball should always be on the side, according to Juco.)

Partner "Juco" issue #2 - Was sure that the throw-in location following shooting two free throws for a single technical foul was determined by POI. (This is the first time I've had someone try to insert POI where it wasn't applicable, as opposed to the AP arrow.)

Partner "McUnfriendly and Patronizing" issue #1 - After asking me where I stand during 30-second time-outs and getting my NFHS Official's Manual answer, corrected me (yeah, this type of guy), by stating that the actual NFHS mechanic is to stand at the lane line extended farther from the table - not at the top of the three point arc, like the Official's Manual states and shows.

Partner "McUnfriendly and Patronizing" issue #2 - After asking me what I would do as Lead with a foul on a shooter with the try being successful, and me giving my step-by-step answer, from fist up and whistle to where I would end up as Trail for the free throw, educated me to the fact that it's not a high school mechanic to signal "count the basket/goal is successful." According to McUnfriendly and Patronizing, "Yeah, a lot of guys are suprised when I tell them that, cuz they pick that up from watching the college and pro game, but it's not a Fed mechanic." He was essentially saying that even if, as Lead, one sees the ball enter the basket, one should not signal so, but should wait for partner to come in and inform you of this. (This is about where I start slightly furrowing my brow, tilting my head, nodding, and saying the occassional, "Hmm," in response to his blather.)

Partner "McUnfriendly and Patronizing" issue #3 - At the conclusion of his "pre-game," asked me if "I see anything out there or have anything else?" - A20 (white jerseys, red stripe down the sides) was wearing red sweatbands on both wrists, and so I pointed this out, thinking this is what he was looking for me to do. He asks why that's an issue? I respond with the rule, verbatim. His response, after a long pause: "Well, it's the predominant color of that stripe there, so I'm not going to make him take them off."

Partner "McUnfriendly and Patronizing" issue #4 - Refused to show/mirror a successful 3-point goal from my area when I was Lead and he was Trail. I say "refused," not because I asked him about this at half time, as, by that point, I was in extreme "in-done-out" mode, nor because I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt on somehow never having seen my signals, but because I know he saw me during most of these, as he was staring right at me (with my arm(s) in the air) through the lane as the ball was taken out of bounds, and players were heading the other way, and did nothing. (Luckily, those at the table were quick enough to lean forward and find me and my signal on the baseline, so no issues resulted.)

#5 - Refused to bump-and-run - said it was "easier" not to do so.

#6 - Long-switched every time possible.

#7 - Stated that it is the Umpire's responsibility to administer the AP throw-in to start the 2nd and 4th quarters, according to high school mechanics, as the Referee is busy approving the score, etc., between those quarters.

I am now ready for my fun game with a good partner tonight, please.

Thank you for reading and being part of my theraputical process. Have a nice day.
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to swkansasref33
haha wow... i hope i never have to officiate with anyone like that
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Always love a night with the "know-it-all" officials. Every association has a few of them, and all we can do is get through the night and look forward to your next crew.
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds to me like that guy needs to go back to the Y and do their leagues!
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Yep, we've all been there. "Get in, get done, get out!"
Old Sat Jan 13, 2007, 10:03am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP
Partner "Juco" issue #2 - Was sure that the throw-in location following shooting two free throws for a single technical foul was determined by POI. (This is the first time I've had someone try to insert POI where it wasn't applicable, as opposed to the AP arrow.)
Old Sat Jan 13, 2007, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by swkansasref33
haha wow... i hope i never have to officiate with anyone like that
Watch out what you wish for. If you haven't already had a partner like this, you'll get one sooner or later, unless you either die or break both legs. The think to work hard on is never becoming this person. That's something you can control.
Old Sat Jan 13, 2007, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
The thing to work hard on is never becoming this person. That's something you can control.
Good call rainmaker. Let us not forget from whence we came.
Old Sat Jan 13, 2007, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Early in my career these types intimidated me. Now that I am strong enough to handle myself I would tell him he's wrong and do proper mechanics and make it obvious who the a$$ was in case we were being observed.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Sat Jan 13, 2007, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman
Good call rainmaker. Let us not forget from whence we came.
You dork...