The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 31, 2006, 11:49am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRef
Arm Bars are illegal NCAA-M??? Does you TV get Big Ten or Big East games on ESPN, they let much worse than Arm Bars go!
You must not watch a lot of Big Ten basketball. Not only do I live in a region where Big Ten Basketball is king, I attend the Big Ten Tournament every year for the last 6 years or so. I saw many times there was a call when a defender puts their arm on the post player. This also was a POE last season as well.

I cannot speak for the Big East. I do not see a lot of those games.

Peace
Old Thu Aug 31, 2006, 11:57am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64
Nevada, I don't see how this is not considered "a level playing field" for both sides. I agree that I like to see hard defense and that is why HS and college still have the 5-second closely guarded count, but there is no way that you can tell me that the handcheck guidelines in the NBA are not the purest form of basketball and how the game was supposed to be played.
I cannot speak for what is pure as it relates to how the game was. “No defense” seemed to be part of playing the pure game if you ask me.

The NBA calls more hand checks than any other level. They do not allow the defender to put their hands on the ball handler on the perimeter pretty much at all. This is one thing that is pretty much "automatic" in their trainings. They allow more contact in the post and allow the defender to put an arm bar up in some cases.

Peace
Old Thu Aug 31, 2006, 01:39pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64
Nevada, I don't see how this is not considered "a level playing field" for both sides. I agree that I like to see hard defense and that is why HS and college still have the 5-second closely guarded count, but there is no way that you can tell me that the handcheck guidelines in the NBA are not the purest form of basketball and how the game was supposed to be played. If you can't play hard defense without chucking a cutter to keep him from getting to his desired spot, or without putting a hand on a player's hip while he is driving to the hole and rerouting him in the process then the defensive foul should be called. Why is the offensive player being penalized for being quicker than the defender. Yes you have created a level playing field I guess. The offensive player had an advantage on his defender(faster than his defender) and you leveled the playing field by letting him slow him down by putting a hand on him. By calling these plays early you have set a precedent and almost all of the games I have had where we take care of this, there was less whining, more points, and a much smoother game. This is what I was taught, it might not be what you were taught or what you like and I understand, and that is why it is so hard to officiate because night in and night out your crew has to be on the same page and that requires nights for me to either adjust with my crew or on some nights to get the crew to adjust to me.

Officiating!!! Don't you love it!
Um, the actions outlined in red have been regarded as fouls under NCAA and NFHS rules for many, many years. They also have been established under guidelines as must-call fouls and have been the subject of recent POE's in both rule sets. The NBA has only recently adopted the stricter NCAA and NFHS philosophies on hand-checking, not the other way around as it appears you are trying to claim.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 01:42pm.
Old Thu Aug 31, 2006, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
You must not watch a lot of Big Ten basketball. Not only do I live in a region where Big Ten Basketball is king, I attend the Big Ten Tournament every year for the last 6 years or so. I saw many times there was a call when a defender puts their arm on the post player. This also was a POE last season as well.

I cannot speak for the Big East. I do not see a lot of those games.

Peace
JRut,

I also live right in the middle of Big Ten Country and it is really hard to follow game to game what is allowed (contact) and what is a foul.
Old Thu Aug 31, 2006, 03:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
JRut,

I also live right in the middle of Big Ten Country and it is really hard to follow game to game what is allowed (contact) and what is a foul.
Problem number one is you expect the same contact from game to game. All teams in the Big Ten do you have the same talent or the same style of play. You are never going to accomplish that with different sets of officials working every night.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 07, 2006, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

Problem in the SEC also

Quote:
JRut,

That's the problem in the SEC also. From night to night its very hard to see any real continuity from the officials.

I'm sure that a lot of that has to do with senority though since many of the senior officials can just about call how they want and get away with it.

Thansk
David