The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 30, 2006, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Hand Checking guidelines

The GPBOA website ( http://www.gpboa.org/Rules%20&%20Mechanics.htm )has some good articles for beginning officials.

One in particular is regarding hand checking, and was written by John Basorist, a D1 official in Michigan. The full article is at http://www.gpboa.org/Articles/Handchecking.pdf but the gist of the article is :
Quote:
Hand checking is NOT allowed on the ball handler. Referees have the misconception that "I'll call it if it impedes the ball handler". That is not the direction referees are being encouraged to follow. ONE warning is given to the player, and if there is another infraction, then the foul should be called.
The following are hand checking guidelines for all referees:
It is a foul If;
• A defender leaves his hand on an opponent
• A defender continually places hand(s) on an opponent
• A defender places two hands on an opponent
• A defender continually jabs an opponent
• An illegal arm bar is used by the defender
Incidental contact with the hand(s) that does not impede the progress of an
opponent is NOT illegal. The defensive player's action of feeling for a screen that may be set to the side or to the rear is NOT illegal.
Also:
Quote:
Warn the players ONCE and then call the foul! This also applies to illegal arm bars placed outside of a defensive player's cylinder. An arm bar may be used when defending in post play but it is NOT allowed when FACE to FACE with an opponent or a guard is defending the ball handler.
Are these guidelines appropriate for NFHS?
Old Wed Aug 30, 2006, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf
The GPBOA website ( http://www.gpboa.org/Rules%20&%20Mechanics.htm )has some good articles for beginning officials.

One in particular is regarding hand checking, and was written by John Basorist, a D1 official in Michigan. The full article is at http://www.gpboa.org/Articles/Handchecking.pdf but the gist of the article is :

Also:

I am not all for the one warning, if you put two hand on the ball handler I am going to call it right now, now warning. I would also call it a hold not a handcheck. If the arm bar impedes the ball handler and is extended out from the body I am going to get it without a warning. I guess it depends if you are a women's or men's college official. On the women's side we have strict guidelines for handchecks and armbars.
Old Wed Aug 30, 2006, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Also:

These guidelines look very similar to the NCAA-W guidelines, and considering one of the articles on the GPBOA website is written by Don Rutledge, supervisor of officials for the WNBA, it doesn't surprise me there's some NCAA-W influence there. However, I've been told there are no cut-and-dried guidelines such as this in NFHS. I would suggest talking to your assignor or supervisor to see if that's how they want the HS games called.

My personal opinion: I think it takes away some of the judgement involved in the call. For example - two hands on an opponent is a foul. But what if A1 came right at the defender, and B1 puts up their hands as a reaction and A1 contacts both hands. You have to call the foul. But there's also no rules basis for calling it; your explanation to the coach is that's how your association told you to call it. At least in NCAA-W, the guidelines are in the rule book, and when we call it the coach has no basis for a complaint because it's written right there.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Aug 30, 2006, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
These guidelines look very similar to the NCAA-W guidelines, and considering one of the articles on the GPBOA website is written by Don Rutledge, supervisor of officials for the WNBA, it doesn't surprise me there's some NCAA-W influence there. However, I've been told there are no cut-and-dried guidelines such as this in NFHS. I would suggest talking to your assignor or supervisor to see if that's how they want the HS games called.

My personal opinion: I think it takes away some of the judgement involved in the call. For example - two hands on an opponent is a foul. But what if A1 came right at the defender, and B1 puts up their hands as a reaction and A1 contacts both hands. You have to call the foul. But there's also no rules basis for calling it; your explanation to the coach is that's how your association told you to call it. At least in NCAA-W, the guidelines are in the rule book, and when we call it the coach has no basis for a complaint because it's written right there.
Don Rutledge is not the WNBA supervisor, it is Dee Kantner. In women's NCAA we don't give you a warning. The play you decribed is a no call, what I am saying is when a defender put two hands on the dribbler by their own accord.
Old Wed Aug 30, 2006, 02:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
They do not look like guidelines, but that is never going to take away from judgment of the official on a game.

Also these do look like NCAA Women's guidelines. I would not use these in boy’s varsity games.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 30, 2006, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Hand checking is NOT allowed on the ball handler. Referees have the misconception that "I'll call it if it impedes the ball handler". That is not the direction referees are being encouraged to follow.
Ok, I got it. Call the contact. It doesn't matter whether it impedes the ball handler.

Quote:
Incidental contact with the hand(s) that does not impede the progress of an opponent is NOT illegal.
But. . . you just. . . said. . . Didn't we . . . just agree. . .?

Quote:
An arm bar may be used when defending in post play
Cough, cough, bulldexter, cough, cough. . .
Old Wed Aug 30, 2006, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRef
Don Rutledge is not the WNBA supervisor, it is Dee Kantner.
Are you sure? I thought Dee was originally, but didn't Don take over for her? It mentions Don as the supervisor in the article on the website - under "Articles of Interest", it's "Rutledge's Rules".
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRef
In women's NCAA we don't give you a warning. The play you decribed is a no call, what I am saying is when a defender put two hands on the dribbler by their own accord.
I'm aware of that as well. But even NCAA-W have backed off a little from their previous handchecking guidelines because play was being stopped without any obvious advantage being gained. They have put a little judgement back into the call.

The article does kind of contradict itself a little. On one line, it says officials "have the misconception that "I'll call it if it impedes the ball handler". But this is not the direction referees are encouraged to follow." Then it says, "Incidental contact with the hand(s) that does not impede the progress of the ball handler is NOT illegal."

I still think NFHS wants the judgement in there. Maybe we as officials aren't doing a good enough job in calling when it should be called. But I don't think they're ready to put in specific guidelines yet.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Aug 30, 2006, 02:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Are you sure? I thought Dee was originally, but didn't Don take over for her? It mentions Don as the supervisor in the article on the website - under "Articles of Interest", it's "Rutledge's Rules".
Don has not been the Supervisor since around the late 90s. Dee Kanter replaced Patty Broddrick about 2 years ago.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 30, 2006, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Dang it Chuck, you type faster than me!

However, I will disagree with your coughing spell. This is directly out of NCAA-W as well - armbars are legal on a post player with their back to the basket, as long as there is no displacement. However, armbars are not allowed on a ball-handler away from the basket, and once the post player has the ball and turns to face the basket, the armbar must come off.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Aug 30, 2006, 02:45pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
However, armbars are not allowed on a ball-handler away from the basket, and once the post player has the ball and turns to face the basket, the armbar must come off.
Arm bars are not legal in NCAA-Men's basketball. Do not tell Z this; he might get upset if this is pointed out.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 30, 2006, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Don has not been the Supervisor since around the late 90s. Dee Kanter replaced Patty Broddrick about 2 years ago.

Peace
AH HA! It's true!!
You really have been keeping up on the WNBA!

Wasn't Dee originally the supervisor in the beginning as well?

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Aug 30, 2006, 03:01pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

I still think NFHS wants the judgement in there. Maybe we as officials aren't doing a good enough job in calling when it should be called. But I don't think they're ready to put in specific guidelines yet.
Oh?

The FED has already issued guidelines. Several times. The most recent one iirc was in the 2003-04 rule book.

POE 2A- HANDCHECKING:
1) Any tactic using the hands, arms or body that allows a player, on offense or defense, to "control"(hold, impede, push, divert, slow or prevent) the movement of an opponent is a foul.
2) When an offensive player uses his or her hands or body to push-off for position, for spacing, for getting open to receive a pass or to move the ball via pass or dribble, it is a foul.
3) "Hooking" by the offensive players should be presumed a definite advantage. This is not a judgement call or tactic worthy of a warning. It is a foul and should be called without hesitation.
4) Any act or tactic of illegal use of the hands, arms or body(offense or defense) that intentionally slows, prevents, impedes the progress or displaces an opposing player due to the contact is a foul and must be called.
5) Regardless of where it takes place on the floor, when a player continuosly places a hand on an opposing player, it is a foul.
6) When a player jabs a hand or forearm on an opponent, it is a foul.

Also from a POE the previous year:
1) No displacement of a cutter
2) The measuring up of an opponent(tagging) is hand checking, is not permitted, and is a foul.
3) Use of a forearm, regardless of the duration of the contact, is a foul.

As you already know,M, NCAA Men and Wimmen set out their own guidelines in the appendices immediately following R10 in the NCAA rule book.

When in doubt, use the rule book.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Wed Aug 30, 2006 at 03:08pm.
Old Wed Aug 30, 2006, 03:05pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Jim, I would ignore those guidelines completely for NFHS. Several of them are just plain wrong, including the armbars and "tagging" a defender.
Old Wed Aug 30, 2006, 03:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
AH HA! It's true!!
You really have been keeping up on the WNBA!

I knew this for two reasons. Don Rutledge and I share the same last name. And the WNBA started after my first year of officiating. I had not yet developed an open opinion on Women's basketball. After the first WNBA season, I worked a 40+ varsity girl's basketball and about 20 varsity boys’ and it was clear which was most fun.

Quote:
Wasn't Dee originally the supervisor in the beginning as well?
I do remember she played some role early on, but it was not the Supervisor. I think she has just broken into the NBA and she might have been asked to do something for the WNBA, but I know Don was the first Supervisor.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 30, 2006, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

JR - you're right about the NFHS guidelines listed. Maybe I wasn't specific about my specificity?

All of the items you list still have a measure of judgement to them - any tactic used to "control", for example, or words such as "tactic...that intentionally slows, prevents, impedes the progress or displaces an opposing player due to the contact". I was just trying to point out there should still be judgement involved in the call. I was responding to the real specific items, such as "any two hands on an opponent", for example.

I do also have to point out a little inconsistancy on your part. You made the comment, "Jim, I would ignore those guidelines completely for NFHS. Several of them are just plain wrong, including the armbars and "tagging" a defender." Well, in your previous post regarding a POE from a previous year:
2) The measuring up of an opponent(tagging) is hand checking, is not permitted, and is a foul.
So there.

So, I'm not saying there shouldn't be guidelines, just not real specific ones like the ones listed that seem to take away the judgement.

(Used with permission.)