The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 01, 2001, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

Team A is clearly blowing out B - the final score was 75 to 25, with most of B's points scored in the final quarter when A's center and forwards remained at their own basket and only sending the guards down for defense.

Team B was commiting most of the fouls and I went easy on them once they were about 25 points behind. These weren't hard fouls, mostly just the normal, inadvertant contact under the basket. Furthermore, I didn't feel I should whistle team A for what I wasn't calling on team B.

What guidelines do experienced officials use in such situations? Call all fouls normally which would allow the obviously superior team to increase their lead and extend the duration of the massacre? Go harder on the superior team? Other???
Old Wed Aug 01, 2001, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

I'm careful about fouls. If these are not called, the game can get out of hand and UGLY! I've seen such from the stands. However, I will let the little ones go on the losers, and be a little more strict on the theam that's ahead, especially if generated by stupid play.

As for violations, I make very liberal changes there. This is especially true for young kids. I had such a game with 5th-grade girls once. The score was something like 25-3 late in the game. The "3" rebounded a missed shot and walked OOB for the throw in. I rushed over and said something like "No no, just go down the court" as I shewed them like a flock of birds or something. The girls just obeyed and thought nothing of it. The parents praised me for having a good perspective on the game. BTW, with a 18-3 or so half-time score you can guess who in-bounded the ball for Q3. It took several comments, however, to get the arrow changed during half-time so that it would match. They finally got the picture (and agreed). The team that was behind committed no violations!
Old Wed Aug 01, 2001, 08:22pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Wondering
Team A is clearly blowing out B - the final score was 75 to 25, with most of B's points scored in the final quarter when A's center and forwards remained at their own basket and only sending the guards down for defense.

Team B was commiting most of the fouls and I went easy on them once they were about 25 points behind. These weren't hard fouls, mostly just the normal, inadvertant contact under the basket. Furthermore, I didn't feel I should whistle team A for what I wasn't calling on team B.

What guidelines do experienced officials use in such situations? Call all fouls normally which would allow the obviously superior team to increase their lead and extend the duration of the massacre? Go harder on the superior team? Other???
Wondering,
I don't care what the score is.
I do not care what the score may become.
I do not play favorites.
I do not call inadvertant contact unless it affects the play, or is hard.

But then, we have a running clock at 40 points to 30 points, so that alleviates some of my pain.
Don't forget that, on those blowouts, the subs are often playing, and they also deserve a proper game as do their fans.
mick
Old Wed Aug 01, 2001, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Once again, I agree with Mick.
Old Thu Aug 02, 2001, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Me Three!

Mick is aligned with my philosophy.

Except we do not have a "mercy rule", unless it is summer league or "pee-wee" tourneys.
Old Thu Aug 02, 2001, 10:53am
certified Hot Mom tester

It is very difficult, especially when doing games involving younger kids, to call a game properly when it is a blowout. Human nature may induce us to slack off let a lot of stuff go, especially by the losing team.

While I might let a borderline violation go when it really doesn't give an advantage (I might do this anyway regardless of the spread), there are three points strongly in favor of calling the game in a normal manner.

1. the kids who are on the floor at the time need to learn what they can and cannot do in a game situation. It is not our job to allow them to develop bad habits. If we do, they will be confused (and rightly so) when they are in a closer game and the same stuff we let go now gets called.

2. as stated in other posts, letting a lot of stuff go, especially in this situation where the team getting clobbered can easily get frustrated, is just the first step toward a player getting hurt on a hard foul.

3. it is counterproductive to your mechanic and game skills. It is a backward step toward sloppy mechanics and takes the edge off your progress toward being consistent in your calls.
Old Thu Aug 02, 2001, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

My thoughts, during extreme blowouts, I don't like to pro-long the game. And to comment on the fact that the players don't need to learn bad habits. They know exactly what is going on, and if they take advantage of it then there should be consequences, but give the kids more credit than you are.
Old Thu Aug 02, 2001, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Wondering --

It's hard to feel good about this, no matter how you handle it. Here's what I've done so that I feel I'm being consistent, fair and "equal". I have developed a sort of extreme sense of advantage/disadvantage. Think about it this way. The team that ends up 50 points ahead (and you often know ahead of time who it will be) has all the advantages. You cannot take away any of the legal advantages -- that destroys the nature of The Game. I mean, the whole point is to have legal advantages and to use them. But you can always take away illegal advantages. So let's call the better team, Team A. If A1 has the ball and is able to get past B1 by clever foot work and good ball handling, there's no call. But if she has her hand on the side of the ball just barely long enough to "steer" the ball around the defender, TWEET!, "Carry!" B1 tries the same thing, but A1 has better position and B1 can't get past, no-call. I'm talking about the borderline calls here, nothing obvious. Same thing with contact. If a point guard isn't very good, and is easily bumped out of her path, it's A's responsibility to back off a little, and I'll call it if they don't. Same point-guard B1 now defending A1 with the ball, a minor bump may not confer a disadvantage, so I don't call it. You still have to call all the obvious stuff on either team.

Also, I've felt that overall, calling the game more strictly is better for the underdog team that calling it loosely. It may seem backwards, but I've done a lot of really lousy games and my observation is that, in general, the far less skilled team will rise a little to a strict line, and the advantaged team will back off a little to avoid the silly-little-fouls, and the lower level team will do better than they otherwise would have.

I know that there are people that will disagree with this, but it works for me, and I've even had a couple of coaches appreciate it. It's easy to explain -- "Coach, yes, they are bumping you a little, but they're not gaining advantage by it, Do you want me to take away those easy points?" Or, "Do you want to shoot foul shots all night?"

[Edited by rainmaker on Aug 2nd, 2001 at 02:47 PM]
Old Thu Aug 02, 2001, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

When the loser gets goofy

I had a blow out the other day, I'm not sure of the ages, maybe 7th-8th, some frosh level. (I guess I should say two blow outs). First game: red team is down and the coach already had a T from early in the first half, which he must have known the seatbelt rule cuz he sat right away. So in the second half the glue wore off and about 5 minutes into the half I kindly told him, "coach, I need you to sit down". He yapped back at me "YOU need to call your game". Instead of telling him that his-butt-in-the-seat IS my game, I just used the smile & nod procedure as he yapped at me for a few more seconds (walking onto the court), so my right fingertips met my left palm. and I asked the coach to leave....well he took his whole team with him. That worked out ok cuz we were a half hour behind and this set us perfectly back on time.
Next day: we have the same red team, coach never said a word, 5 min left to go and (the red team being down by much) just goes goofy and starts doin' all kinds of fancy stuff that doesn't always work. When they did score off their Harlem Globetrotter plays, their bench would go wild. Pretty soon their bench was at the table, ready to sub, but they could not control themselves, #0 jumps onto the court and then gets the OOPs look and dashes back to the table. I didn't catch it until he was sliding back to the table. I knew he didn't mean to come in, he was only jumping to celebrate their big loss. I just shook my head and told them no-no.The next time the team scored a couple seconds later he and a team mate did it again, This time I blew my whistle, and as I gave them a loud verbal warning for not entering the court, all five of the subs scurried on to the court and were joking and cheering out of goofyness. (I gave them a T). As the other team shoots the free thorws, the whole red team is running a couple of half-court sprints in the back court. BTW red team also called a full time out. Here's the rule check: was I right in calling the T on the subs a "bench technical" for running on the court even though it was a specific # (#0, who later was issued a T for unsportsmanlike gestures to my partners back).? See, if the sub technical is not considered bench, then #0 would have been disqualified later on... I had to think about that one when he got the T later on.
Old Fri Aug 03, 2001, 07:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Wondering --

But if she has her hand on the side of the ball just barely long enough to "steer" the ball around the defender, TWEET!, "Carry!"

[Edited by rainmaker on Aug 2nd, 2001 at 02:47 PM]
When did a hand on the side of the ball become palming?
Old Fri Aug 03, 2001, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Handling a blowout is a major part of officiating. Assignors want to know how you handle it. Chances are, they will give you one as your first varsity game. I know that it is common to give an official the 16 vs 1 seed for their first NCAA playoff game. So don't blow it when you have it.

My goals in a blowout is:
1) Don't let anything stupid happen. I.E. star gets injured because of a foul that was never called.
2) Keep the clock running.
3) Call what needs to be called. If you can't ignor it then don't.
4) The benefit of the doubt goes to the losing team. Not in a cheating way but if two kids lundge for the ball and it goes out of bounds, the losing team gets the ball.

Worst blowout I called was my first playoff game. Junior High tourny seeds 15 vs 2. Winning score was made in the first minute. 10-0 at that point. Final score 78-9.
Old Fri Aug 03, 2001, 01:27pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs down Not so fast Tim!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by mick

Wondering,
I don't care what the score is.
I do not care what the score may become.
I do not play favorites.
I do not call inadvertant contact unless it affects the play, or is hard.

But then, we have a running clock at 40 points to 30 points, so that alleviates some of my pain.
Don't forget that, on those blowouts, the subs are often playing, and they also deserve a proper game as do their fans.
mick [/B]
I have to go back to what Mick said. I think we do the game a disservice when we do not do these things. Who cares if the clock is running or not. Believe it or not, you do not choose whether it does or not, the players do. If they cannot keep the ball inbounds, the clock will not run. But do not drastically change your foul calls or your violation calls, just because you have a blow out. Coaches will respect you more if you call the same game. When you change things, it confirms what they already think about us. That we are playing favorites or they are getting screwed. Finish the game yes. Do what you can to keep the game moving, but do not change calls or give the benefit of the doubt to anyone. When that 40 point lead because a 15 point lead and you are a few 3 pointers away from making it is a single digit lead, you do not want them to blame you. They will anyway, but do not give them ammo.

Peace
Old Fri Aug 03, 2001, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gary Brendemuehl
[B]
Quote:
But if she has her hand on the side of the ball just barely long enough to "steer" the ball around the defender, TWEET!, "Carry!"

When it became "steering"
Old Fri Aug 03, 2001, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Brendemuehl
Quote:

Can you point out for me where the rule (or case book) defines steering? Or tell me what steering is? How do you change the direction of the ball without steering it?
Old Fri Aug 03, 2001, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Can you point out for me where the rule (or case book) defines steering? Or tell me what steering is? How do you change the direction of the ball without steering it?
Hey Gary, I think you know pretty much what she's talking
about, we've all seen it and a lot of it was covered
as an NF POE last year. Gripping the ball on the top or
side, either with the hand (big boys) or by holding
it between the hand & forearm (littler guys) during a
dribble is to be considered a dribbling violation. Most
often accompanied by the up-on-your-toes-suspended-
animation-fake-move that is so popular these days, which
is where the "steering" comes in. You can actually buy
videotapes that teach this move.