Old Mon Aug 06, 2001, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Brendemuehl
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
But if she has her hand on the side of the ball just barely long enough to "steer" the ball around the defender, TWEET!, "Carry!"
When did a hand on the side of the ball become palming?

2000-2001 NFHS POE

Palming: ...Where we are seeing a definite advantage to the offensive player is on the hesitation "move" to beat a defender (toward the basket or just to go by them). In many of these instances, the ball is "coming to rest" in the dribbler's hand. A violation must be called by the official, as there is no way to legally defend against this move.

Just because the palm is on the side of the ball, that doesn't meant the dribble is legal.

Nice job, Juules.

Yes, I read the POE also. And I note that it refers to the the ball "coming to rest" in the dribbler's hand. It did not say "when the player steers the ball" nor did it refer to the length of time that a player's hand is in contact with the ball. Although I do agree that the longer the hand is in contact with the ball , the more likely it is that the ball came to rest. I put the terms "steering" and "the hand was in contact with the ball too long" into the same category as "over the back" A dribble is illegal because the ball came to rest in the hand, not because it was steered.