View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 02, 2001, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

When the loser gets goofy

I had a blow out the other day, I'm not sure of the ages, maybe 7th-8th, some frosh level. (I guess I should say two blow outs). First game: red team is down and the coach already had a T from early in the first half, which he must have known the seatbelt rule cuz he sat right away. So in the second half the glue wore off and about 5 minutes into the half I kindly told him, "coach, I need you to sit down". He yapped back at me "YOU need to call your game". Instead of telling him that his-butt-in-the-seat IS my game, I just used the smile & nod procedure as he yapped at me for a few more seconds (walking onto the court), so my right fingertips met my left palm. and I asked the coach to leave....well he took his whole team with him. That worked out ok cuz we were a half hour behind and this set us perfectly back on time.
Next day: we have the same red team, coach never said a word, 5 min left to go and (the red team being down by much) just goes goofy and starts doin' all kinds of fancy stuff that doesn't always work. When they did score off their Harlem Globetrotter plays, their bench would go wild. Pretty soon their bench was at the table, ready to sub, but they could not control themselves, #0 jumps onto the court and then gets the OOPs look and dashes back to the table. I didn't catch it until he was sliding back to the table. I knew he didn't mean to come in, he was only jumping to celebrate their big loss. I just shook my head and told them no-no.The next time the team scored a couple seconds later he and a team mate did it again, This time I blew my whistle, and as I gave them a loud verbal warning for not entering the court, all five of the subs scurried on to the court and were joking and cheering out of goofyness. (I gave them a T). As the other team shoots the free thorws, the whole red team is running a couple of half-court sprints in the back court. BTW red team also called a full time out. Here's the rule check: was I right in calling the T on the subs a "bench technical" for running on the court even though it was a specific # (#0, who later was issued a T for unsportsmanlike gestures to my partners back).? See, if the sub technical is not considered bench, then #0 would have been disqualified later on... I had to think about that one when he got the T later on.