View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 07, 2001, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: Back to blowouts....

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Ogg
I had a 14 AAU game one time that was developing into a blowout. As we broke for half-time I spoke to the coach that was ahead. I suggested that frustrations were mounting on the other team and maybe they shouldn't press every time. After the half-time he told me he spoke with the opposing coach and the opposing coach wanted the opportunity to work on breaking the press. (He was within hearing range.) I said that was fine, as long as player frustrations didn't grow to the point that someone might get hurt. I emphasized that I inteded to deal with play that pushed those frustrations too high. Both coaches agreed and understood. OK, I win one. (Don't ask for my score! )

I've also been told that there are no blowouts until the 4th quarter. This avoids the comebacks others mentioned. I tend to agree, but there are exceptions. My 5th grade girls game was 18-3 at half-time only because:

• the team with 18 was making 5 or so passes before shooting and
  • making no effort for offensive rebounds.
  • They were also keeping their defense inside the 3-point arc.
  • The skilled players were getting very little playing time, and only one at a time.
  • The team behind did not know how to dribble nor shoot.

We were in no danger of a comeback. We ignored no fouls. We ignored some violations, but it was not an issue of teaching these girls that something else was legal. Our goal was to hope the losing team managed to get to mid-court without losing the ball on their own. No one was showing any signs of frustration, and that aspect of game management is valuable.

I suspect the game someone had that ended 78-9 (or whatever) was obviously a blowout by the 3rd quarter.
With respect to all this blowout talk, why can't we all just
ignore the score? We're not out there to make sure each
game is competetive. Our only concern in these games should
be to make sure the players continue to focus on the game
(no cheap shots, taunting, etc) and to enforce any local
mercy rules (no press, etc). We shouldn't make up our own
set of mercy rules and we should almost never (some wise
man recently said to never say never) tell a coach how to
play his team.