View Single Post
Old Sun Aug 05, 2001, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Brendemuehl
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
But if she has her hand on the side of the ball just barely long enough to "steer" the ball around the defender, TWEET!, "Carry!"
When did a hand on the side of the ball become palming?

2000-2001 NFHS POE

Palming: ...Where we are seeing a definite advantage to the offensive player is on the hesitation "move" to beat a defender (toward the basket or just to go by them). In many of these instances, the ball is "coming to rest" in the dribbler's hand. A violation must be called by the official, as there is no way to legally defend against this move.

Just because the palm is on the side of the ball, that doesn't meant the dribble is legal.

Nice job, Juules.

Quote:
Originally posted by Stripes130
If steering was illegal, then the "around the back dribble" would be too.
Guess what hotshot! In many cases, it is. It's just that most officials are too chickensh*t to call it.

Know what else? Most spin moves are traveling.

Quote:
Originally posted by Just Curious
"Coach, I know it's none of my business but with the lead you have, don't you think you could pull your press off?"
That was your mistake, Chuck. Don't ask him anything. Simply whistle two or three fouls on his team while they're pressing. He'll get the message quickly enough. I know some will object to that but there's just no sense in humiliating a less talented team. I don't concern myself with this too much until late 3rd or early 4th quarter. Most coaches are smart enough to pull the press off by then anyway.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith