The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 12, 2006, 11:33am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
Doesn't a point to the floor to the throw in location indicate you are not shooting free throws? It does on a common foul prior to the bonus where some may think the player who was fouled is in the act of shooting and you rule otherwise.
If you are using pure NF mechanics (NCAA too), then you are not supposed to point to the floor to indicate "no shots." You are supposed to give the no shot (incomplete pass, declinded penalty) signal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
If they want us to give the punch signal, in addition to, or instead of, a block or push signal, that's fine. I will do it, but I don't see the point.

I'm not sure that too many people pay attention to signals anyway. They don't know what most of them mean.
I am not saying it is completely the right thing to do. This is for other people do decide. I am just saying based on ever other signal types and sequences; they are going to require us to punch at the table. I could be wrong and but if you are calling a PC foul, you still report that to the table. This rule is not different.

Peace
Old Fri May 12, 2006, 12:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref_ Fred
if I understand the true mechanics of the punch, A lot of officials I work with that have been officiating for many year, use the punch to signal for a charging foul.

Do I have this correct?
How can anyone contradict what you have witnessed with your own eyes? If people are using the punch signal for charging or PC fouls, that would not surprise me. Considering the fact that many officials work college ball and HS at the same time, I am sure there are going to be cross mechanics and philosophies about those mechanics. I know there is from what I have seen. All I can say is using the punch would not be the proper mechanic for NF games. Your state, area, association could use a mechanic that is not within the confines of the NF Official's Manual.

Peace
Old Fri May 12, 2006, 12:14pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
if I understand the true mechanics of the punch, A lot of officials I work with that have been officiating for many year, use the punch to signal for a charging foul.
I notice it some from folks who work NCAA-W when they have a PC. But this year a FED POE is proper signals so we'll have to see if commissioners/supervisors crack down on it.
Old Fri May 12, 2006, 06:19pm
M.A.S.H.

It should be shown to the table, at least the reason they stated in the release was to clear up confusion at the table on when to shoot free-throws and when not to shoot.
Old Fri May 12, 2006, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Do I have this correct?
I'm assuming you're talking about a player control foul vs. a "pass and crash" charge.

If you're referring to games officiated with NFHS rules, then those officials are incorrect and will continue to be incorrect even with this update. The correct mechanic for a player control foul is the hand behind the head signal.

The punch will only be valid for team control fouls, so that's why it would be incorrect to use in a PC situation. If you have a "pass and crash," then the punch would be correct because the player's control has terminated, but team control remains.
Old Fri May 12, 2006, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

In our mechanics (FIBA) the pointing of the fist on a foul signifies a team control foul, for a charge, we use a punch on an open hand, so on a charge with team control foul we signal a punch to an open hand to the scorebench to denote the type of foul followed by the fist pointing direction of play, cheers