The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 12, 2001, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

During a play, the wing officials most often have the spot of ball at the end of the play. My question is this regarding the "two-feet-together" mechanic:

Does the nose of the ball get placed at (a) Outside edge of lead foot, (b) between the feet on lead foot, (c) between feet on rear feet, or (d) on the outside edge of the rear foot?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I've always thought is was between the feet on the lead foot.

Please take a look at this "diagram" (if it actually shows up well).

Offense is going this way
<------------------------------
<-------------------------------
<------------------------------

(a) (b)(c) (d)
...xxx....xxx (toes)
..xxxxx..xxxxx
..xxxxx..xxxxx (These are the feet together)
..xxxxx..xxxxx
..xxxxx..xxxxx
..xxxxx..xxxxx
..xxxxx..xxxxx (heal)
Old Sat Jan 13, 2001, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

If I am reading your diagram correctly, as an umpire I will spot the ball as in (a). When you give me a spot wih your feet together, I will stand on the same yardline as you with my feet together or only slighly apart, mirroring your position. I will then place the ball on the ground centered on my feet (middle of the ball in the middle of my stance). This is close enough for any down except one that requires a measurement.

On a measurement down (one that ends close enough to the line-to-gain so as to need a measurement) the wingman should crash in as close to the spot as he can and place the ball on the ground where it became dead. Forget the feet - the wingman places the ball on the spot.

I do remember a time when the wingman would thrust his downfield (lead) foot forward and the nose of the ball went on the point of the foot. We don't use that mechanic any more.

I recommend two things:

1) The umpire should take the spot as I described as quickly as possible, and communicate to the wingman that he has the spot. The wingman should then LEAVE. Yes, leave. Walk away, turn and go to your sideline.

2) The wingmen should mirror each other on whoever has the better spot. As soon as the umpire looks to one for the spot, the opposite wingman should LEAVE before the umpire even sets up. This is true even if he believes he has the better spot.

These two simple steps make the crew look better (sharper, more decisive) and reduce the opportunity for any griping about the spot.

My opinion, of course, but this has worked effectively in my crew and my association for years.