The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 29 votes, 4.17 average. Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 06, 2006, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Hockey?

Does anyone outside of Canada really care?
Of course!! Why Tony is practically bursting with pride over his local Hurricanes, I'm sure. North Carolina is a hotbed of hockey fanaticism. Right, Tony? Tony?

BTW, Edmonton scored on a penalty shot last night. According to ESPN, it was the very first successful penalty shot in Stanley Cup Finals history. Whether you like hockey or not, that's pretty amazing.

Of course, Edmonton also coughed up a 3-0 lead and lost on a horrible turnover behind their own goal with 31 seconds left in regulation. That goalie has to feel sick about it, but he hadn't played at all in the playoffs before last night.
Old Tue Jun 06, 2006, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
BTW, Edmonton scored on a penalty shot last night. According to ESPN, it was the very first successful penalty shot in Stanley Cup Finals history. Whether you like hockey or not, that's pretty amazing.
There's been like 37* successful penalty shots in all of NHL hockey since the invention of ice. Why are you amazed that none of them ocurred in the NHL finals?

*Guaranteed 118% actual made up statistic
Old Tue Jun 06, 2006, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
There's been like 37* successful penalty shots in all of NHL hockey since the invention of ice. Why are you amazed that none of them ocurred in the NHL finals?

*Guaranteed 118% actual made up statistic
So, are you 118% sure?

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Jun 06, 2006, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So, are you 118% sure?
Mmmmm...I have my doubts. More like only 106% sure.

Make that 107% sure.
Old Tue Jun 06, 2006, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Mmmmm...I have my doubts. More like only 106% sure.

Make that 107% sure.
Wait...did you hear that?

It sounded like Chuck's head exploding.

I do have to admit I'm with Chuck on this one. All the years hockey has been around, and all the Stanley Cup Finals games that have been played, and the first penalty shot doesn't happen until 2006?

Kinda makes you think that it you wait long enough, just about anything can happen... Cubs win World Series!

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Jun 06, 2006, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Wait...did you hear that?

It sounded like Chuck's head exploding.

I do have to admit I'm with Chuck on this one. All the years hockey has been around, and all the Stanley Cup Finals games that have been played, and the first penalty shot doesn't happen until 2006?
I don't think he said that.

He said the first successful penalty shot.

And again, this is like you guys finding it incredible that there's never been a successful penalty shot in any other random series of games.

When you think about how rare penalty shots are & even rarer that successful penalty shots are then it's not such a big deal IMO.

But it doesn't matter. My only goal was to get Chuck's head exploding.

I'm 136% sure we did that.
Old Tue Jun 06, 2006, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't think he said that.

He said the first successful penalty shot.
Oh, that's different.

Never mind.

Chuck?

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Jun 06, 2006, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Oh, that's different.

Never mind.

Chuck?

I think we have an easier way to explode Chuck's head:

Melky Cabrara
Old Tue Jun 06, 2006, 11:39pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
I think we have an easier way to explode Chuck's head:

Melky Cabrara
Tsk, tsk, tsk....
Old Wed Jun 07, 2006, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

I just heard on PTI last night that former MLB umpire Eric Gregg died after a stroke. Here's one story on him.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/story/9480765
Old Wed Jun 07, 2006, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I just heard on PTI last night that former MLB umpire Eric Gregg died after a stroke. Here's one story on him.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/story/9480765
First off, good job on studiously ignoring the few previous posts.

I think the first time I heard he had the stroke was on Sat. or Sun., and the first thing I thought of was his issue with weight. It wasn't until I read the story that I heard he had even been up close to 400 lbs., although it sounded like he wasn't that heavy when this happened.

A sad story, but it sounds like he kept his good humor throughout.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Jun 07, 2006, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Monday night, Ken Griffey, Jr. hit a home run in the Cardinals' new stadium. It was the 43rd different major league ballpark in which (or out of which?) he's hit a home run. That ties the record set by Fred McGriff. It's not a real big deal, since much of it is due to whether or not a lot of new ballparks are built during your career. But it's still pretty cool.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=260605124

BTW, I'm studiously ignoring all the goings-on in New York while I concentrate on my daughter's 5th/6th grade softball team; which is currently in the middle of a 5-game winning streak. How I got roped into coaching first base, I'll never know. . .
Old Wed Jun 07, 2006, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Monday night, Ken Griffey, Jr. hit a home run in the Cardinals' new stadium. It was the 43rd different major league ballpark in which (or out of which?) he's hit a home run. That ties the record set by Fred McGriff. It's not a real big deal, since much of it is due to whether or not a lot of new ballparks are built during your career. But it's still pretty cool.

BTW, I'm studiously ignoring all the goings-on in New York while I concentrate on my daughter's 5th/6th grade softball team; which is currently in the middle of a 5-game winning streak. How I got roped into coaching first base, I'll never know. . .
Here's some advice you can use while you're standing there in the 1st base coaching box:

Tell the runner on first that when she steals second just keep going. Even the pro's don't know how to handle that type of thing...

btw, I vote for "out of which".
Old Wed Jun 07, 2006, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I had not heard about Griffey's accomplishment. I'm sure another factor is being traded in between leagues as well. But it still amazes me that someone, somewhere, is keeping track of stuff like that. I know computers help, but that means someone's inputing the info...

Ok, there are a few questions I have to ask about your daughter's softball games:

First, are you one those 5th and 6th grade parents that feel this is a life-or-death situation?

And second, do the players see your signals, or do you need to stand on a stool?

JR made me do it. It's true...it's true...

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Jun 07, 2006, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I had not heard about Griffey's accomplishment. I'm sure another factor is being traded in between leagues as well. But it still amazes me that someone, somewhere, is keeping track of stuff like that. I know computers help, but that means someone's inputing the info...

Ok, there are a few questions I have to ask about your daughter's softball games:

First, are you one those 5th and 6th grade parents that feel this is a life-or-death situation?

And second, do the players see your signals, or do you need to stand on a stool?

JR made me do it. It's true...it's true...
ROTFLMAO

"Hey! Where did Mr. Elias go??"
"He's standing behind Melissa."

It's true...it's true...
Closed Thread