The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   WARNING!! Annual Off-Topic Baseball Thread. Esteemed Members BEWARE!! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/25929-warning-annual-off-topic-baseball-thread-esteemed-members-beware.html)

ChuckElias Tue Apr 04, 2006 08:33am

WARNING!! Annual Off-Topic Baseball Thread. Esteemed Members BEWARE!!

OPENING DAY!!!

Schilling looks great, with a healthy ankle for the first time in 2 years. Sox rough up Millwood. Veritek drives in the first 2 runs of the season. And Ortiz hits one off the fair pole!

Yanks crush the A's, with help from ARod's grand salami.

Cardinals rang up 17 hits and 13 runs against the Phils and look like they have the NL Central wrapped up already; if they can hold off the Cubs, who pounded out 18 hits and scored 16 runs against Cincy.

The Mets and Nationals each had a World Series MVP as their Opening Day starter.

Mick's riding high with yet another Tigers' win on Opening Day.

DJ's riding low with yet another M's Opening Day loss.

Orioles hit 4 homers to beat up on the Devil Rays.

And there was a thriller in Colorado, as the Rockies scored in the bottom of the 11th to escape with a 3-2 win against Arizona. (This makes the Rockies the first team in 30 years to record "walk-off" Opening Day wins in consecutive seasons. The last team to do it was the Reds of the mid-70's.)

Almost any of these games was better than the FL/UCLA game last night. :) Hooray for baseball season!!!

M&M Guy Tue Apr 04, 2006 08:46am

First of all, thank you Chuck.

Second, this was at the end of the article recaping the President's visit to Cincinnati to throw out the first pitch:

Before the game, Bush visited the Reds' clubhouse and shook hands with each player in front of his locker. He received a black bat from Ken Griffey Jr., who patted the president on the back of his right shoulder.

Then, he was off to visit the Cubs for another quick go-around. As Bush entered the clubhouse of a team that hasn't won the World Series since 1908, he said, "So, this is the year, right?"

So far.

jkjenning Tue Apr 04, 2006 08:46am

I already learned what will happen this year in baseball, so no need to watch it: :)
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...llo/060403_may

Junker Tue Apr 04, 2006 09:55am

Thanks for the recap Chuck. Last week, as the loyal Cubs fan I am, I left my college roommate (also a Cubs fan) the following voicemail;
Flowers are coming up, grass is turning green, spring training is almost over, Wood and Prior are on the DL. Baseball season is officially here.

I was pretty excited about the new hit and run offense the Cubs seem to be playing. I'd rather watch that style than a bunch of stiffs standing on base waiting for a home run.

mick Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:09am

<font></font>

Jurassic Referee Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:17am

Yup, everything started out normal.....the Yanks are in first.....the BoSox are next to last..... the Mariners are on their way.....Mick is still optimistic...and the Cubbies' fans have visions of sugarplum dancing in their heads.

Unfortunately, there is no Santa Claus, Virginia. :)

M&M Guy Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Yup, everything started out normal.....the Yanks are in first.....the BoSox are next to last..... the Mariners are on their way.....Mick is still optimistic...and the Cubbies' fans have visions of sugarplum dancing in their heads.

Unfortunately, there is no Santa Claus, Virginia. :)

JR - better look again. The BoSox are ahead of the Yanks, because they won their game first. It's gonna be tough coming back from that deficit...

And I've never seen a sugurplum, so I don't know how one could start dancing in my head. Maybe I should ask Bob?

Jurassic Referee Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy
JR - better look again. The BoSox are ahead of the Yanks, because they won their game first.

Sigh...... :rolleyes:

Lemmee see now....the Yanks are 1-0.....Boston is 1-0... Baltimore is 1-0.....ergo, their winning percentage is 1000 and they're all in first place.......the other 2 team in their division have a winning percentage of .0000 and they are tied for last place. Now, for the mathematically disadvantaged and Cubs's fans, is it not true that the Yankees are in first place? Is it also not true that the BoSox are <b>next to last</b>?

Did you hit an abutment head-on too, Katie Jr.?

mick Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:48am

Quote:

And I've never seen a sugurplum,

http://mikuna.image.pbase.com/t1/06/...0.IMG_7819.jpg

M&M Guy Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee

Lemmee see now....the Yanks are 1-0.....Boston is 1-0... Baltimore is 1-0.....ergo, their winning percentage is 1000 and they're all in first place.......the other 2 team in their division have a winning percentage of .0000 and they are tied for last place. Now, for the mathematically disadvantaged and Cubs's fans, is it not true that the Yankees are in first place? Is it also not true that the BoSox are <b>next to last</b>?

Did you hit an abutment head-on too, Katie Jr.?

You're right, I now see the error of my ways.

The Red Sox are in first, and the Evil Empire is next to last. Thank you for clearing that up.

Jurassic Referee Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:05am

Quote:

The Red Sox are in first, and the Evil Empire is next to last. Thank you for clearing that up.

Yup, you can put it that way too. I prefer not to. The unbeaten Cubbies are next to last also.

Kinda sounds better that way somehow.....:D

M&M Guy Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:09am

:p <fontfont.>

Dan_ref Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:19am

Quote:

Hey, shouldn't you be mapping out your route for the big inter-timezone extravaganza tomorrow morning? :rolleyes:

btw...1 bit of news Chuck missed is that Barry Bonds visited the most laid back, non-judgemental and nauseatingly friendly city in the entire country & was roundly and soundly booed by each and every fan every single time he peeked his head out of the dugout. This is gonna get really ugly when he gets to Philly. And I hear the Mets are moving "flashlight battery day" to coincide with Bonds' visit to Shea.

Oh yeah, and it seems for some reason he's only hitting to the warning track now.

WhistlesAndStripes Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:23am

Damn. And I thought this thread had actually relocated to where it belongs, somewhere like the baseball forum, or general forum, where it better fits.

Dan_ref Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes
Damn. And I thought this thread had actually relocated to where it belongs, somewhere like the baseball forum, or general forum, where it better fits.

Sounds like we need another poll.

Somebody go get a 3 ft metal pole to beat him with.

:p