The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 03, 2006, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Some Questions.....

Hi all,

With the high school season now over, most of us are off to do our various other leagues/tournaments/etc. Some questions for all of you....

ONE - I was working an adult league that I also play in. The players are called to ref so I was working the game with inexperienced guys one night and one of them called (**UGH**) an EIGHT second violation in the backcourt.

Fortunately, I heard him and corrected the situation. HOWEVER, I had a thought after the game: Should the offensive team had the 10 count "reset" or should they only have 2 seconds left to advance?

While this specific scenario (8 seconds) should not happen, I am thinking "inadvertant" whistles DO OCCUR. My best guess is that the offensive team should retain the ball in the backcourt but only have 2 seconds left to advance since it was the officials mistake.

TWO - Same League, different problem. The league is a church league with no "coaches", just player who are captains. I didn't mention above that I don't get "paid" to ref these games. My tolerance for crap is fairly low in this league.

However, to be fair, I decided that if any players were giving me lip, I would talk to the team captain and give them a warning. That seemed like a good idea. Ah, the big catch.....the captain could possibly control the players on the floor but not the ones on the bench. So, the same night as above, I warned a team captain for one of his players yapping too much (ending T'ing the said player later anyway). Later in the game, while the captain was playing, another player on the bench openly questioned why I didn't make a traveling call since I was just a few steps away from the bench.

I looked at the player, thought about it for a second and decided to pass on T'ing the player on the bench. However, i was wondering how other officials handle these situations in other adult leagues such as this?

I thought I had one more scenario, but I can't quite remember at the time. I'll write again if it comes to mind.
Old Mon Apr 03, 2006, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

You don't have a coach and it is a church league. If there is no rule about 3 T's and a forfeit then either answer his question, don't answer his question, tell him to quit the JIBBA JABBA, or just whack him.

Personally I whack him and then tell him to shut the hell up. Just kidding, well maybe not.
Old Mon Apr 03, 2006, 09:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach41
While this specific scenario (8 seconds) should not happen, I am thinking "inadvertant" whistles DO OCCUR. My best guess is that the offensive team should retain the ball in the backcourt but only have 2 seconds left to advance since it was the officials mistake.
The count does not stay where it was. It resets. I am going to assume that this official was watching NBA games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach41
I looked at the player, thought about it for a second and decided to pass on T'ing the player on the bench. However, i was wondering how other officials handle these situations in other adult leagues such as this?
I do not work them. Adult Leagues are a waste of time. That is my opinion and I am sticking to it.

Peace
Old Mon Apr 03, 2006, 09:28pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

You've warned el capitan. Feel free to whack away, depending on how strenuous the objection from the player is.

As Rut said, on an inadvertent whistle, the count restarts once possession is established in the backcourt. They get the full 10 seconds again.
Old Mon Apr 03, 2006, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

Its weird how some NBA rules stick with people and how others don't. I didn't even know until a short time ago (last 2-3 years) that the NBA had shortened the backcourt count to 8 seconds from the traditional 10. I bet there's more people that even think the NBA has a 10 second count, though they haven't thought much about it or seen it called in years.

By the way, what is the NBA signal for the 8 second violation?
Old Mon Apr 03, 2006, 10:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

This is just a guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
By the way, what is the NBA signal for the 8 second violation?
The signal is probably the same as the 10 second violation in NF and NCAA mechanics, but with each hand giving up 4 fingers

Peace
Old Mon Apr 03, 2006, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

One solution is to not work adult leagues. I would not even consider them again.

The best/fairest thing you can do once the 8 second call was made is to give the coach a "ma-bad", give it back to the O-team and they get a new 10 seconds.
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Hi All,

Thanks for the responses. I actually don't work adult leagues too often, probably for the same reasons as some of you.

I work this particular league because my friends run the league and I play it in. I just offer my "services" to help out. Some days, I do wonder why I even botherrf to offer to ref.......

One of the most interesting moments ever reffing an adult league was back sometime last year. I was asked at the last moment to help out because someone cancelled. This was my first time working the league and I was with a veteran partner that I knew.

In the three games we worked, we gave one "T" per game. One guy was unhappy about a call and slammed the ball at the halfcourt line. Two guys were unhappy about being "kicked in the nuts" by opposing players and were swearing their heads off.

And this was just the "B" (i.e. Recreational) Division.......

I think I've worked a ton of adult leagues around the area, but I usually go once/twice per season and no more. The leagues frustrate me to no end and even the best games are usually not that great.
Old Wed Apr 05, 2006, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

I am pretty new at officiating. I still work adult, men's, rec-league games. I can definitely understand why people refuse to do them. I almost came to that same decision during my first night of rec league play this year!

However, I see a positive side to it for me. The games offer me a chance to see plays and scenarios that I do not see in junior high or JV girls or boys. They are more physical than DIII women's ball. Although many players have minimal talent, some players are good and once in awhile you see a guy who played D1 or overseas. I have a lot to learn, so I use it to work on positioning and mechanics and just making the right call.

That being said, I have a very, very, low tolerance for any nonsense. For a variety of reasons, many players seem to think it is okay to shout out curse words or question nearly every call. If an action warrants a T immediately I give it. i.e. a player shouts out the F bomb. No brainer for me - I whack him. If some one is annoying me by questioning calls (and this usually happens right away, if it's going to be a problem), I say loudly enough for all to hear that I'm not listening to it tonight. Play the game and don't run your mouth. If you do, your getting a T. Then, of course, I follow up with T.

I'm finding that as players get to know me (and that I don't want to hear their griping and complaining), I have less problems. I should mention that I also get legitimate questions too...and I answer those without the T.
Old Mon Apr 10, 2006, 06:44pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Maybe the referee was used to FIBA rules where teasm only have 8 seconds to cross the halfway?

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee