View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 05, 2006, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

I am pretty new at officiating. I still work adult, men's, rec-league games. I can definitely understand why people refuse to do them. I almost came to that same decision during my first night of rec league play this year!

However, I see a positive side to it for me. The games offer me a chance to see plays and scenarios that I do not see in junior high or JV girls or boys. They are more physical than DIII women's ball. Although many players have minimal talent, some players are good and once in awhile you see a guy who played D1 or overseas. I have a lot to learn, so I use it to work on positioning and mechanics and just making the right call.

That being said, I have a very, very, low tolerance for any nonsense. For a variety of reasons, many players seem to think it is okay to shout out curse words or question nearly every call. If an action warrants a T immediately I give it. i.e. a player shouts out the F bomb. No brainer for me - I whack him. If some one is annoying me by questioning calls (and this usually happens right away, if it's going to be a problem), I say loudly enough for all to hear that I'm not listening to it tonight. Play the game and don't run your mouth. If you do, your getting a T. Then, of course, I follow up with T.

I'm finding that as players get to know me (and that I don't want to hear their griping and complaining), I have less problems. I should mention that I also get legitimate questions too...and I answer those without the T.