View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 03, 2006, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Some Questions.....

Hi all,

With the high school season now over, most of us are off to do our various other leagues/tournaments/etc. Some questions for all of you....

ONE - I was working an adult league that I also play in. The players are called to ref so I was working the game with inexperienced guys one night and one of them called (**UGH**) an EIGHT second violation in the backcourt.

Fortunately, I heard him and corrected the situation. HOWEVER, I had a thought after the game: Should the offensive team had the 10 count "reset" or should they only have 2 seconds left to advance?

While this specific scenario (8 seconds) should not happen, I am thinking "inadvertant" whistles DO OCCUR. My best guess is that the offensive team should retain the ball in the backcourt but only have 2 seconds left to advance since it was the officials mistake.

TWO - Same League, different problem. The league is a church league with no "coaches", just player who are captains. I didn't mention above that I don't get "paid" to ref these games. My tolerance for crap is fairly low in this league.

However, to be fair, I decided that if any players were giving me lip, I would talk to the team captain and give them a warning. That seemed like a good idea. Ah, the big catch.....the captain could possibly control the players on the floor but not the ones on the bench. So, the same night as above, I warned a team captain for one of his players yapping too much (ending T'ing the said player later anyway). Later in the game, while the captain was playing, another player on the bench openly questioned why I didn't make a traveling call since I was just a few steps away from the bench.

I looked at the player, thought about it for a second and decided to pass on T'ing the player on the bench. However, i was wondering how other officials handle these situations in other adult leagues such as this?

I thought I had one more scenario, but I can't quite remember at the time. I'll write again if it comes to mind.