The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 24, 2006, 12:22pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy voyager
But you're allowed to move unless it's forward (And I'm quite certain the defender didn't move forward), so why the block?
Yes, the defender is allowed to move sideways to maintain LGP. There also is no provision that the guard must be standing still on contact; just that the defender is still maintaining a LGP. At that point, it now depends on where the contact occurs. If it occurs on the torso of the defender, then you would normally call a charge. If the defender moves out of his normal upright plane just before the contact, so that the contact occurs on a outstretched arm or a leg or shoulder stuck out instead of directly on the torso of the defender, you have a block. I think that was the point that CanuckRef was trying to make previously when he was talking about moving sideways- i.e. a defender leaning sideways just before the contact
Old Fri Mar 24, 2006, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICK
The contact was on the shoulder not the torso of the defender, therefore to me LGP was not established. I do not see any differences between Fiba rule fouls, Nba fouls, nor Ncaa fouls. You'll either get it right or get it wrong.
What does the contact have to do with establishing an LGP?
Old Fri Mar 24, 2006, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
The defender has to establish LGP BEFORE the contact or it's a block. The first time I watched it I said "block". Then I watched it again - guess what - I still say "block". When you slow it down and pause it, the defender is still moving his right foot across as contact is being made. While most B/C calls are tough - I didn't think this one was all that close. The contact is also made on the left shoulder rather than the torso. I personally cannot see anyway to call it a charge. No way he travelled either, not even close on that (IMHO).

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Fri Mar 24, 2006, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Everyone seems to be making a big deal out of LGP, how does the guard not have a LGP?!
Old Fri Mar 24, 2006, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
No way he travelled either, not even close on that (IMHO).
How is it not "even close". His pivot foot is either on the ground or 1 inch off the ground when he gathers the ball. If you don't think so then that's your opinion but it is definitely close to being a travel.
Old Sat Mar 25, 2006, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Heart
How is it not "even close". His pivot foot is either on the ground or 1 inch off the ground when he gathers the ball. If you don't think so then that's your opinion but it is definitely close to being a travel.
If you notice I said "IMHO" - however after watching it again - I take that back. No way it's close to a walk. Yes, one foot is off the ground as he gathers the ball. By rule (4.44.2.a.2) that foot becomes the pivot foot when it touches. He can lift his pivot foot to pass or shoot. That foot does not return to the floor until after the crash. Not even close to a walk.

Not trying to be cocky or mean or anything - just stating my view of the rules. I don't think any upper level official would even consider calling that a walk when viewing that in RT. It's fun when we have video to watch and slow down and pick apart. This dude had to get it right in RT and I think he did. So did the vast majority of this post.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Sat Mar 25, 2006, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

Once legal guarding position is established, the defender can move backwards or laterally to maintain it.
Old Sun Mar 26, 2006, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If you notice I said "IMHO" - however after watching it again - I take that back. No way it's close to a walk. Yes, one foot is off the ground as he gathers the ball. By rule (4.44.2.a.2) that foot becomes the pivot foot when it touches. He can lift his pivot foot to pass or shoot. That foot does not return to the floor until after the crash. Not even close to a walk.
This is your opinion and I respect it.

Quote:
Not trying to be cocky or mean or anything - just stating my view of the rules. I don't think any upper level official would even consider calling that a walk when viewing that in RT. It's fun when we have video to watch and slow down and pick apart. This dude had to get it right in RT and I think he did. So did the vast majority of this post.
If you don't think the player traveled by rule then I would hope that an upper level or lower level official would not call it. But for arguments sake lets say that the player gathered the dribble with the left foot on the ground. Would you call this a travel? This type of travel happens all the time and is not called, do you dispute this? Again I don't call this travel (even though I see it all the time) because I would be one of the few officials calling it. Another travel that is hardly ever called is the spin move that post players use. A post player has the ball with the left foot as the pivot. The player spins on the right foot and brings the left foot back around. This is a travel and is hardly ever called. It has become accepted as a basketball move. I'm not saying this is right or wrong, I'm just pointing out the rule.
Old Sun Mar 26, 2006, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fonzzy07
Any other sites like this out their?