The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 14, 2001, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Question

What if #2: R1 at 2nd and R2 at 1st, B3 hits deep fly ball to center field R2 takes off, R1 stays at 2nd to tag-up as R2 is approaching 2nd he sees R1 has not advanced so instead of turning at 2nd to not overrun R1, R2 runs through 2nd and towards the outfield so he would not physically pass R1?

You make the call

Don
Old Sun Jul 15, 2001, 02:17am
Official Forum Member

Since R1 never left 2B, when R2 crossed the bag he has, for all intents and purposes, passed the base and also R1. R2 is out. R1 should be chewed out for not going part way toward 3B, and R1 should be taught how to properly run the bases.

Bob
Old Sun Jul 15, 2001, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

If R1 was not in contact with 2B, or R2 stopped at 2B, there is no call (yet). In this scenario, R2 is taking a seat, and probably a very hot one d:-)

Old Sun Jul 15, 2001, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Tricky one.......but I will have to go with Mike and Bob if R1 was still touching the base.........PDR rule in effect.

I also agree with Mike that R2 will be in a whole lotta trouble..........grin

Joel
Old Sun Jul 15, 2001, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Cool

Mike brought up an interesting point that I was kinda trying to get into on this question so lets change this up a little

R1 instead of holding on 2nd is about 3' off the base waiting for the ball to be caught or not when R2 reaches 2nd and runs through and towards the outfield instead of making the turn. Now say R2 runs 10' pass 2nd towards the outfield he has not physically passed R1 or is he closer to 3rd than R1 but he is further pass 2nd than R1. What's the call?

Don
Old Sun Jul 15, 2001, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

If R2 runs straight toward LF, I'd say he hasn't passed R1, and is not closer to 3B. It's a nothing at this point.

Bob