The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   you make the call video (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/25668-you-make-call-video.html)

oc Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:07pm

you make the call video

About a year ago there was a thread up that had a link to different plays on video. Does anyone remember the link to that? I have to lead an association meeting in few weeks and want to use it.

(I tried the search but can't find it.)

Nevadaref Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:10pm

tomegun posted a few of those. Search for posts by him or send him a PM and inquire.

canuckrefguy Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:41pm

http://thomass2004.home.comcast.net/

Rich Thu Mar 23, 2006 09:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by canuckrefguy

Thanks. I enjoyed these. Heckuva call on the block/charge, too, IMO.

crazy voyager Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:33am

Charge for me (but I had the video, the ref hadn't), he runs straight on the defender who moves sideways (allowed to maintain garding position)

Charge for me

Kostja Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:53am

I think so, too. For me it was a charge. The defender didn't move after the offensive player took off. The contact was right on the torso, which means the defender got to that position first!

Anyway, the way he sold it was a bit too much for me. From my point of view a repeated motion (did he make the signal three times?) like that is like yelling when I don't have any valid arguments left.

What do you think???

Jimgolf Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:51am

Where does the defender establish LGP? Block.

BTW, the defender looks like he took a dive. The offensive player is moving diagonally, but the defender "rebounds" perpendicular to the baseline. Plus, you can see the defender hunching his shoulder prior to launching himself backwards.

jritchie Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:41pm

that is nice foot work in the first one.. :) a lot would never see it!!!

i got a block, heck of a call!!!!

the rebound you could almost have an intentional or technical...

call the double foul and give them both 2 pts for take down...

Rich Thu Mar 23, 2006 01:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazy voyager
Charge for me (but I had the video, the ref hadn't), he runs straight on the defender who moves sideways (allowed to maintain garding position)

Charge for me

He never HAD legal guarding position.

tjones1 Thu Mar 23, 2006 01:29pm

I've got a block. One thing is for sure, no one can complain about whether the official selled the call or not. Nice job!

Rich Thu Mar 23, 2006 01:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kostja
I think so, too. For me it was a charge. The defender didn't move after the offensive player took off. The contact was right on the torso, which means the defender got to that position first!

Anyway, the way he sold it was a bit too much for me. From my point of view a repeated motion (did he make the signal three times?) like that is like yelling when I don't have any valid arguments left.

What do you think???

Appropriate sell for that particular call, IMO. I had a similar one this season in a BV game with about 20 seconds left and I think I banged the hips about three times (and then counted the basket).

refTN Thu Mar 23, 2006 02:19pm

I have a block as well. Many might not agree with this but I was taught that if the defender is not perpendicular to the offensive players path then that is just one reason for having a block.

Kostja Thu Mar 23, 2006 07:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimgolf
Where does the defender establish LGP? Block.

He is facing his opponent, and he has both feet on the floor. No time and distance shall be required, right? That way he establishes a legal guarding position, doesn't he?

Thought about selling the call. The call could have gone both ways, as we learn from our discussion ;) Therefore, no matter which way it goes, the official has to sell it with authority. Still, I wouldn't repeatedly bang the hips. I'd rather do it once (but so that it would hurt a bit), then just stay there for a second with my fist in the air before going to the table.

canuckrefguy Thu Mar 23, 2006 07:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazy voyager
Charge for me....he runs straight on the defender who moves sideways (allowed to maintain garding position)

Charge for me

Huh? :confused:

Since when is a defender allowed to move sideways?

Whenever you have block/charge, ask yourself "what did the defender do wrong?" - after all, you are supposed to be reffing the defense. If your answer is "nothing", call charge. If your answer contains the words "moves sideways", it's a block.

Having said all this, I think this is one of those calls where you could probably call charge and never get any heat for it. It'd be the wrong call, but you could get away with it.

mj Thu Mar 23, 2006 07:53pm

I got a block.