The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 17, 2001, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

R3 on third. BR bunts down the thrid base line as R3 heads towards home. 3-year-old-devious-aficionado Johnny, near the thrid baseline, rolls a game ball that he has right next to the bunted ball. The pitcher picks up one of the two balls that is on the ground to tag out R3. What call would you make if:

1) The ball that F1 picked up was the ball that Johnny threw on the field.

2) The ball that F1 picked up could not convincingly be identified as either Johnny's ball or the official game ball.

3) The ball that F1 picked up was the game ball but the offensive coach protests the out because Johnny threw his ball on the field?

Greg
Old Thu May 17, 2001, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

Smile What call would you make

Was the ball thrown on the field by the defense, or the offense??? If the ball was thrown by the defense, award R3 home and the BR first for the interference; eject the culprit from the confines. If the ball was thrown by the offense, call R3 out, and have the BR return as the next batter; eject the culprit from the confines!!!!!
Old Thu May 17, 2001, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Re: What call would you make

Quote:
Originally posted by GeeBee
Was the ball thrown on the field by the defense, or the offense??? If the ball was thrown by the defense, award R3 home and the BR first for the interference; eject the culprit from the confines. If the ball was thrown by the offense, call R3 out, and have the BR return as the next batter; eject the culprit from the confines!!!!!
The ball was thrown by a little kid watching the game.
Old Fri May 18, 2001, 07:09am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: What call would you make

Quote:
Originally posted by Gre144

The ball was thrown by a little kid watching the game.
Then treat it as spectator interference 2-21-3.

I'm sure you can figure out what to do from there.
Old Fri May 18, 2001, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

I've read all of the references to spectator interference and they all seem to be a spectator touching the ball or interfering with a fielder. I think I would call the runner out in any case, since it was an unintentional confusion, and the balls were very close together. I think the best course is to make the call to nullify the interference. In this case, the interference was confusion, the catcher obviously was able to make the out. That's the most likely outcome without the interference.

What would be really interesting is if the pitcher picked up 1 ball and threw to first and the catcher picked up the other ball and tagged runner from 3rd, and you couldn't figure out which ball was which

Old Fri May 18, 2001, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by joemoore
I've read all of the references to spectator interference and they all seem to be a spectator touching the ball or interfering with a fielder.
Sure -- because that's the usual situation. But, the definition is "an act by a spectator which [sic] impedes the progress of the game." Don't you think that applies here?

(And, I don't want any discussion about how little Johnny was only three years old, and wasn't really watching the game, so he shouldn't be considered a "spectator.")
Old Fri May 18, 2001, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

The other thing I've learned over the years about Little Johnny, don't say anything to him. He's likely going to respond with an obscenity!!!! ;-)

Steve
Old Fri May 18, 2001, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by joemoore
I've read all of the references to spectator interference and they all seem to be a spectator touching the ball or interfering with a fielder. I think I would call the runner out in any case, since it was an unintentional confusion, and the balls were very close together. I think the best course is to make the call to nullify the interference. In this case, the interference was confusion, the catcher obviously was able to make the out. That's the most likely outcome without the interference.

What would be really interesting is if the pitcher picked up 1 ball and threw to first and the catcher picked up the other ball and tagged runner from 3rd, and you couldn't figure out which ball was which

Does anyone have an answer to Joe's comments?
Old Fri May 18, 2001, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Sure, I'll answer Joe...

Call them both out, eject the visiting coach, hit the mascot with a bat and go home declaring a triple forfeit!!!

J/K!

IMHO call R3 out, and award the BR 1st. Dunno, but I'd be working on something witty to say when the coach decided to come out.

Will
Old Fri May 18, 2001, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Talking One Potato Two Potato

The answer to this one is the same as the answer that was derived at in the famous Minor League Potato Game.

I don't remember what they did.. but whatever it was, use that. Clear enough, eh?

(Did I spell Potato correctly?)

Love, Dan Quayle.
aka Mike B
Founder, Editor
EWS Monthly Gazette