Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 19, 2006, 06:21pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
If the L is still in the backcourt, as the original post said, then the ball had better still be below the back FT line. That's very unlikely 5 seconds into a 10 second count. The lead moves up court on a press as the ball moves up the court.
I disagree 110%.

The L should move back as far as the players dicate. Period.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with the L being just below the division line as the original play was written.

I disagree 120%

The L should move back as the ball dictates. Period.

The original play doesn't say exactly where the ball was. If the ball is still within 15 feet of the end line, I don't have a problem with the lead being just inside center. If the ball is coming out past the FT line extended though, the L should be moving his butt back with the ball. You can still get a good view on your area of responsiblity and the other players off-ball.

What's your take on the L getting such a great look on an OOB save on the far side of the court on this play, Slappy? You down with that too?
Old Sun Feb 19, 2006, 06:29pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Badger05
[/B]
If there are no players in the frontcourt during the press situation, then the lead should be positioned to officiate the PLAYERS ON THE FLOOR.

Backcourt officiating during a press is difficult at best and the trail official in that situation is presented with more straight-line looks than anywhere else on the floor. As you probabally know the press situation in a two man often requires alot of help from the lead official. Cover your area as a lead in that situation, but be aware of the trail being straight-lined and totally losing his look at the action on ball.

[/B][/QUOTE]Now you got me confused. Are you saying that the L should watch the players on the floor and the on-ball action?

If so, you don't need a trail.
Old Sun Feb 19, 2006, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
If the L is still in the backcourt, as the original post said, then the ball had better still be below the back FT line. That's very unlikely 5 seconds into a 10 second count. The lead moves up court on a press as the ball moves up the court.
I disagree 110%.

The L should move back as far as the players dicate. Period.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with the L being just below the division line as the original play was written.

I disagree 120%

The L should move back as the ball dictates. Period.
You know this is 130% wrong. Period.

If the ball is at the FT line in the BC & 6 players are at the FT line in the FC where should the L be again?
Quote:

The original play doesn't say exactly where the ball was. If the ball is still within 15 feet of the end line, I don't have a problem with the lead being just inside center. If the ball is coming out past the FT line extended though, the L should be moving his butt back with the ball. You can still get a good view on your area of responsiblity and the other players off-ball.

What's your take on the L getting such a great look on an OOB save on the far side of the court on this play, Slappy? You down with that too?
I'm not sure what you're talking about here.

The L doesn't have the other sideline.

If you mean the FC endline then if the L's positioned with the players he'll see who touched the ball last before it goes OOB. If someone put of his area touched it last his partner can help.

Not sure why this is hard to understand...trick question maybe?
Old Sun Feb 19, 2006, 07:07pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

[/B]
I'm not sure what you're talking about here.

The L doesn't have the other sideline.

If you mean the FC endline then if the L's positioned with the players he'll see who touched the ball last before it goes OOB. If someone put of his area touched it last his partner can help.

Not sure why this is hard to understand...trick question maybe? [/B][/QUOTE]Nope, it's not a trick question.

In the original post of this thread, the L is second-guessing the T as to whether there was possession vs. a tapback by a player saving a ball from going OOB. Now..... if the play came across court towards the L and the OOB save was on his sideline, I can see the L having a view on that play and being able to offer an opinion whether the save was made with player control or not. However.... if the play was on the other side of the court.....50 feet across the court in front of the T.....and the OOB save was on that FAR sideline, do you agree with the L getting such a great look at the play that he can second-guess his partner's judgment whether the savee had player control or not? Should he be seeing that save over there at all?

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Feb 19th, 2006 at 07:10 PM]
Old Sun Feb 19, 2006, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Could somebody please draw me a nice picture?
Old Sun Feb 19, 2006, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

[/B]
Now you got me confused. Are you saying that the L should watch the players on the floor and the on-ball action?

If so, you don't need a trail. [/B][/QUOTE]

No, I am not suggesting one-man officiating. I was simply stating that the reason the lead works the press from the division line is to help out the trail official. I definitely believe that the lead needs to be AWARE of the location of the ball and needs to be AWARE whether or not the trail official needs help (straight-lined). This does not mean that the lead needs to be totally focused on the ball and the players in his area. This can be acheived via short glances or even peripheral vision. I was simply pointing out that the trail has a tough time maintaining a good visual angle in a press situation (we've all been there) and sometimes temporarily loses sight of the ball in a situation where there is alot of action focused on the ball. If the ball is on the lead side of the possesion players' body and the trail is obviously straight-lined, help him out until the ball status changes or he gets into better position. We are not talking about a great deal of time here.

Are you saying that you never help your trail official out in a press situation?
(see, now that comment was totally un-necessary on my part, kind of like your last comment in your post. It is truly amazing what a little anonymity will do to a guy. In fact the negativisim by the poster I originally responded to is the only reason I ever posted in the first place. It would be nice if these boards could actually be a place to get some good info that would help people become better officials. If I were a first year guy, and read this thread, I would be too intimidated to post a situation in an attempt to get some feedback that might actually help. Try to dial it down a notch boys and girls, and that includes me.)

Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 06:40am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Now you got me confused. Are you saying that the L should watch the players on the floor and the on-ball action?

If so, you don't need a trail. [/B]
This does not mean that the lead needs to be totally focused on the ball and the players in his area. This can be acheived via short glances or even peripheral vision. I was simply pointing out that the trail has a tough time maintaining a good visual angle in a press situation (we've all been there) and sometimes temporarily loses sight of the ball in a situation where there is alot of action focused on the ball. If the ball is on the lead side of the possesion players' body and the trail is obviously straight-lined, help him out until the ball status changes or he gets into better position.

Are you saying that you never help your trail official out in a press situation?
[/B][/QUOTE]Actually, that's a good comment and a fair question. The answer depends on what you call "helping your partner out".

The L is back there around center someplace to help his partner out on a press. But.... I'm saying that the L has his own responsibilities on the press. And imo those responsibilities don't include watching the ball on the other side of the court- which you seem to be advocating. If the L is watching a save that occurs on the OOB side of the far sideline on the other side of the court- and he's watching that save close enough, using a short glance or peripheral vision, to make a completely accurate and 100% sure judgment that player control was established on the save, well, what does he need the trail for? He's obviously got everything under control all by himself.

Please note that "imo" above. Iow, we just disagree. No need for you to to get upset because of that.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Quote:

Actually, that's a good comment and a fair question. The answer depends on what you call "helping your partner out".

The L is back there around center someplace to help his partner out on a press. But.... I'm saying that the L has his own responsibilities on the press. And imo those responsibilities don't include watching the ball on the other side of the court- which you seem to be advocating. If the L is watching a save that occurs on the OOB side of the far sideline on the other side of the court- and he's watching that save close enough, using a short glance or peripheral vision, to make a completely accurate and 100% sure judgment that player control was established on the save, well, what does he need the trail for? He's obviously got everything under control all by himself.

Please note that "imo" above. Iow, we just disagree. No need for you to to get upset because of that.

In the situation I originally posted, the competition that caused the interrupted dribble and the save occurred at BC FT line extended and OF COURSE was on my line. the majority of the players were in backcourt. The discussion of Lead positioning on press was interesting and spirited but didn't mention the athleticism of the competitors as a factor. The facts of athleticism are such that lead can recover from three feet on the BC side of the division line on a long baseball pass from the BC FT line thrown by a JV girl. (Please no firestorm of sexist criticism). I was comfortable where I was. A page ago, a veteran poster or two said that the 10 second violation should be negated and ball awarded back to A because of the definite change of possession that Trail was unable to see. I don't see that reversal supported by rule but if such a reversal is ok does A get a new ten second count on the subsequent throw in?
Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 10:13am
Get away from me, Steve.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by missinglink
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Actually, that's a good comment and a fair question. The answer depends on what you call "helping your partner out".

In the situation I originally posted, the competition that caused the interrupted dribble and the save occurred at BC FT line extended and OF COURSE was on my line. the majority of the players were in backcourt. The discussion of Lead positioning on press was interesting and spirited but didn't mention the athleticism of the competitors as a factor. The facts of athleticism are such that lead can recover from three feet on the BC side of the division line on a long baseball pass from the BC FT line thrown by a JV girl. (Please no firestorm of sexist criticism). I was comfortable where I was. A page ago, a veteran poster or two said that the 10 second violation should be negated and ball awarded back to A because of the definite change of possession that Trail was unable to see. I don't see that reversal supported by rule but if such a reversal is ok does A get a new ten second count on the subsequent throw in?
I just read through this thread for the first time and was wondering "when did the OP say that the ball went out on the sideline opposite?"

Since the ball went out on the OP's sideline, he needs to step up and provide additional information to the trail. Even if the OP was at the far free-throw line, he can see possession of B and the throw back onto the court.

Too many people act as if they simply "can't see" anything out of their primary area, when I know that it simply isn't the case. We have peripheral vision, after all. In 2-person in a press situation, the L has to be prepared to help out. Period. Don't call something right in the face of the trail, of course, but this post isn't anything like that.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 11:02am
In Memoriam

Quote:
[/B]
[/B][/QUOTE]
If the L is still in the backcourt, as the original post said, then the ball had better still be below the back FT line. That's very unlikely 5 seconds into a 10 second count. The lead moves up court on a press as the ball moves up the court. The lead isn't supposed to be ball-watching either. Even on a double-team of a dribbler, there's 7 other players out there for the lead to keep an eye on. If the play happened on the L's sideline, maybe the L can help out. If it happened on the T's sideline though, especially if it's below the FT line extended, which is the way that it should be if the L is still in the backcourt, then the trail has the call all the way. And the L shouldn't be watching across the floor and deep to second-guess that call either.

[/B][/QUOTE]Fyi, missinglink and Rich.....

To stop any confusion, here's my original post above. Note the statement "If the play happened on the L's sideline, maybe the L can help out". Any statements that I have made since then related ONLY to a save occuring on the opposite side line.

It seems that both of you might have missed this.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
[/B]
If the L is still in the backcourt, as the original post said, then the ball had better still be below the back FT line. That's very unlikely 5 seconds into a 10 second count. The lead moves up court on a press as the ball moves up the court. The lead isn't supposed to be ball-watching either. Even on a double-team of a dribbler, there's 7 other players out there for the lead to keep an eye on. If the play happened on the L's sideline, maybe the L can help out. If it happened on the T's sideline though, especially if it's below the FT line extended, which is the way that it should be if the L is still in the backcourt, then the trail has the call all the way. And the L shouldn't be watching across the floor and deep to second-guess that call either.

[/B][/QUOTE]Fyi, missinglink and Rich.....

To stop any confusion, here's my original post above. Note the statement "If the play happened on the L's sideline, maybe the L can help out". Any statements that I have made since then related ONLY to a save occuring on the opposite side line.

It seems that both of you might have missed this. [/B][/QUOTE]

And all this time I thought we were arguing about where the L should be standing.

:shrug:

Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 12:45pm
In Memoriam

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

And all this time I thought we were arguing about where the L should be standing.

[/B]
Well, that too.....

Now that we know where the ball was...i.e.- at the back court FT line extended on the L's side, as per missinglink, we now know:
1) The ball was about 19 feet from the end line and the play is still the T's responsibility.
2) The T probably came across the court to follow the play...so if he came half-way and was straight-lined as suggested, he would be about 25 feet from the save.
3) The L was inside the center line. The center line is 42 feet from the end line. Therefore, if the lead was a step inside center-- i.e. say about 3 feet-- the L would be 39'-19'= 20 feet from the save.

By golly, the L is closer to this play than the trail.

Now....some might say that's too close......

What say you, DanO? Do you get that close to help out on a press when the play is coming to you?

PS- to whom it may concern- The DanO was used because (a) it pisses Dan off, and (b) it is getting late in the day and I haven't pissed Dan off today yet. As far as I know. I think.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 01:11pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

12:45pm is late in the day?

Uh-oh!
Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
As lead in the play described, it would have to be on my sideline near the division line for me to even consider interfering. And then, I'd have to be 110% sure.

"Never?" That's pretty strong,
My point, with which Dan and JR are having plenty of fun, is that if you wait to be 110% sure of the call, then you will never make the call; b/c it's impossible to be 110% sure. It's hyperbole and silly. Just say you're sure.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
One long pass to who?
"To whom", young grasshopper badger.

Welcome to the forum, from your friendly neighborhood Mr. Annoying Grammar Guy.