The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 02:27pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by Texas Aggie
If you are having foot issues of any kind, you need to get yourself custom insoles for your shoes, depending on your foot. Read up on pronation factor and figure out what you are, then 1) look for the best shoes you can find (which is difficult since they have to be black) and 2) get a pair of insoles for them.

I need max cushioning as I underpronate and have a very high arch. I wear Sof Soles arch support in my Reeboks, but I think I'll go to the New Balance 895 soon. I might see if Brooks can custom "paint" me one of their running shoes in black.
I disagree - if you are saying what I think - about using orthodics. They may work for some but they are all hard to some degree. I'm all for whatever works for you and keeping the feet feeling good.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

>>are all hard to some degree<<

What in the world are you talking about?

Go to a running store (or, I think even Sports Authority sells them now) and look at "Sof Sole" brand insoles. Report back to me how "hard" the ones that are designed as cushioning soles are.

Now, if your foot needs a motion control shoe, you do not want to purchase the same insole I use, as its cushioning will be too much. Likewise, I don't want to purchase a motion control insert as it will likely be too hard. Remember, that there are different kinds of feet and also different insoles.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Orthotics are hard.

Insoles are soft.

I've never found the soft insoles to be of much good, especially for plantar fasciitis.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Feb 13th, 2006 at 02:51 PM]

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 03:56pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by Texas Aggie
>>are all hard to some degree<<

What in the world are you talking about?

Go to a running store (or, I think even Sports Authority sells them now) and look at "Sof Sole" brand insoles. Report back to me how "hard" the ones that are designed as cushioning soles are.

Now, if your foot needs a motion control shoe, you do not want to purchase the same insole I use, as its cushioning will be too much. Likewise, I don't want to purchase a motion control insert as it will likely be too hard. Remember, that there are different kinds of feet and also different insoles.
Nothing like quoting, not even really quoting, me and taking it totally out of context! You used the term "custom insoles" or "custom inserts" and I gave you the benefit of the doubt; the sentence before you "copy-and-pasted" mentioned orthodics. Now I will not give you the benefit of the doubt - tell me what brand of "custom" insoles/inserts you are referring to smart guy? I know of only one off hand and sof-sole ain't it! How can something be custom that you go out and buy in a package? Now orthodics (thanks Tony), which I thought you were referring to, can be custom and are HARD. I'm not going to say it must be nice, but I can only imagine it is easier to have over-pronation as opposed to under-pronation. I was just trying to share some things I've learned through many years of pain and also endorse what Bktballref said about Spencos, since I discovered how good they are this season. Sorry for trying so share, I w i l l s p e a k s l o w e r n e x t t i m e ! !
Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

The word, custom, was used to note an insole that isn't sold as part of a shoe. If that was unclear in my first post, that's reasonable. After my second post, it shouldn't have been unclear in the least.

I'm not really interested in what you know about so-called brands, but Sof-Sole IS a brand of what I refer to as custom insoles. The reason I call them that is not to assert they are made specific to one individual, but rather are a product made to switch out part of a shoe and they come in different flavors for different foot types. If you are uncomfortable with that word, custom, being used to describe what I'm talking about, that's fine. But the context of what I wrote wasn't tough to figure out. If you had a tough time with it, I apologize.

Further, the word is "orthotics", not "orthodics," which is a pretty silly error for someone harping on someone else for being a little less than precise (not to mention someone who's holding themselves out as an authority on the subject). Besides, this is a generic term and is used to broadly describe the insoles I'm speaking of. You can do a google search that I have linked and find the term used with the specific brand I recommend.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...cs&btnG=Search

There's nothing I wrote that took you out of contex. You are assuming a word means something more specific than what it really means.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 07:50pm
Huck Finn

You got me on the spelling, what can I say; when I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

Here is the definition of custom: made or done to order for a particular customer. It is pretty silly for you to emphasize use of the word in the wrong way! You mention what YOU call them and how YOU refer to them, but those of us who speak English and spell Orthotics correctly do not consider a "off the shelf" insole custom.

I don't think there is anything custom about going out to the Sport's Authority or Dick's and getting an insert. This will be good to hear (read); you made a good point and I lead off admitting it, we will see what you do. I can't really take you out of context when you use a term the wrong way and then emphasize using it the wrong way. You can take me out of context when I said, in the previous sentence, that I thought your comments referred to a custom orthotic , since there aren't custom inserts/insoles - at least the ones you mentioned aren't custom. Anyway, I thought we - that need them - were talking about foot pain, taping feet and Spenco. By the way, if you think sof-sole (which I have) is good, you should go buy you some Spencos immediately if you don't already have them. The two don't compare. IMO.

How was that Mr. "report back to me?"

[Edited by tomegun on Feb 13th, 2006 at 07:58 PM]
Old Tue Feb 14, 2006, 01:10am
Official Forum Member

I stand by what I said. Custom is also defined as "made to order." That didn't specify one person. While there are exceptions, most people's feet fit into one of a few categories. A "made to order" insole could fit one type even if hundreds of thousand of people could use that same type. Incidentally, the insoles I'm familiar with come in sizes to fit a couple of shoe sizes, which means they can and likely should be cut to fit. That should satisfy your definitional fetish here.

It would have been a lot more helpful, after my second post to then post your statement of "you should go buy you some Spencos immediately." But, whatever.

I will check them out.
Old Tue Feb 14, 2006, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Is there a taping method for a sore jaw from eating too much popcorn while reading these threads?

Tom, when do you use the taping method? If the Spenco and Sof-soles work, why would you need to tape as well? Or is the taping for those extra-heavy weeks when you've got games every night? I got a pair of the Powerstep inserts (hard) from a local running store, and they seem to keep my feet comfortable during the day. But the one time I tried them in my referee shoes I had to get them outta there by halftime - they were way too hard. I did find when I changed shoe brands, I was more comfortable when I put my old shoe's inserts in my new shoes.

Maybe I just need to get through this week, and I can spend more time watching basketball from the recliner. (Honest, honey - I can't take out the garbage because the doctor said I need to stay off my feet and ice them down with this cold beer can...)

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Feb 15, 2006, 07:18am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
Tom, when do you use the taping method? If the Spenco and Sof-soles work, why would you need to tape as well?
I do it because Plantar Faciitis is a funny thing. The tape gives my feet the support similar to an orthotic. The Spenco insert gives better cushioning than the insole that comes with the shoe and has a soft arch support that helps the arch problem also. This thing is a day-to-day problem and is very finicky; last night my left foot was hurting, around the ball of my foot, and I don't know why. Maybe it was because I rested for 2 days! I have two intramural games on base and I'm going to wear some different shoes. I will see how it goes.