The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimgolf
Personally, I think saying "Wow" should never be an unsportsmanlike technical, but the assistant coach standing and yelling anything other than "Nice play," should be.

I mean, "Wow"? It's only a 3-letter word, guys.
It's not the word, it's the attitude.
Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Continued Update

Just to let you folks are up to speed. I did speak to the team last night and did apologize again. My points of emphasis were:

1) I did not know the rules (head coach only speaks to officials, asst. coach can't stand except to applaud and you can't stand after a T.)
2) The T that was originally given was due to actions prior to the last statement.
3) Although in my opinion the official was quick in the second T, he was applying the rules as written.
4) Now my actions put the head coach in a heck of a predicament the rest of game. He couldn't stand to speak to the officials and taken literally, maybe not at all.

The difficulty for me is that almost half the team was ill last night so I will need to bring this up again to those girls at the next opportunity. I have ordered a set of rules and case book from the state, and will read them ASAP. I called the head of the Y Sports to speak to him about it. He had arrived at the venue 20 minutes after our game. His exact quote "..that was you. Never would have guessed it." He also said that the two officials were father and son, and although he gave me two Ts the father is usually the reserved one.

I will still speak to them before the game, and informed them with what I have learned. Like, Iowa State fans forget about recent games with Kansas and remember only wins over Nebraska. Its got to hurt the Northern Iowa is higher ranked. Let's all tip back a Natural Light and toast the Panthers.

Thanks to all.
Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with Junker, I don't put up with any crap at rec ball levels. At HS level I will do my best not to give a T if I can avoid it yet still resolve the situation.
Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

The Y should order rule books for all of the coaches. I am sure they charge you enough to play in the league. Might be enough money to buy one for each player (parent).
Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dave30
Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
Quote:
Originally posted by Jimgolf
Personally, I think saying "Wow" should never be an unsportsmanlike technical, but the assistant coach standing and yelling anything other than "Nice play," should be.

I mean, "Wow"? It's only a 3-letter word, guys.
It's not the word, it's the attitude.
Very true, if the coach is laughing at the referee and saying WOW, he is showing up the official in front of the kids and fans. A T is warranted, especially in Y-ball.
Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

I really do appreciate the comments that you all have given. The head coach and I have talked about what happened, and we both feel that whatever came out of our mouths next was going to cause a T to be called. I truly can't even recall why "WOW" came out of my mouth. To be honest, the other team had a player with great skill and I found myself many times remarking about her play. I know that it wasn't said with an attitude, and I wasn't looking at him. BUT, we deserved one earlier. That being said, I am still a little dumbfounded about the second T. He got his point across with the first.

Some additional items that I found out this evening. The week previous to this, these same two officials had to clear out half the stands because of the behavior of some of the fans. I imagine that, plus my conduct put this guy over the edge. He probably didn't want a repeat of what happened the previous week. He didn't mention it after the fact, but it may have been on his mind.

We will turn this into a positive. Thanks again.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 01:45am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by Junker
Not bitter at all after we just rolled the Huskers down there a couple of weeks ago. I'm just bitter I don't get to see Snaqwells during the season anymore.
I appreciate that. It looks like this season is turning out to be a sabbatical from officiating. We're just now getting settled with the move, and I haven't had a chance to call the association here in Grand Junction. I'll probably give him a call this week and touch base, get a feel for whether it would be worth joining this late in the year.

One of my only regrets this year, with the move out here, is the step back I'm taking with officiating. That and I'm just getting fatter without the exercise.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Husker John,
First off, nice job with the Natty Light comment! Well done! I agree that the Panthers may be the best team in the state at the moment. Secondly, I'm very impressed with the way you handled this. We all wish that more coaches would act like you, especially taking responsiblity for your actions. That is excellent modeling for you players. Keep up the good work. Also, great idea on getting the rules books. As long as you're at it, why not work some games? There's more to the job than just knowing the rules. It's obvious that you enjoy the game and agree that sportsmanship is extremely important. Sounds like an official to me.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Me an official? I did some through the YMCA, and a church league while in college, 20+ years ago. Not sure if there is time now with two kids very active in numerous sports. I have considered it for football in the past, and may consider it for bball in the future.

Thanks for the encouragement. I had to explain the natty light comment to my wife. She said its that kind of remark that gets me in trouble with officials in the first place. Creighton wins last night (2 over UNI) not bad for a team that lost a preseason all-american at the beginning of the season, and NE wins at Okie State moves ahead of IA State in the Big 12. All is well in Huskerland.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

So Nebraska is now a basketball state?
Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Might as well be now that they are no longer a football state.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Husker John

Thanks for the encouragement. I had to explain the natty light comment to my wife. She said its that kind of remark that gets me in trouble with officials in the first place. Creighton wins last night (2 over UNI) not bad for a team that lost a preseason all-american at the beginning of the season, and NE wins at Okie State moves ahead of IA State in the Big 12. All is well in Huskerland.
Go 'Clones! State beat Iowa, UNI, and Drake - that would make them the best team in the state.

Speaking of embarrassing ISU personalities, Berryman was just released from the FB team again .... arghhhh!!!