The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

I am an assistant coach for a 7th grade girl's team in Nebraska and have a couple of questions. I may not use the correct technical terms, but I hope I can describe the situations so you understand the game sitations.

1) In Nebraska, team A shooting free throws. On the lane is players B-A-B. We are coaching team B and our head coach tries to move a player back to an empty spot closer to the shooter. We are told by the ref that this is no longer allowed in Nebraska High Schools. Is this correct? For us oldtimers that all filled the lane, why the change?

2) On the second free throw (IMO) the shooter stepped over the line to grab her own rebound. Both myself and the coach reacted to the violation at the same time, so I am confident we both saw it the same way. Being the coaches refs hate, we road the officials as they made their way up the court. I tell you this as back-drop to what happened next. Ball is deflected out of bounds call goes to other team. I say "Wow". I didn't think it was that loud, but the official next to our bench heard and gives me a T. I stand up and ask him if he gave me a T for saying Wow? He gives me a second T for standing up after the first T. He later said in NE you, as a coach, are not allowed to stand up off the bench after the first T. Is this correct? (By the way, I probably deserved a T earlier)

3) We have the same officials for each game and we have 5 more games with these same officials. How would you want this handled for next week and the weeks following, if you were the officials?

I enjoy reading your insights from the officials view and I learn a lot. Still have a long way to go. I would appreciate help from anyone.

John, the Rec Coach.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Husker John
I am an assistant coach for a 7th grade girl's team in Nebraska and have a couple of questions. I may not use the correct technical terms, but I hope I can describe the situations so you understand the game sitations.

1) In Nebraska, team A shooting free throws. On the lane is players B-A-B. We are coaching team B and our head coach tries to move a player back to an empty spot closer to the shooter. We are told by the ref that this is no longer allowed in Nebraska High Schools. Is this correct? For us oldtimers that all filled the lane, why the change?

2) On the second free throw (IMO) the shooter stepped over the line to grab her own rebound. Both myself and the coach reacted to the violation at the same time, so I am confident we both saw it the same way. Being the coaches refs hate, we road the officials as they made their way up the court. I tell you this as back-drop to what happened next. Ball is deflected out of bounds call goes to other team. I say "Wow". I didn't think it was that loud, but the official next to our bench heard and gives me a T. I stand up and ask him if he gave me a T for saying Wow? He gives me a second T for standing up after the first T. He later said in NE you, as a coach, are not allowed to stand up off the bench after the first T. Is this correct? (By the way, I probably deserved a T earlier)

3) We have the same officials for each game and we have 5 more games with these same officials. How would you want this handled for next week and the weeks following, if you were the officials?

I enjoy reading your insights from the officials view and I learn a lot. Still have a long way to go. I would appreciate help from anyone.

John, the Rec Coach.
In response to #1 yes. Lane changes have been made to the High School game. There are several reasons for this. #2. As long as the ball has touched the rim, a player can retrieve his/her own shot, even if it means in the paint. However, if the shooter stepped across the FT line prior to the ball impacting the rim, then it is a violation. Your comment may or may not have warranted a T. Depends on how you have acted previously and what your tone was during the action. Several new points of emphasis are in place this year, one being the "seat belt rule". One T and you are not allowed to stand. I think I read the post correct, you are a JV coach, you should let your head coach address the officials. Normally officials will not respond to assistant coaches. Another POI this season is that assistant coaches remain seated at all times. The only person allowed up is the head coach.

#3. Keep you cool. It's 7th grade basketball, so I'm sure you probably dont have the best officials. They prob. arent getting paid much if at all. Cut them some slack or take your 2 T's and leave.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

1) Yes, it is correct. They've played with FTs restrictions for years to reduce rough play. This is just one more attempt to do so.

2) As an asst. coach, you are not supposed to talk to the officials or stand.

3) Stop questioning the officials on every call they make. They aren't going to change a call or give you the next one because you complain. Coach your kids and leave the officiating to the officials.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

You are the assistant coach. Not that any coach is allowed to "ride" the officals- but you get less chances. If you get off of the chair to question a call it is an automatic T. Many officials cut assitant coaches a break- they shouldn't.

Second with out trying to be confrontational, I am willing to bet several game fees that you do not own a rule book or case book. Often the coaches who yell the most, don't know the rules of the game. Please prove me wrong- by posting and telling us that you have a rule book and read the rule changes this year!

Thirt for the future, sit on the chair and coach your players and leave the officials alone.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Husker John, This post here tells me what kinda of coach you are and what kinda of role model your being for your players. WOW!!
I agree with ref the whole way! In Ohio Asst. are supposed to be seen and not heard. Only head coach is allowed to stand and talk to refs. Any variation and it leads to what happened to you. Your not allowed to stand at all, but after a T on head coach, because of you. Hes not allowed to stand now either. Good Job! The only time you can question a ref as an asst. is during a timeout and be on your best behavior at that time also. So my thoughts are since you have these refs the next five games you go to them next game and give them a sincere apology. Sit down next to the coach, keep your mouth shut and let the kids play and the refs ref. Dont let your actions help to determine the kids game.

[Edited by chrs_schuster on Jan 30th, 2006 at 09:54 AM]
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

I have to agree with what everyone else said. In 7th grade, the players need you paying attention to what they're doing, not the officials. Besides, you're going to be a better team if you coach your team rather than the officials. For example, last season in a varsity game I worked, the visiting coach was on us from the opening tip. We were gettting nothing right. Her team gives up a 15-0 run to begin the game. After about 3 minutes of her complaining, one of my parters have her a T. Now she has to sit and coach her team. They ended up coming back to win in overtime. I haven't had that coach this year, but I've heard she didn't learn her lesson.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Sometimes, the best medicine tastes the worst.

It was not easy reading the comments. However, it is exactly why I wanted the insights from the people that read this forum.

ManinBlue, with regards to the rulebook. Your money is safe. This was a Y game and as a volunteer coach it wasn't required, and I didn't think it was necessary. However, I am rethinking that.

FYI to all. Immediately after the game, I did apologize to our team. I told them that my behavior was not appropriate and I will do better next time. I am concerned about the influence on the team. I have already apologized to the head coach over the phone, and will do so in front of the team tonight.

As far as the officials working the game, I spoke to them afterwards trying to understand why I was run in essentially the same motion. T, I stand up, 2nd T. I am gone.

I appreciate the feedback, will apologize to the two officials next week and follow the guidance offered here.

Thanks folks.

Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for listening. Often when coaches post here, they don't particularly like what we have to say and get defensive. I'm sure our comments weren't exactly what you were looking for, but it says alot for you as a coach that you will rethink some of what you are doing. Good luck!
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

I almost forgot. If it's my game, the first T was probably for being a Husker fan. That's automatic for me.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Husker John
Immediately after the game, I did apologize to our team. I told them that my behavior was not appropriate and I will do better next time. I am concerned about the influence on the team. I have already apologized to the head coach over the phone, and will do so in front of the team tonight.
I think adults do a real service to kids when they apologize to, and in front of, them. We constantly ask/teach kids to own up to their mistakes and then we do a poor job of modeling that behavior for them.

Thank you for recognizing your poor behavior and apologizing. That is being a good role model. As a parent and official, I appreciate that. Now, the tough part will be to ensure that the apology was not a hollow one -- i.e., you've got to sit down and not talk to officials or respond to the officiating all game long! Best wishes.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 08:24pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by Junker
I almost forgot. If it's my game, the first T was probably for being a Husker fan. That's automatic for me.
Nah, Cyclone fans aren't bitter, are they?
Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Not bitter at all after we just rolled the Huskers down there a couple of weeks ago. I'm just bitter I don't get to see Snaqwells during the season anymore.
Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Coach, a few thoughts

Someone posted that it is possible/likely that the officials for your game weren't top flight. I agree and so you should approach each game knowing that they are going to miss several things or get some rules wrong. It's possible that the coach can work with them to have them look in different areas for fouls or help them interpret the rules. The assistant coach doesn't have much of an opportunity to do that.

As to what happened; I personally would only give a asst. coach a T for "Wow" if he had been a jerk for some time, had been warned, and if the whole gym heard him/her say "Wow" in an exaggerated fashion.

I once gave two quick T's to the same player in rec ball. It's something I learned from and something I'll try to never do again because I felt that I unjustly punished them for something which didn't warrant two T's.

I agree with your course of action. Apologize directly to the team and definitely speak to the officials prior to the next game telling them there are no hard feelings.
Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Personally, I think saying "Wow" should never be an unsportsmanlike technical, but the assistant coach standing and yelling anything other than "Nice play," should be.

I mean, "Wow"? It's only a 3-letter word, guys.
Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

I'm sure it's the same for some of you, but for me, the lower level I work, the less crap I'll put up with. In the original post, they were already riding the officials and then an assistant coach jumps off the bench. That's automatic, especially at a lower level game. In a varsity game I might tell the coach to get control of his bench. I just feel that if we enforce sportsmanship hardcore at the lower levels, we won't have nearly as many problems at the varsity level. For example, last night I had a very good JV game, 2 point lead for the home team with about a minute and a half left. A guard for the home team sees a trap coming behind him and travels. As I'm calling the travel he shouts "F...." I give him his well earned T immediately. He was not yelling at anyone, just frustrated. Coaches and parents totally understood and it did end up costing home the game. In a varsity game, if there was any way I could avoid this T by talking to the kid, I would have, but not at the lower level.