View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

I am an assistant coach for a 7th grade girl's team in Nebraska and have a couple of questions. I may not use the correct technical terms, but I hope I can describe the situations so you understand the game sitations.

1) In Nebraska, team A shooting free throws. On the lane is players B-A-B. We are coaching team B and our head coach tries to move a player back to an empty spot closer to the shooter. We are told by the ref that this is no longer allowed in Nebraska High Schools. Is this correct? For us oldtimers that all filled the lane, why the change?

2) On the second free throw (IMO) the shooter stepped over the line to grab her own rebound. Both myself and the coach reacted to the violation at the same time, so I am confident we both saw it the same way. Being the coaches refs hate, we road the officials as they made their way up the court. I tell you this as back-drop to what happened next. Ball is deflected out of bounds call goes to other team. I say "Wow". I didn't think it was that loud, but the official next to our bench heard and gives me a T. I stand up and ask him if he gave me a T for saying Wow? He gives me a second T for standing up after the first T. He later said in NE you, as a coach, are not allowed to stand up off the bench after the first T. Is this correct? (By the way, I probably deserved a T earlier)

3) We have the same officials for each game and we have 5 more games with these same officials. How would you want this handled for next week and the weeks following, if you were the officials?

I enjoy reading your insights from the officials view and I learn a lot. Still have a long way to go. I would appreciate help from anyone.

John, the Rec Coach.