The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 01, 2006, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, I meant A2. Thanks. I went back and corrected that.

My answers are:
1. Backcourt violation
2. No violation (no team control when the ball had fc status) Strangely, there shouldn't even be a 10-second count on this play until A2 catches up to the ball and starts dribbling it!
3. Backcourt violation

I noticed that my answer to #1 differs from the others who have posted so far. Therefore, I'll give a brief summary of my reasoning.

The ruling depends upon whether the ball even gained frontcourt status. I believe that it clearly did. Why? An interrupted dribble is not the same as a dribble. During an interrupted dribble there is no player control.
I agree that A2 started a dribble, but when the ball deflected off his knee and bounced away it became an interuppted dribble. When the ball bounced on the floor in the frontcourt without an player in control, only team control existed at this time, it gained frontcourt status. Since A2's feet were in the backcourt when he first touches the ball again, the status of the ball changes to backcourt. That's a violation.

In short, the three points concept doesn't protect A2 here because this was not a dribble it was an interrupted dribble.

I came up with part 3 as a litmus test of this concept. I believe that it doesn't matter whether the same player is the first to get there or a teammate. It's still a violation because there's no denying that the ball did in fact gain frontcourt status.
Old Sun Jan 01, 2006, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry but you're wrong. Just because there's an interrupted dribble, it doesn't mean the dribble ended. In this case, nothing happened that ended A2's dribble.

The dribble ends when:
a. The dribbler catches or causes the ball to come to rest in one or both hands.
b. The dribbler palms/carries the ball by allowing it to come to rest in one or both hands.
c. The dribbler simultaneously touches the ball with both hands.
d. An opponent bats (intentionally strikes the ball with the hand(s)) the ball.
e. The ball becomes dead.

Since A2's dribble never ended, he can legally continue his dribble. No BC violation.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Jan 01, 2006, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

TH,
I see your point, but I'm not sure that I agree with it. You are saying that the interrupted dribble is still part of the original dribble since it has not yet ended, and that is why the player can continue his dribble when he catches up to the ball. Therefore, since this is all part of one dribble and the player's feet never entered the frontcourt, the ball never attained frontcourt status.

Whenever I disagree with you, Bob, or JR, I am aware that I have to carefully consider my position. In this case, I am on the opposite side from all three of you! That is definitely dangerous ground to be on. However, I'm still not convinced that my understanding of this situation is incorrect.

Here are the rules which give me concern about ruling this not to be a violation:

4-4-3 . . . A ball which is in flight retains the same location as when it was last in contact with a player or the court.

4-4-6 . . . During a dribble from backcourt to frontcourt, the ball is in the frontcourt when the ball and both feet of the dribbler touch the court entirely in the frontcourt.

4-15-1 . . . A dribble is ball movement caused by a player in control who bats (intentionally strikes the ball with the hand(s)) or pushes the ball to the floor once or several times.

4-15-5 . . . An interrupted dribble occurs when the ball is loose after deflecting off the dribbler or after it momentarily gets away from the dribbler. There is no player control during an interrupted dribble.

I'm particularly concerned with 4-4-6 not including the words "or interrupted dribble."
For me whether this play is a violation or not hinges on the status of the ball during the interrupted dribble.

Therefore, could you clarify a few things for me?
1. Is an interrupted dribble considered part of a player's dribble even though there is no player control?
2. When the ball bounces in the frontcourt during the interrupted dribble does it obtain frontcourt status?
3. Why specifically do you rule differently for part 3? When does the ball obtain frontcourt status during this play?

Old Sun Jan 01, 2006, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
1. Is an interrupted dribble considered part of a player's dribble even though there is no player control?
2. When the ball bounces in the frontcourt during the interrupted dribble does it obtain frontcourt status?
3. Why specifically do you rule differently for part 3? When does the ball obtain frontcourt status during this play?
1. Yes. It's an interrupted dribble, not an ended dribble.
2. Not as far as the dribbler is concerned. If A2 grabs the ball instead of continuing the dribble, you have a violation. But he doesn't. He continues dribbling. The rule says there's no FC status until all three points are across on the dribble.
3. Because A3 is NOT the dribbler. When A3 touches the ball, it has FC status and he's in the BC, so it's a violation. The rule doesn't allow A3 to start a dribble. It only allows A2 to continue the original dribble.

Old Sun Jan 01, 2006, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
2. Not as far as the dribbler is concerned. If A2 grabs the ball instead of continuing the dribble, you have a violation. But he doesn't. He continues dribbling. The rule says there's no FC status until all three points are across on the dribble.
3. Because A3 is NOT the dribbler. When A3 touches the ball, it has FC status and he's in the BC, so it's a violation. The rule doesn't allow A3 to start a dribble. It only allows A2 to continue the original dribble.
Well here's the problem. I've been considering an interrupted dribble as not part of the original dribble because there is no player control during that time. Therefore, I wouldn't have applied the exception for during the dribble to the status of the ball on this play. It seems that I have been misunderstanding that concept.

This would be a great scenario for NFHS to issue an interp or new case book play.
Old Sun Jan 01, 2006, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

The best discussion I've ever heard on here.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Well here's the problem. I've been considering an interrupted dribble as not part of the original dribble because there is no player control during that time. Therefore, I wouldn't have applied the exception for during the dribble to the status of the ball on this play. It seems that I have been misunderstanding that concept.

This would be a great scenario for NFHS to issue an interp or new case book play.
This is the best discussion I've ever heard here. A tantalizing, undecidable point under the current garble of rules.
Old Sun Jan 01, 2006, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
I originally was thinking this would be a violation but you sure have me thinking...

What if A2 never again touched the ball? What happens to the 10 count? If another player touches the ball, it wasn't a dribble after all and was in the frontcourt all along.

Regarding your statement about A2 grabbing the ball vs continuing the dribbler. Why would it matter. The dribble still hasn't ended until he grabs it....it seems as if both would have the same conclusion.
Old Sun Jan 01, 2006, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:
Quote:
I originally was thinking this would be a violation but you sure have me thinking...

What if A2 never again touched the ball? What happens to the 10 count? If another player touches the ball, it wasn't a dribble after all and was in the frontcourt all along.

Regarding your statement about A2 grabbing the ball vs continuing the dribbler. Why would it matter. The dribble still hasn't ended until he grabs it....it seems as if both would have the same conclusion.
Good questions. Perhaps we need a part 4.

To be consistent, I think that TH has to change his answer about A2 grabbing the ball.

The 10-second question is really instructive. I don't believe that whether the count continues or ceases can depend upon which player is the next to contact the ball. That's absurd. As Camron asked what if no player comes and touches the ball? Do we have a count or not? Either the ball has frontcourt status or it doesn't. I'm now also of the opinion that TH should reconsider his ruling for A3 coming over and being the first to touch.

For me, I'm still mulling over how action that takes place while a dribble is INTERRUPTED could be deemed to take place DURING the dribble. I'm really struggling with that. Is it all one big dribble or not?

I just don't believe that the NFHS ever intended what we call the three points rule to apply during an interrupted dribble. I think that it was meant to apply to situations in which there is player control, and player control doesn't exist during an interrupted dribble. Right now, I'm on the side of calling backcourt violations in parts 1 and 3, but I'm far from sure that I'm right.
Old Sun Jan 01, 2006, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
To be consistent, I think that TH has to change his answer about A2 grabbing the ball.
That's a consideration. I'll have to study that one but I can see that being legal.

The play is unusual, no doubt about it. But all we have is the rules as they're written. And those rules say that an interrupted dribble doesn't mean the dribble has ended and a dribbler and the ball is not in the FC until all three points are in..

Old Sun Jan 01, 2006, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

Is it all one big dribble or not?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:
Quote:

Good questions. Perhaps we need a part 4.

The 10-second question is really instructive. I don't believe that whether the count continues or ceases can depend upon which player is the next to contact the ball. That's absurd. As Camron asked what if no player comes and touches the ball? Do we have a count or not? Either the ball has frontcourt status or it doesn't. I'm now also of the opinion that TH should reconsider his ruling for A3 coming over and being the first to touch.

For me, I'm still mulling over how action that takes place while a dribble is INTERRUPTED could be deemed to take place DURING the dribble. I'm really struggling with that. Is it all one big dribble or not?

I just don't believe that the NFHS ever intended what we call the three points rule to apply during an interrupted dribble. I think that it was meant to apply to situations in which there is player control, and player control doesn't exist during an interrupted dribble. Right now, I'm on the side of calling backcourt violations in parts 1 and 3, but I'm far from sure that I'm right.
It is eventually. Child is the father of the man.
Old Sun Jan 01, 2006, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

BktBallRef

"And those rules say that an interrupted dribble doesn't mean the dribble has ended"

Say it?

Or is it that the 'rules' don't say that an interrupted dribble means the dribble has ended?

Not the same thing in a rules based system of moderate complexity.

Old Mon Jan 02, 2006, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Re: BktBallRef

Quote:
As you many times do NV, you're posting what you think without any backing from the Fed. There's no indication that the Fed wants us to rule any differently when there's an interrupted dribble.

Quote:
Originally posted by assignmentmaker
"And those rules say that an interrupted dribble doesn't mean the dribble has ended"

Say it?

Or is it that the 'rules' don't say that an interrupted dribble means the dribble has ended?

Six of one, half dozen of the other, Jeff.

Old Mon Jan 02, 2006, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Hmm.. try this play. A1 is dribbling from BC to FC. In order, the following happens:

1) A1's left foot hits the floor in the FC. (one "point")
2) The ball hits the floor in the FC. (two "points")
3) The ball bounces up off the floor and hits A1's left knee. (interrupted dribble)
4) The ball bounces to the BC.
5) A1 moves entirely to the BC and recovers the ball.

BC violation? I think not.

To help answer the question of "does it matter who touches the ball", apply the case where A1 (having dribbled) passes the ball to A2 who isn't looking, and A1 runs and recovers the ball. This becomes a dribble (and a violation) when A1 touches the ball.

Change the play slightly so A1 is standing in the BC and hasn't dribbled. He passes to A2 and the ball reaches the FC. A1, standing in the BC, recovers the ball. From the case play referenced above, we know it's a dribble. Thus, it isn't a BC violation.
Old Mon Jan 02, 2006, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Hmm.. try this play. A1 is dribbling from BC to FC. In order, the following happens:

1) A1's left foot hits the floor in the FC. (one "point")
2) The ball hits the floor in the FC. (two "points")
3) The ball bounces up off the floor and hits A1's left knee. (interrupted dribble)
4) The ball bounces to the BC.
5) A1 moves entirely to the BC and recovers the ball.

BC violation? I think not.
I don't believe this is a very instructive play as far as shedding any light on the original play. The above is obviously not a backcourt violation as the ball never touched the frontcourt during the interrupted dribble. It only touched there during the dribble. During the interrupted dribble the ball hit a player who has backcourt status due to his having one foot in the backcourt. So the ball has backcourt status the entire play.

If we were to alter this play so that it becomes:
4. The ball now bounces on the floor in the frontcourt and then goes into the backcourt without touching any player. 5. After the ball has bounced in the backcourt, A1 moves entirely to the BC and recovers the ball.

I have a backcourt violation here. I'd bet that Tony doesn't.

Quote:
To help answer the question of "does it matter who touches the ball", apply the case where A1 (having dribbled) passes the ball to A2 who isn't looking, and A1 runs and recovers the ball. This becomes a dribble (and a violation) when A1 touches the ball.
This isn't applicable either. In play #1 we don't have any player making a second dribble or throwing a pass which becomes a dribble by definition. We have an interrupted dribble and everyone agrees upon that. Double dribble violations simply don't enter into play.

Quote:
Change the play slightly so A1 is standing in the BC and hasn't dribbled. He passes to A2 and the ball reaches the FC. A1, standing in the BC, recovers the ball. From the case play referenced above, we know it's a dribble. Thus, it isn't a BC violation.
I agree. You give a play that is clearly a dribble by definition and an NFHS interpretation. We need a play that is an interrupted dribble to enhance the discussion.
Old Mon Jan 02, 2006, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: BktBallRef

Quote:
Quote:
As you many times do NV, you're posting what you think without any backing from the Fed. There's no indication that the Fed wants us to rule any differently when there's an interrupted dribble.

Quote:
Originally posted by assignmentmaker

Say it?

Six of one, half dozen of the other, Jeff.
In logic, not in law.