View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 01, 2006, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

TH,
I see your point, but I'm not sure that I agree with it. You are saying that the interrupted dribble is still part of the original dribble since it has not yet ended, and that is why the player can continue his dribble when he catches up to the ball. Therefore, since this is all part of one dribble and the player's feet never entered the frontcourt, the ball never attained frontcourt status.

Whenever I disagree with you, Bob, or JR, I am aware that I have to carefully consider my position. In this case, I am on the opposite side from all three of you! That is definitely dangerous ground to be on. However, I'm still not convinced that my understanding of this situation is incorrect.

Here are the rules which give me concern about ruling this not to be a violation:

4-4-3 . . . A ball which is in flight retains the same location as when it was last in contact with a player or the court.

4-4-6 . . . During a dribble from backcourt to frontcourt, the ball is in the frontcourt when the ball and both feet of the dribbler touch the court entirely in the frontcourt.

4-15-1 . . . A dribble is ball movement caused by a player in control who bats (intentionally strikes the ball with the hand(s)) or pushes the ball to the floor once or several times.

4-15-5 . . . An interrupted dribble occurs when the ball is loose after deflecting off the dribbler or after it momentarily gets away from the dribbler. There is no player control during an interrupted dribble.

I'm particularly concerned with 4-4-6 not including the words "or interrupted dribble."
For me whether this play is a violation or not hinges on the status of the ball during the interrupted dribble.

Therefore, could you clarify a few things for me?
1. Is an interrupted dribble considered part of a player's dribble even though there is no player control?
2. When the ball bounces in the frontcourt during the interrupted dribble does it obtain frontcourt status?
3. Why specifically do you rule differently for part 3? When does the ball obtain frontcourt status during this play?