View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 01, 2006, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

The best discussion I've ever heard on here.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Therefore, could you clarify a few things for me?
1. Is an interrupted dribble considered part of a player's dribble even though there is no player control?
2. When the ball bounces in the frontcourt during the interrupted dribble does it obtain frontcourt status?
3. Why specifically do you rule differently for part 3? When does the ball obtain frontcourt status during this play?
1. Yes. It's an interrupted dribble, not an ended dribble.
2. Not as far as the dribbler is concerned. If A2 grabs the ball instead of continuing the dribble, you have a violation. But he doesn't. He continues dribbling. The rule says there's no FC status until all three points are across on the dribble.
3. Because A3 is NOT the dribbler. When A3 touches the ball, it has FC status and he's in the BC, so it's a violation. The rule doesn't allow A3 to start a dribble. It only allows A2 to continue the original dribble.
Well here's the problem. I've been considering an interrupted dribble as not part of the original dribble because there is no player control during that time. Therefore, I wouldn't have applied the exception for during the dribble to the status of the ball on this play. It seems that I have been misunderstanding that concept.

This would be a great scenario for NFHS to issue an interp or new case book play.
This is the best discussion I've ever heard here. A tantalizing, undecidable point under the current garble of rules.