The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 28, 2005, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Anyone have any tips for me to help with my achillies tendons. The have been aching pretty bad all season. I thought I'd take some time off over break and they'd get better, but they are still a little sore. I'm not looking for definite medical advice on the internet, but any pointers that might help would be greatly appreciated. I am a bit of a weight lifter and didn't hit my legs as hard as I usually do in the pre-season (a mistake I won't make next season). I'm assuming that not getting that work in is adding to my pain. I'm sure it can't be age. Thanks in advance.
Old Wed Dec 28, 2005, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

More "spike" in the egg nog, perhaps?

I've found that as other people age (certainly not me, right?), I need to do more stretching before games. I've found this has helped a lot with various nagging items such as achillies, shin splints, etc. It's just getting into the habit of doing enough to get completely warmed up and stretched out, while sometimes annoying partners during pre-games. If I cheat and don't do it, or come in late and don't have time, I'll pay for it after the ride home or the next morning.

Gettin' old is hell.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Dec 28, 2005, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
More "spike" in the egg nog, perhaps?
That might do it!

Quote:

I've found that as other people age (certainly not me, right?), I need to do more stretching before games. I've found this has helped a lot with various nagging items such as achillies, shin splints, etc. It's just getting into the habit of doing enough to get completely warmed up and stretched out, while sometimes annoying partners during pre-games. If I cheat and don't do it, or come in late and don't have time, I'll pay for it after the ride home or the next morning.
Yup.

Quote:

Gettin' old is hell.
Yup!!
Old Wed Dec 28, 2005, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

Junker,
Stretch, stretch, and then stretch some more. I assume you have good shoes that are still in good shape? And, did I mention stretching? But make sure your muscles are warm before you stretch.
Old Thu Dec 29, 2005, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

About the only thing you can do for the Achilles tendon is to stretch. However, if you're also having heel or arch pain, you might want to look at some orthotics. Google Spenco and you'll find plenty of products.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Dec 29, 2005, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Junker
Anyone have any tips for me to help with my achillies tendons. The have been aching pretty bad all season. I thought I'd take some time off over break and they'd get better, but they are still a little sore. I'm not looking for definite medical advice on the internet, but any pointers that might help would be greatly appreciated. I am a bit of a weight lifter and didn't hit my legs as hard as I usually do in the pre-season (a mistake I won't make next season). I'm assuming that not getting that work in is adding to my pain. I'm sure it can't be age. Thanks in advance.
This might not help you but I stopped lifting a couple of years ago after battling shin splint & achillies problems. I recently started up again but won't do legs until March when the season is over. My leg work now is on a bike or eliptical machine. I know a couple of people who lift & ref, they can handle it but squats & deads take a lot out of me & I'm sure they contributed to my leg aches & pains during the season.
Old Thu Dec 29, 2005, 01:56am
Official Forum Member

Ice helps mine. I also found a great physical therapist who does deep tissue massage and it has really lowered the pain in my left achilles which used to be really sore.

Don't ignore the pain or just push through it for too long. I had achilles debridement surgery this past summer which totally healed my right one (I had ignored the pain and pushed myself for about 3 seasons), but I don't recommend that as a first option.

Z
Old Thu Dec 29, 2005, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

I've found that ankle supports really help. I use the kind that close with velcro, so they're not too tight. I've gotten rid of the pain competely after 3 months of wearing the supports during games or while playing.
Old Thu Dec 29, 2005, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I do make sure I stetch at halftime of my first game and after each game, but they are still bothering me. I also lay off the legs in the weight room during the season. Partially to save my legs, and partially because I hate doing my legs. I'll give the ice a try and then maybe look at ankle braces. Thanks again, I'm off for some spiked egg nog (might help my judgement as well!).
Old Thu Dec 29, 2005, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

I had the same problem until another ref told about the Prostretch. It solved my problem. I use it before every game.
You should try one.
http://www.shapeupshop.com/fitness/f...prostretch.htm
Old Thu Dec 29, 2005, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

Mine (right one) often hurts on the court. I've discovered that when changining directions (180 degrees) I tend to pivot on the ball of that right foot and then push off with my heel in the air. This act seems to put some extra strain on my achilles. I have consciously put my heel lower (even to the point of being on the floor) before I make that initial push. This has made the difference for me. No more pain until I start doing it incorrectly again.

You might want to take a look at exactly when the pain occurs and discover a method for not creating the pain. I haven't had to do anything besides this minor technique adjustment.
Old Fri Dec 30, 2005, 02:52am
Official Forum Member

Stretching???

I have never been on an official debate team at any point in my life… I have, however, been blessed with an elite status as an athlete in the competitive world from time to time and I only submit the following for your consideration…
A. How many of you go out in the morning and start the engines of you cars… trucks… before you drive off to wherever you are going??? Warm-up your engine right??? Then you speed off down the road… What warm-up did you give to your vehicle’s drive train??? You know… those parts that guide, propel, and stabilize your vehicle while it’s in motion… Like the wheels, axels, transmission, drive-line... If you’re like a lot of folks, probably not much… especially if you live close to a freeway, interstate, or turnpike… So why don’t you warm-up these parts as well?
B. Another observation is, a tendon is a bit different than a muscle in fit, function, composition, and maintenance…
I am not a fan of stretching… Well before a good warm-up and workout anyway…
First off, tendons seem to prefer a very s-l-o-w and deliberate motion… Unfortunately problems, aches, and pains associated with tendons come in the forms of tears and separations from the bones that they are fastened to. I.e. the Achilles and shin-splints… In many cases, a foot in a cast is the solution for an Achilles tear… rendering the foot immobile… The same is accomplished from a good taping of the foot’s arch and ankle for shin-splints…
In my workouts, I am a big fan of interval training… relatively short quick bursts of exercise followed with a good rest cycle… I usually start my workouts with a relatively slow warm-up… Warming up those parts of my engine and drive train that will propel, guide, and stabilize my frame during the workout… It has always intrigued me that in doing something like 20 repeat quarters on a track that my fastest… easiest… ones come in the middle of my workout… even after a good warm-up… This says to me that the real muscles that I am using for the real part of my workout warmed up only after being used a few times… While I believe that the warm-up helped too, in a general sense… The real speed came only after the specific muscles, to the range of motion I was using for the repeats, were warmed up…
I do use stretching after a workout… But like some people prefer short quick training workouts to long slow ones… This is what simply works for me…
BTW… I prefer to go out, start my truck, and drive off slowly to warm-up my entire vehicle at the same time… And I make sure that my wiper blades are not frozen to the windshield bfore using them...
Brought to you by JC’s Laws of Obviousity… Not found in any Rule Book, Medical Journal, or Maintenance Manual…
Happy New Year!!

Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he could be gone every weekend.
Old Fri Dec 30, 2005, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Junk:

I've suffered from this since I started officiating. I know what works and what doesn't.

Check your shoes. Then, buy custom insoles for the type of foot you are. Chances are you, like me, have a high arch and need a "cushoning" shoe. If you've done any running and bought running shoes, you know what this means. If no, get briefly familair with pronation factor and type of foot. You might need to go to a running store and get fitted for insoles, so take the shoes you wear on the court.

You will notice a HUGE difference in feel. Then, after your games, ICE is your best friend. Yesterday I did two games, with a break in between. My achilles were bothering me after the game, so I iced them down twice late yesterday -- once for about 20 minutes, and again for about 15 or so. This morning, they feel fine.

Finally, I'd get on a running program if you aren't on one already. It doesn't have to be fast, and can be walk/run. You need to get to where you cover 3 miles or so per day, 6 days a week, preferably in the morning -- even on the days of your games. Its weird, but I find that whatever soreness I have from games, working out, etc. dissapates when I stay active. I guess its a blood flow thing.

Good luck. If you want to trade notes further, email me at skh_91 (at) yahoo.
Old Fri Dec 30, 2005, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Texas Aggie
Junk:

I've suffered from this since I started officiating. I know what works and what doesn't.

Check your shoes. Then, buy custom insoles for the type of foot you are. Chances are you, like me, have a high arch and need a "cushoning" shoe. If you've done any running and bought running shoes, you know what this means. If no, get briefly familair with pronation factor and type of foot. You might need to go to a running store and get fitted for insoles, so take the shoes you wear on the court.

You will notice a HUGE difference in feel. Then, after your games, ICE is your best friend. Yesterday I did two games, with a break in between. My achilles were bothering me after the game, so I iced them down twice late yesterday -- once for about 20 minutes, and again for about 15 or so. This morning, they feel fine.

Finally, I'd get on a running program if you aren't on one already. It doesn't have to be fast, and can be walk/run. You need to get to where you cover 3 miles or so per day, 6 days a week, preferably in the morning -- even on the days of your games. Its weird, but I find that whatever soreness I have from games, working out, etc. dissapates when I stay active. I guess its a blood flow thing.

Good luck. If you want to trade notes further, email me at skh_91 (at) yahoo.
Like TA... Ice is a good thing... Some folks like alternating heat.. cold.. heat.. cold... I prefer cold... In a lot of cases when you deal with tendons and muscle separations... there tends to be inflamation... Heat and inflamation are not always great partners... Heat can aggrevate it even more...
As for insoles or orthodics as some refer to them... These can also help... Unfortuantely, over-the-counter insoles may not be the best bet... As you can imagine, over-the-counter items are massed produced and usually for the average person... Even the greatest of running stores sell these canned versions.. If you wish to consider orthodics, then you might want to visit a podiatrist... For about $225.00 you can get an evaluation of your gait, your feet, and your current shoes for wear and tear. Much in the same way you can tell that the front end of your vehicle needs an alignment by looking at the wear and tear on your tires, you can tell whether you are an over-pronator, pronator, or supernator from looking at the soles and insoles of you current shoes.. and on top of all this you get a set of orthodics that are made for "your" feet...
If you have ever experience Morton's Neuroma, a burning sensation around the ball of the foot, you can get a riser put into the orthodic that pushes the metatarsal bones up and apart so that the nerves that run between them are not pinched...
Yes... They are about seven times more expensive than the over-the-counter versions which may work just fine for you too!
As for a running program... Right On... Several of my running buddies like the mornings... Even though I am up and about by 6 AM, my body doesn't wake up until around 10 AM... I find that lunch hours are a good time for me to run... Whatever works for you is a good things be you a morning, noon, or night person...

Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he could be gone every weekend.
Old Fri Dec 30, 2005, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Whatever you do, make sure you do indeed gently stretch that achilles tendon. Last night I was working the championship game of a varsity boys tournament. With 1:30 left to go in the 3rd place game one of the officials called a foul, and then turned to the table to report it. As he was turning he went down hard. For whatever reason he blew out his achilles tendon. He told me it felt tight during half-time in the locker room and sure enough it went on him. One of my crew members had to replace him for the final 1:30 while the ambulance crew attended to him. Now his season is finished and he's looking at about a year of recovery/physical therapy. What a shame.