Thread: nagging ache
View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 30, 2005, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Junk:

I've suffered from this since I started officiating. I know what works and what doesn't.

Check your shoes. Then, buy custom insoles for the type of foot you are. Chances are you, like me, have a high arch and need a "cushoning" shoe. If you've done any running and bought running shoes, you know what this means. If no, get briefly familair with pronation factor and type of foot. You might need to go to a running store and get fitted for insoles, so take the shoes you wear on the court.

You will notice a HUGE difference in feel. Then, after your games, ICE is your best friend. Yesterday I did two games, with a break in between. My achilles were bothering me after the game, so I iced them down twice late yesterday -- once for about 20 minutes, and again for about 15 or so. This morning, they feel fine.

Finally, I'd get on a running program if you aren't on one already. It doesn't have to be fast, and can be walk/run. You need to get to where you cover 3 miles or so per day, 6 days a week, preferably in the morning -- even on the days of your games. Its weird, but I find that whatever soreness I have from games, working out, etc. dissapates when I stay active. I guess its a blood flow thing.

Good luck. If you want to trade notes further, email me at skh_91 (at) yahoo.