Thread: nagging ache
View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 30, 2005, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Texas Aggie
Junk:

I've suffered from this since I started officiating. I know what works and what doesn't.

Check your shoes. Then, buy custom insoles for the type of foot you are. Chances are you, like me, have a high arch and need a "cushoning" shoe. If you've done any running and bought running shoes, you know what this means. If no, get briefly familair with pronation factor and type of foot. You might need to go to a running store and get fitted for insoles, so take the shoes you wear on the court.

You will notice a HUGE difference in feel. Then, after your games, ICE is your best friend. Yesterday I did two games, with a break in between. My achilles were bothering me after the game, so I iced them down twice late yesterday -- once for about 20 minutes, and again for about 15 or so. This morning, they feel fine.

Finally, I'd get on a running program if you aren't on one already. It doesn't have to be fast, and can be walk/run. You need to get to where you cover 3 miles or so per day, 6 days a week, preferably in the morning -- even on the days of your games. Its weird, but I find that whatever soreness I have from games, working out, etc. dissapates when I stay active. I guess its a blood flow thing.

Good luck. If you want to trade notes further, email me at skh_91 (at) yahoo.
Like TA... Ice is a good thing... Some folks like alternating heat.. cold.. heat.. cold... I prefer cold... In a lot of cases when you deal with tendons and muscle separations... there tends to be inflamation... Heat and inflamation are not always great partners... Heat can aggrevate it even more...
As for insoles or orthodics as some refer to them... These can also help... Unfortuantely, over-the-counter insoles may not be the best bet... As you can imagine, over-the-counter items are massed produced and usually for the average person... Even the greatest of running stores sell these canned versions.. If you wish to consider orthodics, then you might want to visit a podiatrist... For about $225.00 you can get an evaluation of your gait, your feet, and your current shoes for wear and tear. Much in the same way you can tell that the front end of your vehicle needs an alignment by looking at the wear and tear on your tires, you can tell whether you are an over-pronator, pronator, or supernator from looking at the soles and insoles of you current shoes.. and on top of all this you get a set of orthodics that are made for "your" feet...
If you have ever experience Morton's Neuroma, a burning sensation around the ball of the foot, you can get a riser put into the orthodic that pushes the metatarsal bones up and apart so that the nerves that run between them are not pinched...
Yes... They are about seven times more expensive than the over-the-counter versions which may work just fine for you too!
As for a running program... Right On... Several of my running buddies like the mornings... Even though I am up and about by 6 AM, my body doesn't wake up until around 10 AM... I find that lunch hours are a good time for me to run... Whatever works for you is a good things be you a morning, noon, or night person...

Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he could be gone every weekend.