Thread: nagging ache
View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 30, 2005, 02:52am
Official Forum Member

Stretching???

I have never been on an official debate team at any point in my life… I have, however, been blessed with an elite status as an athlete in the competitive world from time to time and I only submit the following for your consideration…
A. How many of you go out in the morning and start the engines of you cars… trucks… before you drive off to wherever you are going??? Warm-up your engine right??? Then you speed off down the road… What warm-up did you give to your vehicle’s drive train??? You know… those parts that guide, propel, and stabilize your vehicle while it’s in motion… Like the wheels, axels, transmission, drive-line... If you’re like a lot of folks, probably not much… especially if you live close to a freeway, interstate, or turnpike… So why don’t you warm-up these parts as well?
B. Another observation is, a tendon is a bit different than a muscle in fit, function, composition, and maintenance…
I am not a fan of stretching… Well before a good warm-up and workout anyway…
First off, tendons seem to prefer a very s-l-o-w and deliberate motion… Unfortunately problems, aches, and pains associated with tendons come in the forms of tears and separations from the bones that they are fastened to. I.e. the Achilles and shin-splints… In many cases, a foot in a cast is the solution for an Achilles tear… rendering the foot immobile… The same is accomplished from a good taping of the foot’s arch and ankle for shin-splints…
In my workouts, I am a big fan of interval training… relatively short quick bursts of exercise followed with a good rest cycle… I usually start my workouts with a relatively slow warm-up… Warming up those parts of my engine and drive train that will propel, guide, and stabilize my frame during the workout… It has always intrigued me that in doing something like 20 repeat quarters on a track that my fastest… easiest… ones come in the middle of my workout… even after a good warm-up… This says to me that the real muscles that I am using for the real part of my workout warmed up only after being used a few times… While I believe that the warm-up helped too, in a general sense… The real speed came only after the specific muscles, to the range of motion I was using for the repeats, were warmed up…
I do use stretching after a workout… But like some people prefer short quick training workouts to long slow ones… This is what simply works for me…
BTW… I prefer to go out, start my truck, and drive off slowly to warm-up my entire vehicle at the same time… And I make sure that my wiper blades are not frozen to the windshield bfore using them...
Brought to you by JC’s Laws of Obviousity… Not found in any Rule Book, Medical Journal, or Maintenance Manual…
Happy New Year!!

Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he could be gone every weekend.