Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 09, 2005, 09:19am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
[/B]
This is where those other provisions of the throw-in all written for designated-spot throw-ins but which still apply unless overridden by something in 7-5-7 come in, specifically the note following 9-2-11.

[/B][/QUOTE]And where may I read that those provisions written for designated spot-throw-ins also apply to endline non-spot throw-ins? I can't seem to find that anywhere in my rule book.
Old Fri Dec 09, 2005, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

I think you can fit 123,687 angels on the head of a pin.
Old Fri Dec 09, 2005, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Re: outside is not inside

Quote:
That depends upon how you interpret the following parts of 7-5-7:

"and from any point outside the end line"

"a teammate(s) outside the boundary line"

To me the presence of the word "outside" in the rule means this way of making a throw-in is illegal even during a non-designated-spot end line throw-in.

It also depends on how you interpret 4-35-3 "The location of an airborne player ... is the same as at the time the player was last in contact with the floor ..."

Old Fri Dec 09, 2005, 09:56am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by FrankHtown
I think you can fit 123,687 angels on the head of a pin.
Define "head"?

Do the angels have to be totally inside the plane of the head? Or can parts of them be outside? Does it matter which parts?

Of course you're right, but I'm keeping this up until Nevada's head explodes.
Old Fri Dec 09, 2005, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Do the angels have to be totally inside the plane of the head? Or can parts of them be outside?
They have to be completely within the cone of headicality.
Old Fri Dec 09, 2005, 02:54pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Do the angels have to be totally inside the plane of the head? Or can parts of them be outside?
They have to be completely within the cone of headicality.
Headicality?

Somehow, that sounds dirty to me.....

Not bad, just dirty.....
Old Sat Dec 10, 2005, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
This is where those other provisions of the throw-in all written for designated-spot throw-ins but which still apply unless overridden by something in 7-5-7 come in, specifically the note following 9-2-11.

[/B]
And where may I read that those provisions written for designated spot-throw-ins also apply to endline non-spot throw-ins? I can't seem to find that anywhere in my rule book. [/B][/QUOTE]

You can't. However, if any of the provisions of 9-2 are broken by the throwing team during an end line throw-in do you call a violation? Then you obviously know that they still apply.

Old Sat Dec 10, 2005, 09:41am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
And where may I read that those provisions written for designated spot-throw-ins also apply to endline non-spot throw-ins? I can't seem to find that anywhere in my rule book. [/B]
You can't. However, if any of the provisions of 9-2 are broken by the throwing team during an end line throw-in do you call a violation? Then you obviously know that they still apply.

[/B][/QUOTE]Apply to what? Under exactly what provision listed under R9-2 is the thrower committing a violation? Exactly what article of 9-2 is being violated by the thrower?

I just can't seem to find one in my R9-2.

The thrower can't be committing a violation under R9-2-1. That article very specifically sez that it applies only to designated spot throw-ins. So.....what other article in R9-2 is being violated, Nevada?

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Dec 10th, 2005 at 09:44 AM]
Old Sat Dec 10, 2005, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

I was about to say that the language in 7-5-7, any point outside the end line, is simply substituted for designated- spot in 9-2-1, but then I realized that this can't be true because the "thrower" may put the ball on the floor OOB or pass it to an OOB teammate and then leave the end line prior to the release of the throw-in pass when the throw-in is an end line throw-in.

Hmmm... all I can say is that 7-5-7 seems to be infinged here, but maybe not. Perhaps we should consider this jumping thrower to still be making the throw-in from a point outside the end line since that is where he jumped from.

Also, there is no penalty provided for violating 7-5-7.

If really pressed, the only rule I could point to in this case to defend calling a violation is 9-2-5. Carry the ball onto the court.
Old Sat Dec 10, 2005, 10:13am
In Memoriam

Quote:

If really pressed, the only rule I could point to in this case to defend calling a violation is 9-2-5. Carry the ball onto the court.
OK, I'm pressing you.

How can the thrower carry the ball onto the court if no part of the thrower ever touches the court in-bounds? And the NOTE after 9-2-11 sez the thrower may break the plane as long as they don't touch the inbounds area before the throw-in is released?
Old Sat Dec 10, 2005, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

OK, I'm pressing you.

How can the thrower carry the ball onto the court if no part of the thrower ever touches the court in-bounds? And the NOTE after 9-2-11 sez the thrower may break the plane as long as they don't touch the inbounds area before the throw-in is released?
BOOM!!! That was my head exploding.

I don't know, JR. The more we go through this the more I am ready to rule that the jump throw-in is legal when the end line running privilege is in effect.

Old Sat Dec 10, 2005, 10:25am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

OK, I'm pressing you.

BOOM!!! That was my head exploding.

I don't know, JR. The more we go through this the more I am ready to rule that the jump throw-in is legal when the end line running privilege is in effect.

Have a good day, Nevada. Gotta take the dogs for a walk- in the damn snow.

And I don't wanna hear that it's 80 in Nevada either.
Old Sat Dec 10, 2005, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

During an endline throw-in, if the ball is thrown onto the court but nobody touches it and it goes out of bounds on the sideline, where does the next throw-in take place?
Old Sat Dec 10, 2005, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by All_Heart
During an endline throw-in, if the ball is thrown onto the court but nobody touches it and it goes out of bounds on the sideline, where does the next throw-in take place?
From the spot of the original throw-in along the end line.
Old Sat Dec 10, 2005, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Is this at the spot of where the player threw it from? If the player runs to the corner and then throws it out of bounds, is the spot in the corner or where every you choose on the endline?