Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 08, 2005, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally posted by jritchie
But we did say in an earlier thread, i think....the opposite was TRUE right... Question??? once the ball has been released by the thrower, opponents may break the throw in boundary plane???

Once the ball is release, he can break the plane or move off of the spot. As long as he/she has the ball, he/she must remain on/over the spot.
Old Thu Dec 08, 2005, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FrankHtown
Since I missed the "How many angels are on the head of a pin" discussion, is this a case of an event not specifically covered in the rules?
Yes. Is the intent of the rule to prevent such a movement? Does the word "Depth" imply only a direction to the OOB side of the boundary line or does it include over the court as well? (we know it doesn't include *on* the court)

Old Thu Dec 08, 2005, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by IREFU2
Quote:
But we did say in an earlier thread, i think....the opposite was TRUE right... Question??? once the ball has been released by the thrower, opponents may break the throw in boundary plane???

Once the ball is release, he can break the plane or move off of the spot. As long as he/she has the ball, he/she must remain on/over the spot.
...but don't forget that defense still can't touch the ball on the oob side of the plane, even after it's been released.
Old Thu Dec 08, 2005, 07:43pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
[/B]
...but don't forget that defense still can't touch the ball on the oob side of the plane, even after it's been released. [/B][/QUOTE]Say what? Even if the defender's hands were in-bounds before the ball was released?

Rules reference?
Old Thu Dec 08, 2005, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
...but don't forget that defense still can't touch the ball on the oob side of the plane, even after it's been released. [/B]
Say what? Even if the defender's hands were in-bounds before the ball was released?

Rules reference? [/B][/QUOTE]

uh oh, I think I've seen this one before. I'll go make the popcorn.
Old Thu Dec 08, 2005, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by IREFU2
Quote:

...but don't forget that defense still can't touch the ball on the oob side of the plane, even after it's been released.
Yes they can on any pass released onto the floor, they cannot touch the ball being passed to a teammate OOB on a throw-in after a made or awarded goal.
Old Fri Dec 09, 2005, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Good question from another forum......

Throw-in question. The thrower, A1, jumps forward and his body is airborne and completely through the plane of the boundary line in-bounds when he releases the throw-in. The throw-in is then legally completed.

Legal? Violation?

Rules citation?

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Dec 8th, 2005 at 08:35 AM]
Violation per Rule 4-42 notation, the ball was released while not having at least one foot over the designated spot.

Depth to me applies to the thrower's spot with unlimited depth from that point going backwards and not further forward beyond the boundary line.
Old Fri Dec 09, 2005, 05:24am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny1784
Quote:
Good question from another forum......

Throw-in question. The thrower, A1, jumps forward and his body is airborne and completely through the plane of the boundary line in-bounds when he releases the throw-in. The throw-in is then legally completed.

Legal? Violation?

Rules citation?

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Dec 8th, 2005 at 08:35 AM]
Violation per Rule 4-42 notation, the ball was released while not having at least one foot over the designated spot.

Depth to me applies to the thrower's spot with unlimited depth from that point going backwards and not further forward beyond the boundary line.
So......what's the call if it isn't a designated spot throw-in--i.e. after a made shot?
Old Fri Dec 09, 2005, 06:32am
Official Forum Member

outside is not inside

That depends upon how you interpret the following parts of 7-5-7:

"and from any point outside the end line"

"a teammate(s) outside the boundary line"

To me the presence of the word "outside" in the rule means this way of making a throw-in is illegal even during a non-designated-spot end line throw-in.

Old Fri Dec 09, 2005, 06:45am
In Memoriam

Re: outside is not inside

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref

To me the presence of the word "outside" in the rule means this way of making a throw-in is illegal even during a non-designated-spot end line throw-in.

Then why isn't it a violation if the thrower has some miscellaneous body parts, like his arms, inside the end line while he's making the throw-in?
Old Fri Dec 09, 2005, 07:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

Then why isn't it a violation if the thrower has some miscellaneous body parts, like his arms, inside the end line while he's making the throw-in?
As you know all the other provisions written for the designated-spot throw-in still apply when a team is permitted to run the end line. The only differences are what is specified in 7-5-7. Therefore, he only has to keep one foot on or over "any point outside the end line" instead of the designated spot.

Old Fri Dec 09, 2005, 07:25am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

As you know all the other provisions written for the designated-spot throw-in still apply when a team is permitted to run the end line. The only differences are what is specified in 7-5-7. Therefore, he only has to keep one foot on or over "any point outside the end line" instead of the designated spot.

That's nice.

Are you gonna answer the question above though?
Old Fri Dec 09, 2005, 07:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's nice.

I thought I did. We must be thinking of these statements in a different light.
I intended to convey that the point where the throw-in is made from has to be considered to be where the player's foot is, not where his hands, head, knees, etc. are, nor from where the ball is released.
According to the rules that point must be outside the end line. So he has to keep at least one foot back. That makes him "outside." That's all I meant.

How did you take my post?

Old Fri Dec 09, 2005, 07:53am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's nice.

I intended to convey that the point where the throw-in is made from has to be considered to be where the player's foot is, not where his hands, head, knees, etc. are, nor from where the ball is released.
According to the rules that point must be outside the end line. So he has to keep at least one foot back. That makes him "outside." That's all I meant.

As saying that "outside" in R7-5-7 was all-inclusive.

If "outside" isn't all-inclusive, then why should it apply only to a foot and not an arm? What language in R7-5-7 sez one is OK and the other one isn't-- if that body part happens to be the one "inside"?
Old Fri Dec 09, 2005, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's nice.

As saying that "outside" in R7-5-7 was all-inclusive.

If "outside" isn't all-inclusive, then why should it apply only to a foot and not an arm? What language in R7-5-7 sez one is OK and the other one isn't-- if that body part happens to be the one "inside"?
This is where those other provisions of the throw-in all written for designated-spot throw-ins but which still apply unless overridden by something in 7-5-7 come in, specifically the note following 9-2-11.