The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 22, 2005, 06:26pm
Administrator

Dan_ref:

The previous thread was closed before I could respond to your analysis of the over and under, but I am with you on the over. I too, will bet $5 on the over.

Be that as it may, I stand by my post in the closed thread.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Apr 22, 2005, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Dan_ref:

The previous thread was closed before I could respond to your analysis of the over and under, but I am with you on the over. I too, will bet $5 on the over.

Be that as it may, I stand by my post in the closed thread.

MTD, Sr.
Mark, my friends call me Dan. You can call me Sir.

I mostly agree with you - if A2 catches the ball before the horn (incorrectly) sounds then take off *some* time off & go to the new spot. I can't imagine any referee working any game of consequence that would not have a sense of how much time would have correctly elapsed. However, if the horn clearly sounds while the ball is in the air blow the whole thing dead & do it over. In either case have a good heart to heart with the timer.

As for your bet - I'll take your bet on the closed thread, I'm going with the under. You can paypal me the $5.

Old Fri Apr 22, 2005, 08:08pm
In Memoriam

Old Sun Apr 24, 2005, 02:58am
Official Forum Member

Do-overs are only allowed during the SEC tournament in NCAA Women's play.

I have to agree with MTD on this one.
4.1 on the clock, ball OOB near the division line.

Don't negate a completed throw-in. That was action which took place and has to count.

Since you don't know exactly how much time to take off the clock, don't take off any. Tell the coaches that the timer made a mistake and that's the way it goes.

Hopefully, the NFHS will adopt the .3 minimum rule.
Old Sun Apr 24, 2005, 04:57am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref

Don't negate a completed throw-in. That was action which took place and has to count.

Since you don't know exactly how much time to take off the clock, don't take off any. Tell the coaches that the timer made a mistake and that's the way it goes.

That's patently ridiculous. It's completely contrary to the very explicit language of R5-10-1.
Old Sun Apr 24, 2005, 09:30am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

That's patently ridiculous. It's completely contrary to the very explicit language of R5-10-1.

It is absolutely not "patently ridiculus" because it is the correct thing by rule.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Apr 24, 2005, 10:51am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

It is absolutely not "patently ridiculus" because it is the correct thing by rule.

Cite a rule that negates R5-10 then and backs up that statement, please.

You have a throw-in with 4.1 seconds left and a team having to go 84 feet to score. The timer scews up (please let it be the HOME timer), so you now correct the timing mistake by giving that team a throw-in with 42 feet to go to score and the exact same amount of time left on the clock. Helluva deal for the offense! The defense might not be too happy with your reasoning though. Hell, if I was the home timer, I'd screw up again and give my team a throw-in under the basket that they're shooting at. You'd go along with that, and give them the whole 4.1 seconds to boot too. Ludicrous!

Questions:
(1) If the throwing team hadda scored on a quick, long pass with the clock not starting instead of the play cited, and you discovered the clock problem during the dead ball after they scored, are you gonna count the basket and then give the team that was scored on a throw-in with 4.1 seconds on the clock? Using your logic, you pretty well have to, don't you?
(2)If the player caught the first throw-in pass at center and then travelled, and you found out that the clock never started until after the travel, are you gonna give the other team the ball at center for the violation, and still give them the full 4.1 seconds also? Using your logic again, you have to, don't you?

As far as I can tell so far, you can't cite a rule that backs up your statement and negates R5-10, and your whole argument is based on the play happening in a space-time continuum where no time is ever consumed for actual happenings. Correct?

Lah me.
Old Sun Apr 24, 2005, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

The ball was live...throwin completed/shot made...ball becomes dead when official blows whistle in response to the horn. The action stands and the next throwin will be located at the OOB spot nearest the ball when it became dead; there is no provision for canceling live ball action other than in the case of correctable errors.

The only question is how much time to put on the clock.
Old Sun Apr 24, 2005, 02:08pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
The ball was live...throwin completed/shot made...ball becomes dead when official blows whistle in response to the horn. The action stands and the next throwin will be located at the OOB spot nearest the ball when it became dead; there is no provision for canceling live ball action other than in the case of correctable errors.

The only question is how much time to put on the clock.
And the answer to that question is? Iow, if you don't know exactly how much time to put on the clock, can you, by rule(any rule), put any time back on the clock?

Or do you haveta leave it at 4.1 seconds, as Mark asserts?

Old Mon Apr 25, 2005, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
You can have do-overs in the Olympics as well. Since the US team has not been as dominant lately they haven't had a reason to invoke the rule recently.
Quote:

I can't see myself telling coach B that his opponent gets a free ride to midcourt.
Old Mon Apr 25, 2005, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
I can't see myself telling coach B that his opponent gets a free ride to midcourt.
I got cut off the last time, so I didn't get a chance to mention I really like the seasoned salt on popcorn...

Anyway, I agree with Dan and JR - there is no way I can explain to a coach that beause of the person at the table the other team gets to take out the ball that much closer to the basket with no additional time off the clock. But since it's Monday and I'm feeling pretty wishy-washy, I'm not sure there's a specific rule allowing the do-over, either. My guess is the rules committee isn't specifically allowing one because I would think that would become one of the most over-used and abused rules in the book. From a practical standpoint, I can't see either coach getting upset with you if the play is re-started back at the endline with 4.1, and after you've had a good conversation with the timer. The only person I can see getting upset with that ruling might be MTD Sr., and the only way I would know it was him was if there was a statue and a stack of old rules books next to him in the stands...

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Apr 25, 2005, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

How about when, on the do over, the team throws the ball away because the play they just drew up was now exposed. Team makes a valid and legal throwin to midcourt. The the ball becomes dead. Throwin at midcourt. There should be no debate on that issue.

As I said before, the question question is how much time, if any, do you adjust the clock by.
Old Mon Apr 25, 2005, 04:42pm
Administrator

Quote:
How about when, on the do over, the team throws the ball away because the play they just drew up was now exposed. Team makes a valid and legal throwin to midcourt. The the ball becomes dead. Throwin at midcourt. There should be no debate on that issue.

As I said before, the question question is how much time, if any, do you adjust the clock by.

Camron:

I will put the check in the mail tomorrow morning. Thanks for coming to my defense.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Apr 25, 2005, 05:09pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

And the questions to you are still the same:
(1)If you don't know how much time to adjust the clock with, what rule will allow you to adjust the clock with a guess? Iow, what rule are you using to negate the very specific language of R5-10, Camron?
(2)If you can't use R5-10, then what rule are you using to move that throw-in to center if you don't take any time off the clock?

Mark is also saying that you don't take any time off the clock; you just give a new throw-in at center with the same original 4.1 seconds on the clock. Are you coming to his defense on that, Camron, as he so stated?
Old Mon Apr 25, 2005, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I think there was some question as to whether the horn went off before or after the catch in bounds. If the horn went off before the catch, then there was no valid and legal throw-in, so then where do you put the throw-in and how much time? The "what if" of the team then throwing it away has no basis in this decision. What if the team throws it away after they're at mid-court, because the drawn up play was designed for the backcourt? Do you not call a foul, because "what if" the player fouled is going to miss the free throw? "What if's" don't apply here, just the rules. From a practical standpoint, I still think there are only two possibilities. One, have your talk with the timer, put 4.1 back on the clock, and take the ball out on the endline. Or, two, get together with your partner(s) and figure out how much time elapsed from the catch until the horn went off (don't forget the talk with the timer), take off the elapsed time, and put the ball in play where the horn went off. But there is no way I can justify putting the ball in play where the horn went off with the full 4.1 seconds. This may be one of those situations that separates the "Rulebook Ronnies" from the common-sense officials. Maybe there is roundabout justification, but I would rather be remembered for doing it "slightly wrong" and seemingly fair to both teams.

Sorry Mark; does this mean I'm not getting a check this time?

(Used with permission.)
Closed Thread