The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 25, 2005, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

last game of 6.

I am lead and A is on a fast break. I am at the endline watching action when the ball is turned over and I start heading for the other end and see about 5 fans on the court in a big cluster. At first thought I was thinking maybe a child ran out on the court and then i see a few players holding other players and a couple of moms pointing and grabbing. I started hitting the whistle and running to the other end to break up whatever was going on.

I have no clue what just transpired. My partner was somewhere down on that side and after the dust cleared and went and asked him what he saw and how it started. He had no idea either but he said that he did see 2 players strike each other. I never saw if anyone came of the bench or not and I don't think he did either. We just ejected both players and went to the AP.

All in total Dan after 6 games we ejected 7 kids and handed out about another 6 T's. I tend to have a very short leash during AAU ball. Once during a free throw B1 was at the bottom and he backed so far into A1 that it moved him about 6 feet. After that shot i told all players to come str8 in and was looking at him when I said it. He said I am just blocking out. I said no you are just pushing with your butt instead of with your hand. He kind of shrugged his shoulders and then when he went to inbound the ball he said, "Awwww F... that" Tweet.

I even tried to explain it to him after the game, don't think he really wanted to hear the logic behind it so I moved on to someone else willing to learn.

Sorry so long
Old Mon Apr 25, 2005, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref

Well, my 6th game was cancelled so I know I had more fun than you did! .

btw, I know you didn't ask but here's a tip you can pass along to your partner: As L going to new T on a fast break never, ever leave players behind you.
Old Mon Apr 25, 2005, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Yeah, I still do not know what in the h$ll he was doing back there. Maybe he had fallen asleep for a brief moment. He is an older fellow so maybe he was just catching a cat nap.
Old Mon Apr 25, 2005, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

Well, my 6th game was cancelled so I know I had more fun than you did! .

btw, I know you didn't ask but here's a tip you can pass along to your partner: As L going to new T on a fast break never, ever leave players behind you.
Good point...thus the name...trail.
Old Mon Apr 25, 2005, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Angry

During the first two weekends of April, I had 20 games and only two technical fouls. This past weekend, I worked 7 games, had 7 technical fouls and 3 ejections. And in my last two games played yesterday, I worked with two monks who had just left the monastery. They were easily the weakest two officials that I have worked with in the past 5 years.

Not a good weekend.
Old Mon Apr 25, 2005, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Do you think it had anything to do with them being Monks?
Old Mon Apr 25, 2005, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
During the first two weekends of April, I had 20 games and only two technical fouls. This past weekend, I worked 7 games, had 7 technical fouls and 3 ejections. And in my last two games played yesterday, I worked with two monks who had just left the monastery. They were easily the weakest two officials that I have worked with in the past 5 years.

Not a good weekend.
2 monks?

As the bartender said when a horse, a priest and a gorilla walked into his bar: "What is this, some kind of joke?"

Old Mon Apr 25, 2005, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Not a good weekend.
Do what???
No way!
OK, what's the punchline?
Old Mon Apr 25, 2005, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Monks is a term that we use to refer to officials who seem to have no idea why they're on the floor or what they're supposed to do while there. It's as if they were monks who have just left the monastery and have no clue what a basketball game is.

In this case, they were trying to do things such as:

-Inbounding the ball on the baseline when it went out on the sideline
-Trying to go to the AP when a double foul was called while team control existed.
-Inbound the ball at the division line after a T.
-Calling a travel from L when the play was between the division line and the arc.
-Just a general all around inability to make calls that needed to be called and leaving those alone that didn't.
Old Mon Apr 25, 2005, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Well that makes alot more sense than what I thought you meant.

That's kinda funny, mind if I use it? Good, cuz I already did.
Old Mon Apr 25, 2005, 01:14pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Talking

And you can identify the monks really easily because their white stripes might be a little browned, or they are actually wearing the collars. They are also identifiable as they don't carry a whistle and try to make the Amen loud enough to stop play!
Old Mon Apr 25, 2005, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Im confused, I hope I don't get sent to the monastary

Quote:
Monks is a term that we use to refer to officials who seem to have no idea why they're on the floor or what they're supposed to do while there. It's as if they were monks who have just left the monastery and have no clue what a basketball game is.

-Trying to go to the AP when a double foul was called while team control existed.
-Calling a travel from L when the play was between the division line and the arc.
-Just a general all around inability to make calls that needed to be called and leaving those alone that didn't.
Hey BBR,
What is wrong with 2 and 3?? or do they not use fed rules in these games you worked???
Old Mon Apr 25, 2005, 07:34pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
And some of those type officials violate the M&M principle by not letting the whistle melt in their mouths not in their hands.
Old Mon Apr 25, 2005, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Im confused, I hope I don't get sent to the monastary

Quote:
Originally posted by cmathews
Quote:

Hey BBR,
What is wrong with 2 and 3?? or do they not use fed rules in these games you worked???
AAU Girls State Tournament = NCAA Women's Rules
Old Tue Apr 26, 2005, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

whew

so I can stay away from the monestary then?? LOL