View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 25, 2005, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
How about when, on the do over, the team throws the ball away because the play they just drew up was now exposed. Team makes a valid and legal throwin to midcourt. The the ball becomes dead. Throwin at midcourt. There should be no debate on that issue.

As I said before, the question question is how much time, if any, do you adjust the clock by.
I think there was some question as to whether the horn went off before or after the catch in bounds. If the horn went off before the catch, then there was no valid and legal throw-in, so then where do you put the throw-in and how much time? The "what if" of the team then throwing it away has no basis in this decision. What if the team throws it away after they're at mid-court, because the drawn up play was designed for the backcourt? Do you not call a foul, because "what if" the player fouled is going to miss the free throw? "What if's" don't apply here, just the rules. From a practical standpoint, I still think there are only two possibilities. One, have your talk with the timer, put 4.1 back on the clock, and take the ball out on the endline. Or, two, get together with your partner(s) and figure out how much time elapsed from the catch until the horn went off (don't forget the talk with the timer), take off the elapsed time, and put the ball in play where the horn went off. But there is no way I can justify putting the ball in play where the horn went off with the full 4.1 seconds. This may be one of those situations that separates the "Rulebook Ronnies" from the common-sense officials. Maybe there is roundabout justification, but I would rather be remembered for doing it "slightly wrong" and seemingly fair to both teams.

Sorry Mark; does this mean I'm not getting a check this time?

(Used with permission.)