The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 22, 2005, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

CORRECTABLE ERRORS

Rule 2-10-2 ... In order to correct any of the official's errors listed in Article 1, such error must be recognized by an official during the first dead ball AFTER the clock has properly started.

DEAD BALL

The ball becomes dead, or remains dead, when:

Rule 6-7-1 ... A goal, as in 5-1, is made.

Okay I understand the "first" dead ball issue here brought up by many of you. And I happened to discuss this sitch with one of my association officers this morning. (He called to confirm a rec game I was working tonight and is a long time official).

His interpretation is - the intent of the correctable error rule is to recognize the error during the first dead ball which has clock stoppage. He agreed the goal itself is a dead ball by rule, but with no clock stoppage. He felt I was overanalyzing and reading too much into the correctable error rule.

My impression was this is an accepted interpretation in our area and State.
Old Tue Mar 22, 2005, 04:42pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by WyMike
His interpretation is - the intent of the correctable error rule is to recognize the error during the first dead ball which has clock stoppage. He agreed the goal itself is a dead ball by rule, but with no clock stoppage. He felt I was overanalyzing and reading too much into the correctable error rule.
WyMike,
No big deal.
So, you both got it wrong.
We learn.
mick
Old Tue Mar 22, 2005, 05:15pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
CORRECTABLE ERRORS

Rule 2-10-2 ... In order to correct any of the official's errors listed in Article 1, such error must be recognized by an official during the first dead ball AFTER the clock has properly started.

DEAD BALL

Okay I understand the "first" dead ball issue here brought up by many of you. And I happened to discuss this sitch with one of my association officers this morning. (He called to confirm a rec game I was working tonight and is a long time official).

Your association officer is wrong. The intent of the rule is to recognize the error during the first dead ball after the clock started. PERIOD. Clock stoppage has got absolutely nuthin' to do with that first dead ball.
Old Tue Mar 22, 2005, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
CORRECTABLE ERRORS

DEAD BALL

Your association officer is wrong. The intent of the rule is to recognize the error during the first dead ball after the clock started. PERIOD. Clock stoppage has got absolutely nuthin' to do with that first dead ball.
In a really good game, you can have stretches of play that last several minutes without a dead ball other than made baskets. If the only-clock-stoppage dead balls were the intent, then how long is too long?

If we've played on for four minutes without a stoppage, then we're informed of a correctable error, is it too late? Sure feels like too late to me.

What if it's the last four minutes of regulation? What if the clock stoppage is due to the end of the fourth quarter, then the scorekeeper tells us (after her team loses by 1, of course) that there should have been a 1-and-1 at the 2:08 mark? Is that too late?

As much as it sucks to have to tell a coach that we, the officiating crew, messed up and cost them something, you absolutely have to close the window of opportunity for correcting an error at a well defined time (to prevent unsettleable arguments) and the window has to be fairly short. If the window of opportunity is too long, it begins to affect the integrity of the game.
Old Tue Mar 22, 2005, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

Just to clarify for myself on the goal being the first dead ball in the sitch I originally described, Rule 2-11-5 goes on to say "...Points scored, consumed time and additional activity, which may occur prior to the recognition of an error, shall not be nullified."

So in my oroginal post, when Red is fouled and is not awarded his merited FT's but is instead awarded a throw-in. Then Red scores 2 pts during that possession. Between the time the ball passes through the goal (first dead ball) and before Blue takes possession to inbound the ball, if I recognize the error I would award Red their tosses - PLUS - they keep the 2 points they scored?

So they could have a 4 point swing due to book error?

Then it would also be correct to state if there are two successful try attempts between the error and the time it is recognized, it is too late to correct the error and play resumes. Do I have it down now?
Old Tue Mar 22, 2005, 07:49pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Just to clarify for myself on the goal being the first dead ball in the sitch I originally described, Rule 2-11-5 goes on to say "...Points scored, consumed time and additional activity, which may occur prior to the recognition of an error, shall not be nullified."

So in my oroginal post, when Red is fouled and is not awarded his merited FT's but is instead awarded a throw-in. Then Red scores 2 pts during that possession. Between the time the ball passes through the goal (first dead ball) and before Blue takes possession to inbound the ball, if I recognize the error I would award Red their tosses - PLUS - they keep the 2 points they scored?

So they could have a 4 point swing due to book error?

Yes. Also, while blue is dribbling up the court, you may stop play if the scorekeeper tells you to shoot the bonus. As long as recognition occurs before the second dead ball. - Garbage edited by mick

Yes, that is a 4-point swing. The officials (including table officials) made a mistake and now it's time to pay the piper.

Then it would also be correct to state if there are two successful try attempts between the error and the time it is recognized, it is too late to correct the error and play resumes. Do I have it down now?
It seems you have it. Now go sell your "interpreter" or go buy another.
mick

[Edited by mick on Mar 23rd, 2005 at 08:25 AM]
Old Tue Mar 22, 2005, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick

Yes. Also, while blue is dribbling up the court, you may stop play if the scorekeeper tells you to shoot the bonus. As long as recognition occurs before the second dead ball.

Sorry Mick, but you are not being precise. It is too late to correct the error at that time.

The error must be recognized before the second LIVE ball in order to fix it. The book says "during the first dead ball after the clock has properly started." Once that dead ball becomes live again, (In this particular case, when the ball is at Blue's disposal for the throw-in after Red's goal) it is too late.

WyMike, It sounds to me like you now understand the process correctly.
Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 07:48am
In Memoriam

Red face Yer right Nevada.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:

Yes. Also, while blue is dribbling up the court, you may stop play if the scorekeeper tells you to shoot the bonus. As long as recognition occurs before the second dead ball.

Sorry Mick, but you are not being precise. It is too late to correct the error at that time.

The error must be recognized before the second LIVE ball in order to fix it. The book says "during the first dead ball after the clock has properly started." Once that dead ball becomes live again, (In this particular case, when the ball is at Blue's disposal for the throw-in after Red's goal) it is too late.

WyMike, It sounds to me like you now understand the process correctly.
Thanks, Nevada.
Yes it would appear I confused the phrases
  • During 1st dead ball
  • Before 2nd dead ball
  • Before 2nd live ball.
    I'll do better next time.
    Thanks again.
    mick
    Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 08:19am
    Official Forum Member

Re: Yer right Nevada.

Quote:

Thanks, Nevada.
  • During 1st dead ball
  • Before 2nd dead ball
  • Before 2nd live ball.
    Thanks again.
    mick
  • No worrys. It just surprised me, since you usually do better than I do.
    Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 08:40am
    In Memoriam

Re: Re: Yer right Nevada.

Quote:
    Originally posted by Nevadaref
    Quote:

Thanks, Nevada.
  • During 1st dead ball
  • Before 2nd dead ball
  • Before 2nd live ball.
    Thanks again.
    mick
  • No worrys. It just surprised me, since you usually do better than I do.
    Nevada,
    That correctable error window is very small, indeed!
    It would seem that once the ball is in the hands of the in-thrower [Live ball], then that to is too late.
    Yuck! Doesn't feel good.

I think I must continue to avoid those situations.
    mick
    Old Wed Mar 23, 2005, 08:45am
    Official Forum Member

Ah, yes, the advice that the best way to avoid problems with correctable errors, which was given to me in my very first year of officiating before I ever stepped onto the court,

DON'T ALLOW THEM TO HAPPEN IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!!!!!!