View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 21, 2005, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
WyMike,

I'm sure you've probably had somebody (or several somebodies) tell you this already... But you want to try and maintain an awareness of how many team fouls each team has in the half. If they're on the scoreboard, that's a big help. But if they're not, then you need to keep an approximate count in your head. Anytime there's a foul and you think you're nearing the magic number, ask the book. Don't wait until you're at seven to ask, ask on 5 or 6 to verify that you're mental count is correct. Go to the table every-so-often during breaks and check the team fouls too. It gets more difficult as the day wears on (because you're mentally tired and after so many halves, they all run together in your mind), so you need to be more vigilant the more games you work.
I'm learning BITS!

Had a good friend of mine in our association moved some things around to work with me this weekend. He does some college work and also works the State Title games. He helped me emphasize a certain area to work on for each game and hopefully we'll get to work together next season more often.

After my last game I stuck around to observe him and his long time partner (who worked the Boys 4A State game this year) run the championship game for the tourney this weekend.

One thing I noticed (I was sitting next to the scorer's table) he was very aware of the foul counts. To the point he asked about a specific players count and when he was told she had four he shook his head and said, "Man and only 2:36 into the 3rd..." and walked off.

His partner also came to the table to verify team foul counts, I try to do this but get so wrapped up in the game I sometimes forget.

Just by being an observer I gained quite a bit of knowledge I didn't need to work for on my own.

And I can't believe I forgot about the dead ball after the shot. It was right in front of me. I even went through the play sequence with the coaches in conference and never counted it... Now I know better and THAT I learned by working for it. Thanks for the responses.