View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 22, 2005, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by WyMike
CORRECTABLE ERRORS

Rule 2-10-2 ... In order to correct any of the official's errors listed in Article 1, such error must be recognized by an official during the first dead ball AFTER the clock has properly started.

DEAD BALL

The ball becomes dead, or remains dead, when:

Rule 6-7-1 ... A goal, as in 5-1, is made.

Okay I understand the "first" dead ball issue here brought up by many of you. And I happened to discuss this sitch with one of my association officers this morning. (He called to confirm a rec game I was working tonight and is a long time official).

His interpretation is - the intent of the correctable error rule is to recognize the error during the first dead ball which has clock stoppage. He agreed the goal itself is a dead ball by rule, but with no clock stoppage. He felt I was overanalyzing and reading too much into the correctable error rule.

My impression was this is an accepted interpretation in our area and State.
Your association officer is wrong. The intent of the rule is to recognize the error during the first dead ball after the clock started. PERIOD. Clock stoppage has got absolutely nuthin' to do with that first dead ball.
In a really good game, you can have stretches of play that last several minutes without a dead ball other than made baskets. If the only-clock-stoppage dead balls were the intent, then how long is too long?

If we've played on for four minutes without a stoppage, then we're informed of a correctable error, is it too late? Sure feels like too late to me.

What if it's the last four minutes of regulation? What if the clock stoppage is due to the end of the fourth quarter, then the scorekeeper tells us (after her team loses by 1, of course) that there should have been a 1-and-1 at the 2:08 mark? Is that too late?

As much as it sucks to have to tell a coach that we, the officiating crew, messed up and cost them something, you absolutely have to close the window of opportunity for correcting an error at a well defined time (to prevent unsettleable arguments) and the window has to be fairly short. If the window of opportunity is too long, it begins to affect the integrity of the game.