View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 21, 2005, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

I have a whole slew of new stories after I ended up working 18 games over two days at a 5th-9th boys and girls tourney! "Native American" rivalries, intentional fouls, 2 T's were given out, gang signs were flashed, coaches were sat down, other so-called "referees" not showing up for games and my first correctable error.

Here's the correctable situation... It's my eighth game of the day, it's late, and my dogs are tired as well as my mind. There's a kid running the clock and a parent of the visiting team is running the books. I learned a good lesson here too.

Keep in mind this is my first year and I have a recent HS grad with no ref experience and his whistle has been noticeably silent.

It's an 8th grade very competitive close boys game and both coaches aren't in the best of moods. They aren't happy with my partners calls - or more so his non-calls - and all I hear are their "big men" are getting hammered underneath and for me to do something about it.

With three minutes left, Red is up by a few points and is fouled by Blue down low. My partner finally makes a good low call and comes out to report it. We've been switching as I'm trying to keep good mechanics throughout the game.

It's a non-shooting fouled so I administer Red's throw-in from underneath and they end up scoring 2 points.

Blue then inbounds the ball and begins to move towards the front court when Red decides to put the press on.

Blue makes a pass which is deflected by Red and goes OOBs. My partner signals the call and points in Blues favor right in front of the table. I push partner, he goes down the court and I begin to administer the throw in when the parent keeping the books tells me there should have been a one-and-one on the last foul for Red, not a throw-in.

I instinctively go into an immediate first year panic mode as the parent apologizes for "forgetting" to notify the reporting official there was a bonus shot coming. The parent was from the team who was a few points down in a very tight, heated and close game which didn't help matters with the other team, coaches and parents. Tempers were flaring and I was working to keep everyone calm.

An argument ensues between the Red and Blue coach on what happens or doesn't happen and how the points and clock should be treated. Red Coach is yelling at the score keeper laying blame on him and accusing him of cheating for his Blue team. It's obvious they've met in other tournaments and aren't overly friendly with each other based on the play and hard fouls given.

Tell me what you would have done, and I'll post what I did do later today.